Download MSI AfterBurner 4.3.0 Beta 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2016.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If you upgraded from 10586.x to 14393.x (Win10 anniversary / RS1) the way this works is that the process essentially is a full reinstall of the entire OS although it does keep settings and drivers but still reinstalls them so the current AMD and Nvidia GPU settings (The ones stored in the Windows registry at least.) are reset just as if you did a display driver update.

For Afterburner well I haven't had any problems here but it's a older GPU and version 4.2.0 whereas this is a early public beta version for supporting the 1080 GPU and probably by now also the 1070 and 1060 although I do not know if the 1060 is supported in this build as it was released fairly recently, same with the Titan X(2) albeit they're all "Pascal" GPU's but that probably doesn't matter much as I'd imagine it still needs specific software support in Afterburner as well.
    (Well from what I've read at least the NVAPI driver stuff is easier than AMD's ADL or what it was called.)

Anyway reinstalling (uninstalling and then installing it again.) Afterburner or just deleting the config files manually should work to reset any settings to minimize any potential issues with a older / existing configuration. :)

EDIT: Can't say anything about EVGA's spinoff of Afterburner with their Precision X software alternative as it's Nvidia only and only on supported GPU models at that, can't say much about 4.3.0 either of Afterburner as it's meant for initial support for the 1080 (And 1070?) GPU models and not general use.
    (I think a updated release was a few weeks off while support for the AMD 480 GPU is implemented and the updated Riva Tuner Statistic Software tool is in closed testing now for D3D12 compatibility, no idea when the full release of 4.3.0 will be but I guess it's still going to be a month or two if there's even a set time frame at all.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Hello,

I got my very first SSD last week and did a clean install of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise Edition. Twice. I just started thinking, that perhaps that can be related? Instead of a startup of over 3 minutes I am now booting up under 20 seconds. MSi Afterburner loads directly after the nVidia driver (Which is loaded first) when I have it installed; unlike EVGA's Precision which seems to take it's time. I have the issue with Afterburner, but not Precision. Perhaps that was what caused the TDR in the first place? I don't know. It's just my observations. :)

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah the startup issue, yeah there's been some threads about that in the past for Afterburner from both AMD and Nvidia GPU owners so there's a property in Afterburners main config file for delaying start so it only starts after X amount of time thus giving the display driver (And possibly the OS too.) time to fully initialize first so that could indeed help. :)
    (IE for compatibility with giving the GPU it's proper clock and voltage settings which can be unstable if this is done out of order.)

I'll see if I can't find it's name again.
    (Think the value you input was either for seconds or milliseconds.)

EDIT: MSIAfterburner.cfg where you've installed MSI Afterburner too and then this setting:

StartupDelay = 0

And it's in milliseconds. :)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319977

4. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Thank you for the advice! :D

I have made the modification to the said file and will definitely re-try using MSi Afterburner. I really got freaked out the other day, checkered black screen and then the BsoD... I still don't know if it could damage my hardware. It was like Aferburner and nVidia's driver was in the battle ring fighting things out, just the ring kept collapsing in the end. lol

But I think this is it; from a logical stand point, it just has to be. I will report back.

5. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Well, what do you know, that fixed the issue JonasBeckman. I changed my Startup delay to 10,000 (10 seconds) The issue is now history. <3

I think EVGA was wise to put in this delay by default to give the drivers a chance. I am just glad there was a config file to change this for MSi Afterburner, because I really do prefer using it.

The only issue that now remains is this:

I usually setup 2x profiles and save them, one with the defaults and one with my Overclock so I can change between them if I must. It was a good thing I did or I would have had to fix the OC's BsoD in Safe Mode. In any case; If I swap from my default profile to my OC profile, the Power Limit % becomes un-linked from the Thermal limit and vice versa. For example:

OC Profile
    Power Limit = 126%
    Thermal Limit - 92C

When I swap to my default profile it will look like this:

Default Profile:
    Power Limit = 126% (<--- This obviously not being the default)
    Thermal Limit - 83C

nVidia's Control Panel also reverts some settings to default after a restart after the new Windows 10 update. Which is what the Reddit thread is about. Though, that just happens to my "V-sync" option.

I was merely curious earlier if this could also be why MSi afterburner did the same?

6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    @legacy-za

just a question on the side.
    do you use afterburner to force a custom fan profile?
    if now, why not just remove it from autostartup once you have set it up with the correct clocks and powerlimit.
    or are you the kind of person who changes the OC every day?

7. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Not at the moment, it's still very cold over here, the card never reaches above 69 Degrees Celcius. It's just so I can see what is happening if I need to and tweak here and there while I have the OSD open in a game. :)

*Edit*

The screen just freaked out on startup and I got the TDR again... and I just tried EVGA's Precision again, no issue. I'll try and increase the delay by another 10 seconds in afterburner but I am really worrying about my cards health at this point. *sigh* :frown:

8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    hardware wont be affected... trust me.
    but totally independent from AB i had many TDRs when i still tested win10 with my cards. (basically the driver restarts itself very often)
    so i didnt login to my 10 partition for weeks now (to get the newest upgrades), but it seems this is an issue which still persists...
    and it is not vendor specific.
    do you use 10 for a certain reason?

9. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Just for DX12 games. Though at the moment, there isn't much benefit to be had. Maybe one day. :)

It's fine though, I'll just use EVGA's Precision for now. I am just to tired to trouble shoot and I don't think I will format my PC just for this, I would rather run default clocks. :)

10. JimmyJump

JimmyJump Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB
    Okay, so I swapped my old 7970 for an RX470 8GB but for some reason the options in MSI-AfterBurner (v4.2.0.7826) are seriously trimmed-down: can't monitor GPU temps nor can I set a fan profile...

Should I have missed a topic about this, do carry me out of town on a rail covered in tar and feathers...

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Do you see at least a single word about RX 4x0 series card support in this 4.3.0 beta release notes? i don't. There is no public version with RX 4x0 support yet.

12. JimmyJump

JimmyJump Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB
    Well, at least now I know amigo...

13. Bojcha

Bojcha Active Member

GPU:
    many
    Any ETA?

14. Unwinder

Don't be lazy, there is search feature in the forum.

15. Bojcha

Bojcha Active Member

GPU:
    many
    Search gives nothing...
    Can you just say?

If you mean on..
    "this build is not yet out for the public and might take weeks before it is released."
    ..then how much long?

16. Unwinder

Ugh. I provided direct link to the answer in my previous post.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just installed this version to go with my new video card, I was wondering if it has an expiry date?

18. Unwinder

Each version compilation time and expiry date (if set) is displayed in product info window ("i" window).