How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2016.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Just go here and click the big blue button. I checked a few times yesterday and Windows Update never had anything, so I just went and forced it this way.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

So far most everything has been fine after the update. Not much faster, but not any slower really. Don't like the newish start menu, as I liked having my programs hidden behind the main folders. All I ask is for a toggle to go between the modes, MS!

LOL, will report back with any issues I run into. Good luck!

2. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    OK.

Those who says: you should not blame Windows because you use Android and it's worst are excusing the behavior of that company because others are doing as such !

Example: We should not criticize Pepsi because Coke is as sugary.

<<I don't give a crap about privacy in my PC, ENTIRELY because I don't give a crap about privacy in my cell phone and WebCam embedded smart Tv>> is non sense. To forgive a bad practice because of other's bad practices...

Some people don't appreciate being under surveillance, on their computer, their tablets/phone nor through their entire belongings and they are not caveman.
    Some person desire to preserve the integrity of their actions and to require real intellectual and physical privacy is not a caveman's privilege.

<<Quit being a caveman and play on DX12 like a "real" man>>

^ Please, replace the 'P' that you HAD in "PC" and replace by 'C'.
    ^ CC : Corporation's Computer

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The problem you have is that you treat a company's property (Microsoft's Windows), as some kind of public good. If you want to preserve your privacy there are ways to do that. I'm using Linux since 2004 and this is one of the reasons. Use open source software. Thanks to Vulkan we might even see a viable open source gaming platform. Support it. No company has any obligation to you or anyone else. And yes, some features DO require processing and connectivity, there is no other way, even if the companies making them were privacy minded.

4. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    My laptop updated, but my Dell Venue 8 Pro doesn't show the update available. I even tried the manual update, but I get a 0x80070070 error. I did read somewhere that the anniversary update has hardware and storage requirements. 16gb minimum I believe.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

5. Qwinn

Qwinn Guest

So I updated tonight. A few helpful tips for folks who will try it soon:

1) When I tried it with the update tool, a few bad things happened. Got a "Something went wrong" error that other people have been getting. Was able to get past that by disconnecting from the internet immediately after it verified the download. But then it made me enter all my settings again, and when I finally got in, Cortana had been fully turned on with no easy way to turn it off like I had previously. Also some screwy icons, and then upon reboot I started getting the infinite spinning dots of death. So I had no choice but to abort that attempt and restore from backup.

2) Tried again with the media tool creator and an ISO. This went much better. No errors, no screwy icons, and Cortana is still tamed (searches local/Windows apps only). I *did* have major issues with Bitdefender. Couldn't even turn antivirus back on until I did a repair, and even then it started going flaky including delaying my login screen by about 50 seconds. Wound up having to uninstall it (twice, had to download an uninstall tool to get enough of it out to be able to turn Windows Defender back on). Not a big deal, I'm no pirate, don't download much besides tools/apps from trusted sources and I figure Windows Defender has become good enough for anything I'm bound to run into.

3) Then I started checking the event log. Did get a new Error 10016 DCom error (which involves a system program not having enough permissions). I had a different 10016 back in the first days of Windows 10, I think that one was the Runtime Broker. This one is "CDP Store" or something. Applying the same fix worked there. If someone needs that information, let me know and I'll dig up the link, but I pretty much know it by heart by now and that's how I did it just now.

4) If you were getting the 8 obnoxious false opencl.dll errors when running SFC /scannow like I was just for having installed a video driver other than Microsoft's.... this has finally been fixed!

5) Also, the 4 "user_data", "contact", etc. warnings that would show up in the event log after every single shutdown are finally gone!

6) I did get a new "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000." in the event log. I've known about this one for a while. If you don't have Visual Studio installed, set the Windows Driver Foundation service to Automatic instead of Manual (Trigger). If you do have Visual Studio installed, go to Device Manager and disable Sensors/Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor.

7) If you had Fast Startup (shutdown becomes hibernate) turned off, the update will turn it back on.

That's all I've found so far, otherwise it's looking pretty good. Just getting rid of the annoying sfc /scannow and shutdown warnings is worth the trouble to update to me.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  6. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    For me it broke Civil 3D 2013 and flexnet service. Be aware !

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Installed it last night.

It did reset my SoundBlaster Z settings as well as installed all the Apps again, but i sorted that out again.

Also it kept nagging me about a Microsoft Account so i was forced to disable Action Center and Notifications in Group Policy.

