Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Keitosha, May 11, 2016.

1. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
  2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Niceread there ^^^ I read a similar article from PCGamer earlier today, but this one seemed more extensive. I'm not personally enamored of the change in art style, but I don't dislike it (it just looks very dated to me). It won't stop me from playing it and hopefully people will realize that it doesn't matter much for this kind of game.

The actual gameplay changes and mechanics sound like an improved version of Civ 5, which I have happily dumped allot of hours into, so I think this will be a Hoilday season purchase for me. :)

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The graphics are looking a bit dated but it's Civilization so I'm buying regardless.

just
    one
    more
    turn
    (since '91 :nerd:)

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    There goes another 1000++ hours of my life... :p
    Only thing i do not like of the few in game shots i have seen is the camera angle, but i hope and think you can zoom further out.

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-looks-and-classic-gameplay-60-turns-of-civilization-6/

Hope there is a option for me to say to the ai, if you build ANY og "MY" momuments, i will go to war :p

Now i'm restarting any time they build great library, hanging gardens or pyramids before me..

Last edited: May 26, 2016

5. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    "One more turn!", almost sounds like some Daft Punk song. :banana:

I cannot wait for this. This will consume countless hours as usual.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
  7. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I don't get why people are bitching about the graphics. I recently bought Europa Universalis IV. Very daunting game and even with SweetFX to fix the aliasing issues it looks crap. Now that I'm over the steep learning curve it's the best strategy game I've ever played.

Gameplay > Graphics in this genre.

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yep 100% agreed.:nerd:

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Heh I don't even bother forcing any effects over it because it doesn't pay off imho :p

10. jackerby

jackerby Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 ACX
    After the let-down that was BE (IMO), I'm pretty giddy with excitement, graphics improvements or not! Would really love to see significant improvements to diplomacy in civ 5 though, I'm not much of a domination victory kind of guy so it always frustrated me how easily other leaders' hatred of your civ was. I remember liberating a city once but Elizabeth still hated my guts!
    It would be great to actually forge a decent alliance and trade with other civs, and for interactions to have a bigger impact.

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Back in the good old early Civ V days I had Montezuma asking me to go to war against himself (I guess he hated himself that much :) ). I agreed and got a CTD. That was too good to be true lol.

BE(RT)'s diplomacy is just a copy-paste job from V.

12. jackerby

jackerby Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 ACX
    Hah, at least he can recognise that he's a global menace! Him and Shaka were always thorns in my side.
    I wonder if Gandhi will stll be hell-bent on nuclear destruction in civ 6...

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
  14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Good one. Winter is coming.

Ian hoping more Deep and challenging gameplay.

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    That is pretty cool. Who doesn't like Sean Bean? I will miss the old guy from Civ 5. When I would play with my friends and he would say something we would see who could sound more like an old man over the steam chat. :)

So far it looks like this will be the case, with much deeper civic choices instead of policy trees, city-states being more unique and worth having as allies for more than World Congress votes, and of course the cities no longer being one tile. My dislike of change makes me want to hate these things, but I think they will make Civ 6 better than Civ 5 overall. Even a fully patched and DLC'd version of Civ 5 versus Civ 6 at release is looking promising.

But for me to buy Civ 6 in 2016 and before a 50% sale, they HAVE to make diplomacy meaningful and usable in real play, not just demos and videos. Civ 5 sure improved a ton after release with all the patches and expansions, but diplomacy has always been a joke in that game with nearly every game I've ever been in (1000+ hours) spiraling into war at the slightest inconvenience to any player. Here's to hoping they can pull it off since they claim to have scrapped the Civ 5 engine entirely for a new one!

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    So anyone playing this game? Does it live up to your expectations? Unfortunately I can't play until the end of the month due to a holiday through Italy lol.

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    No ones playing it cos its not yet released..

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I thought the release date was the 12th, now I see the 21st. Not that long.

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah - looking very forward to the game (and its changes).

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Late game diplomacy is gonna need a some serious work since the game now has the potential for a more realistic MAD once nuclear weapons come in to play.

The old style half arsed Diplomacy could easily be over come by just building SDI laser defences in every city to combat any rouge or stupid opponent who didn't see what a threat having you throw nuclear weapons at him in turn could be.

Seems in Civ 6 Nuclear weapons are a real threat, no SDI laser defence, much bigger area of effect meaning that they can hit several key areas in one go (with the new game having spread out cities) all means that a nuclear war could be a real late game threat instead of just a mild nuisance.