Review: ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD officially released the Radeon RX 460 moments ago. We figured it'd be a good tike to test the ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX Gaming 4 GB. The graphics card is positioned in the budget range and will pe...

Review: ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX Gaming

2. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 8GB
    Expected GTX950 performance, so I'm not disappointed. It has indeed enough power for LoL and DOTA2 @1080p. How to flop? Price above 130/140€.

P.S: There is space for one RX465 @170€, one that can battle with GTX960 @DX11 and OpenGL and GTX970 @DX12 and Vulkan.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Again we in EU got fcked while US enjoyings decent prices. Card at 100$ US beating a gtx960?

Damn, nvidia is getting rekt at midrange segment lately.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    1060 is a better overall card than 480.

Won't take much for them to release a new 1050 to beat this one.

Comparing old gen and saying wrecked, lol you're going to have to try to be less obvious as a troll

Since this one has good power consumption, it seems AMD decided to just tack on more cores to make the 480 considering how badly inefficient it is.

A 470 is only 10% slower yet uses what, 30% more power?

A 1080 equivalent will be well over 250 watts using the same architecture.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

5. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 8GB
    For DX11 and OpenGL, but you won't see many future DX11/OGL releases, so the actual games will run well on both cards and future DX12/Vulkan will (probably) run better on RX480.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 1060 being better than the 480 is arguable. I'd say they are even, they trade blows in various areas and markets depending on pricing. Plus with newer drivers the 480 is gaining ground in performance. As DX12 gets further adopted performance will favor the 480.

That being said I also don't see how Nvidia is getting "rekt". AMD is beating them to market on the newer gen in the segment, but the 1060 is fine vs the 480, and while the RX460 beats the 960 in Doom, the 960 is much faster in Witcher/Division/GTA/etc. I'm also pretty sure reference 460's are $100 -- the AIB boards will be closer to $140, as Hilbert states in the article. You can buy a 960 now for $175 and I'm sure the price will drop when these hit the market.

Anyway, AMD is doing well in the segment which will hopefully gain them marketshare. Hopefully they can get these out in quantity before Nvidia launches their equivalent.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/radeon-rx-460-test/4/#diagramm-counter-strike-go-1920-1080

This bench has some competitive games that Hilbert doesn't test.

While I agree with you that the game list should probably be altered for cards this low -- Hilbert's one dude and does a ton of benchmarks across every single vendor for almost every card. It would obviously take more time to adjust for each segment and you'd lose the comparisons to other segments, unless you expanded it all the way to the top. I think for the most part you can look at the games he's tested here and make reasonable assumptions on how the card would perform in other games.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yea. It might be superfluous for high-end cards to include benchmarks for certain games, like CS:GO, LoL, DOTA2 and a bunch of other popular games like them on highend cards, but I do feel they would make a lot of sense to include in reviews of cards in this end of the spectrum.

9. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Agreed with the posts above. Useless tests. Every game in that list is pretty much useless above 1080p. The list had to have CSGO, Dota2, LoL, WoW, SC2, overwatch, hots. After all the card's aim is competitive gaming.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No not really, in the end if you want to stick at older games or simple titles that is your choice of course, but technology should be advancing in bigger paces. RX 470 did it, RX 480 did it as well. This is a 169 EURO card that has problems playing proper PC game titles at even 1080P.

Including DOTA and COD just for the sake that it can render games properly with such titles imho doesn't reflect what the card should be doing with modern age titles. Also, DOTA/COD might not be in the benchmarks, but certainly a handful of older games are in there like Thief, Battlefield and Alien Isolation are in the benchmark suite for the reason of comparison.

But if you only want to play old titles at a lower resolution or even lower image quality settings for 169 EURO, be my guest. It's not a bad card whatsoever, but it could have been a notch better with such prices.

Sorry my articles are a waste of your time though.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good review, though the card itself seems somewhat underpowered. Better saving up a bit more and getting a 470...

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In every single one of those games it basically matches what you see in all the DX11 games here, it's roughly the same as a 950. The only interesting tests are Doom and Hitman because it shows that the card will be significantly faster in upcoming Vulkan/DX12 titles.

I mean the trade-off is time. He could show those games, but it would just take longer to review all the games here + those. And then people would complain that he didn't show comparisons to more expensive cards or previous generation cards, etc.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Personally I love that these games are not included.
    How many of them will be running a 5960x @ 4.4ghz with a RX 460 anyways.

Hilbert would have to build a cheaper bench rig for a more real world scenario for that. Almost everyone of those games listed are more cpu intensive then gpu intensive.

Even this RX 460 would be an upgrade for my step sons rig. He is 11.
    He is on 1055t @ 3.5ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, HD 7850 1GB @ 1200/1425 and 1440x900 res. EVGA 600w.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Isn't the 370 a rebranded 7850? If so it's tying the RX460 in most of these benchmarks.

15. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    Does battlefield hardline perform similar to BF4?
    Something is wrong with your results and conclusion;
    My 260x gets a stable 30 fps at ultra, 4xmsaa 1080p
    Here you're showing only 25 which I guess is fair but
    Is a terrible conclusion seeing as it performs more on par with my 260x
    Anyways, I hate this review overall, why review such a low end card with max settings, you know you should be running either no msaa or running high [testing at these settings makes the card look like trash, graphics scale well and it's rare to tell the difference between ultra and high]
    kys

16. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    yea, everyone is reviewing these cards poorly. need an esport machine and esport games please.

would also like legacy game test, like crysis and half life 2, etc. this card is cheaper then a family night out, so needs to tested differently.

17. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Hardline is more demanding than BF4.

It makes sense to perform the tests at max. Who in reality runs 8x antialiasing on any card in modern titles? Unless you're one of the few people with a 1080 using 1080p monitors. Turn off intensive AA and you can gain upwards of 100% performance. So you could say that in every case the high settings are a detriment, but any comparison becomes void the moment you start changing up the settings.

This is annoying on other sites where if you try to compare, even if the base system is comparable, then they'll run different settings and for no apparent reason other than that's what they arbitrarily do.

The consistensy is what's great about this site. Everything gets the same treatment so you can see what you can achieve at max settings. Sure, it'd be nice to know if this card can run Witcher 3 at 1080p if I turn down to medium, but I can probably work it out that that's possible from years of experience with videogames and hardware. Is that possible for someone who doesn't have that experience? No, but then, a lot of things aren't possible or easy for someone who isn't an expert on a subject.

18. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Pretty sure Hilbert has a model he sticks too, and that is to run the same tests on all the cards across the board. If he didnt do 1440p guarantee you someone would make a big fuss about it. Also some users may want to see how it does in 1440p if they decided they want run low quality but higher resolution or etc.... Guess you needed something to complain about other than the card being reviewed?

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yes, let's lower all image quality settings and use older games to show that FPS goes up, that makes sense and is fair just because you are used to it ? No sorry guys, all cards are tested equally and fair. You can easily compare and draw conclusions from the review, you might not like what you see, I agree that is different - but again .. this is a 169 EURO product and it is the year 2016.

Oh and yes, Hardline is more stringent on the GPU. Especially in the Gator Bait scenes where we test.

20. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    "The card is tweaked for you already, I'd suggest to leave it at that." i could feel the frustration in Hilberts words :3eyes:.
    i get it it is a new budget card, i really do, but to do 600 marks less in time spy against a GTX960 (2GB) am 18 months older BUDGET card dose say it all:nerd:
    Still, thanks for the time and the review Hilbert :)