Review: MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    AMD was the one marketing it as high end card, therefore people compared it to other high end cards.

Just like they said bulldozer would destroy intel.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Btw Hilbert the oc result for Tomb Raider is the same as the reference model. And you have different fps in the Tomb Raider test itself. 44 to 48 fps in oc. While in the test it shows 45 for stock 8gb and 47 for the gaming X.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Nice card. ANy idea when the enthusiast AMD card come out of the wood?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was meant to be an upgrade from gtx6xx and 7xx users as well as older hd 7000 series from AMD. No one should replace 970 with 480 or 1060.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    But but....
    :nerd:

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    From one extreme to the other with settings not many would use. No AA or 8xTSSAA :puke2:

Feel sorry for you HH, the AMD loyalists are turning their sites on you now.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You know even w/o the TSSAA, it shows how AMD responds to Vulkan as in huge boost. You should really stop complaining about every small detail or setting. They are good settings to test the games on there is no huge minus to amd on HBAO+ saw that when gaming myself. And he actually used 16.7.3 according to the test setup.

If you think it is deceiving that AMD wins hard in Doom even with smaa which a lot of people actually prefer, then ok...

8. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    A review on Hexus of the 480 Nitro showed almost 25% gains over the reference carding in Tomb Raider using the latest drivers.

Were the Tomb Raider benchmark definitely completed with AMD Radeon Software Crimson Driver 16.7.3? The
    results here only seems to show 1fps at all resolutions over the 16.7.2 results of the PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL edition.

9. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    just a shame you do not test the card / chiller up to a water block
    I had done it

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    No AMD fans were saying that until RX480 actually released. I recall clearly some were saying it was aiming for those GTX970 users...yep. Over-hyped by AMD users is accurate.

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Since when all I ever read was Mainstream in any of their media releases with high end to come later in the guise of Vega 10/11

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Anyone remembers that loonie guy in AMD subforum... the guy who has a brother who's developer :)

He was saying that his brother told him... lololol wait, wait... his bro told him that 480 should not even be considered a mere GPU.
    According to his bro 480 would be a product that would brake all charts,
    and it would be so good that it will be impossible to compare it with any other GPU
    He promised to come back with more good news, but he's nowhere to be found now LOL

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Don't forget that awesome overclocking! :nerd:

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Noisiv, do you really have that R9 290 or thats just a bait while behind is some nvidia card? I've never ever seen you post a possitive comment about AMD, just bashing and taking a crap on their products.

Find another hobby.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1600MHz on air i believe :rolleyes:

truth be told not many hardcore gurus joined the crazy train

@Undying

^^ triggered :D

16. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I like to get a RX 480 4GB model but nobody has any in stock and one that out there just bunch of a wipes price gouging the carp of the card even the NVidia 1060 as well and I could care less about OC I much re have lower cooling temps
    I think the RX 480 was aim at taking on the GTX 9 series and I think the Fury 2 is to take on GTX 10 series

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You'd have a heck of a time in steam forums with all the people crapping on AMD...and they're AMD users lol.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Both sides do it. You think nvidia forums or guru3d nvidia section dont have such a threads? Some users are unsatisfied i understand that.

Im sure Noisiv dont even have that 290. It is also not the first time hes been called out like this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm sure he will be able to prove either way.

As for the testing used in reviews? It should just be the maximum you can select at that resolution whether that favours one side or the other.

It doesn't help you have Scottish idiot like AdoredTV on YouTube also pushing this stupid idea of cherry picking settings and games to make specific hardware look better than it is.