The Start Menu changed a little, but in a good way. You no longer have to click All Apps to get there.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Tried searching for updates via settings, update appeared but its a no go. Didn't install, although no errors at all where shown. PC restarted and acted like it all installed, but no change... anyone have this issue?

9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well I'm not going to let you get away with attacking me and saying I don't know how modern computers work. It is more likely you didn't understand what I was trying to say. So what did I say that gave you this impression? Please explain yourself.

And I have an iPhone 5. And it's not the same - because I don't keep anything on my phone or use iCloud precisely because I don't trust Apple to access it and give it to the United States world police... difference is all my own personal and private stuff is on my home PC.

Backdoor is not the same as what this Windows 10 is doing - actively and automatically sending stuff out continuously - backdoors are only used on specific targets of high interest to government agencies - not everybody which is what this "system" is mass collecting, mass surveilance, data mining.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    It may be paranoid but still no reason to just say oh they are all collecting my information all the time, so just give up and let them at it.

As others have said, you shouldn't be forced to live in a cave to escape the clutches of these evil, evil creatures who are hell bent on controlling the masses for their own power and control.

And I realise this is probably the wrong forum and I am wasting my time as many here are 20 somethings and have grown up in this digital age as products to be harvested and don't know any better. When people get a bit older and see what's going on in the world and the big picture they may change their attitude. A lot of responses here remind me of the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers where the entire population was turned into alien drones who point and scream when they spot someone "not like them". Don't be an ignorant drone of the US based military/corporate/government overlords.

[​IMG][/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hm no nagging here.. i use local since forever.. only "live ms" for store, xbox and mail

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think Microsoft have already actually stopped this, as of yesterday.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They've stopped the AT already? I read they were going to stop it in a couple/three weeks, hopefully something still works, I just got asked to upgrade a 68 year olds PC from 7 to 10 yesterday, gonna give it a shot later on

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yeah, I read it somewhere last night... haven't tested myself, guess you will find out when you try.

16. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Couldn't get it to work. Acted like it was installing/installed, then nothing.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Geogan,

You have missed the boat again. There is no such thing as privacy in todays modern world. It makes no sense to complain about something that exits because it was ported over from a phone's OS...same experience across all platforms. It makes zero sense to complain about Microsoft collecting data on how one uses their pc when Google collects more without one's knowledge, without any of their software installed on a pc. Google collects the information from any device that is connected to the internet. One does not even need to use their search engine for the data mining to occur. The complaints are focused on the wrong advisory. Thinking that by stopping Microsoft and having them remove this "spyware" from Windows is going to magically cure the privacy issue...think again.

Yes, if things are to change the message needs to start somewhere. But this is neither the right place nor the right platform to be complaining about privacy violations. Do not even think you are actually aware of what you are actually complaining about. Complaining about a symptom will only cure the symptom. Go complain and raise the argument "Just because you can, should you?" Go stomp out greed and this intrusion will actually stop.

These intrusive actions are not based on control or subjugation. It's all about cash flow. Creating a recurring revenue stream. It is how business is conducted in the digital age. Marketing information is the hot new commodity.

18. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acc...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-d86gErcPyrLgitM76YYxAA)()

That page still allows the download of the upgrade executable. That's not the same as a confirmation that the upgrade process worked, but it looks like the promotion still exists. I don't see Microsoft as leaving the page up, and allowing a download of an executable, if they canceled this. And they still seem to not be looking for anything more than just clicking the link.

"Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my free upgrade to Windows 10."

They don't even ask if you need it, just if you use it. So anyone who's just used that technology,and will use it again, can honestly say "yes". I think that might not be an accident on Microsoft's part. This way a site can point to the link without perpetuating a scam. Even Magnifier is an assistive tool. I've used it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/use-magnifier-to-see-items/

I got my Windows 10 upgrade a while ago. But if Microsoft wants to keep giving them out, albeit coyly, I'll pass along the link. :) If it was truly just an obscure glitch that exploited something charitable, I doubt the link would be getting publicized.

I think this situation might be like the one on Seinfeld, where Jerry tells his dad the calculator "fell off a truck" because it makes it more of an exciting gift.

"Microsoft extends upgrade period", meh. "Neat way to still get Windows 10!", yeah, that's for me! lol :)

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Worked fine, installed from DVD (Was an old machine with no USB boot), told it I had no key for the install, hit the desktop and put a Win 7 Pro key in for activation, activated fine with digital entitlement

MS haven't shut it off yet

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Nice~