Naga Bhut Jolokia [aka: Ghost Chilli]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not this year unfortunately, too many things were going on for the first few months to get things set up and it's too late to start now

We had a full new roof on the house and the roofers destroyed my greenhouse and just about everything else they could kill

I`ll start again after last frost next year - not sure if I should put them outside this time or not, they were eaten by green and whitefly, caterpillars and many other things last year once I put them outside

2. JohnnyCage

JohnnyCage Guest

GPU:
    r290x
    My Limit is a lot of tabasco on pizza:)

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Sorry to hear that.

I would definitely put them outdoors, and get some praying mantis and ladybugs for pest control.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes next year.

Anyway, I actually am having a great year; probably will end up harvesting several thousand pods of Bhut Jolokia, 7-Pot, Habanero, and Scorpion peppers from forty-odd plants.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  4. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    @Extraordinary,

Are you doing the hot pepper thing this year?

I have 70 or so plants going, mostly super hots.

5. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was something related to ghosts...

As an Indian it hardly matters to me how many chillies I eatup...

My meal is not complete without having atleast 8-10 green/red hot spicy chillies...

As far as a good recipe is concerned, I will share with everyone something good...

Red chilli Ghost...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYo3wMGUMQ

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  6. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    It can be enjoyed with rice...

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8-10?! Oh god, I used to refuse chillies from vada pav vendors! :p

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Chillies are a good source of vitamin C so u might wanna reconsider not eating a chilli...a green one though...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sorry, didn't know this thread was still going :)

I sort of gave up on the Jolokias, almost, I have some Moruga Scorpions growing, but they are in a sorry state, doubt I`ll get anything from them, but I have Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets growing, and those plants are doing well

Scotch Bonnets are the first and only so far to give fruit

1-8-16
    [​IMG]

4-8-16
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  10. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Bonnets looking good!

Are you growing in containers, or in the ground?

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    ghost chilli's to me are not hot at all. Ive eaten them raw many times and have even grown my own too.

I have tried the trinidad scorpion now that has a good kick to it but the carolina reaper is literally next level. I recommend making it into an oil and only adding a few drops to your food as it really does kick and once it does it lasts quite a while.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Cheers, just in pots, don't have a garden, so started them off in the house and bought one of those DIY plastic greenhouses, moved them in there

Left a habanero white growing under a couple of florescent tubes on a heat tray with a small fan on it, see if it does any better/worse than the one in the greenhouse, hundreds of small flowers but no fruit on either Habanero plant yet, been manually pollinating them too

For a while I was getting what I discovered is called blossom drop on loads of the flowers, the stem and entire flower would just fall off, read something about calcium deficiency so ground up a load of egg shells and watered that in, seems to have solved it

[​IMG]

EDIT - Better pic

Had to put the clothes horse in front of it, from the street outside it looks 100% like I'm growing pot and already had a few people stop and have a look lol

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exciting stuff, greenhouse Habaneros are first to fruit

[​IMG]

14. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    You should give the Chocolate Bhutlah a try.

15. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Plants look quite healthy, good job.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, quick update on Scotch and Habanero (Just tried a Habanero and already at that small size they are super hot)

Scotch bonnet still getting bigger from the looks of the last photo

[​IMG]

These Habanero are going to be bad-boys I think

[​IMG]

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Almost killed the lot the other week, was really hot for about 3 days and I forgot to open the greenhouse or water them (They're usually good for a few days between watering and it's not usually very hot here)

Anyway I opened the greenhouse to find all the plants apart from the habanero completely wilted to the point they looked dead, only the fruit was still hanging normally, all the leaves had curled and drooped and a load of them had gone brown and fallen off

Soil was so dry there were big gaps around the edge of the pots, must have been 50+c in there at points I think with it being sealed

Watered them all thoroughly a few times over the next couple hours and hoped for the best, and amazingly about 4-5 hours later they all had started lifting back up and coming back to life

I think they must do what human bodies do, and shut off the extremities blood/water supply to save the core/fruit

I've heard the hotter and drier you grow peppers, the hotter the fruit is, so these will probably be hot lol

18. InfinityX

InfinityX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    Indeed they do, so be very careful. I did much the same a few years ago, but no greenhouse, just a scorching hot conservatory. Resulting scotch bonnets where absolutely lethal. I used two to make a chili-chicken tart (without testing them!:stewpid:). They were painfully hot to eat, but I wasnt going to waste the tart so scoffed the lot. As you can imagine I regretted my gluttony and within 5mins I had to rush to the bathroom and spent the next 3 hours on the toilet, sharting spicy water and peanuts down the chute, whilst also bent over heaving my guts up in the bath. My body had quite a bad reaction. My bowels, sphincter and related extremities where ripped to shreds.

Be careful...

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D lol, well I tried one of those baby habanero whites yesterday and they are already blisteringly hot even at that size

Just tried one of the smaller green scotchies and it was still like a bell pepper, guess you have to wait for those to turn orange/red before they get their heat

Quick shot of the greenhouse, just moved the front habanero from the house to the greenhouse as it is the only one not giving fruit yet, see if it helps it, it's a much darker green than the one that's been outside for a while too

That little one front left is the only Scorpion pepper that has shown any signs of possibly giving fruit, just started flowering, none of the scorpions grew very well, think it's just too cold for them as when I overheated the greenhouse, they all shot up in size

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  20. InfinityX

InfinityX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    UK right? Once you have the fruit to the right size you should stick some ripe bananas right inbetween the plants. Helps really ripen the fruit very quickly.