Tim Sweeney Outs More Win10 Concerns - MS wants to Break Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    But isn't that what most people want? All I want is games the Internet... And P... er other stuff too...

If I want to do otherstuff like music, Word and so on, then I will have a PC for those things. But then I'm going to end up with an OS I don't want because it's forcing me to have crappy graphics (because they are all console based games these days) and an OS that spies on me (Yes I know about disabling it, but is it truly disabled? Can't see it). And another PC that is focused on PC gaming!

Steam OS instead of MS on PC. Then we might start to see independant companies going through Steam and the birth of PC gaming again. Enough of this M$/$ony money making nonesense! I just wish the big companies would back it so we can see PC become the gaming platform it should be!

2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Nah it wouldn't.

Ever heard of x64 apps?

3. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    5 star thread for someone predicting absolute rubbish!? 3 star thread!

Microsoft clearly stated that they intend on bringing games to Steam...

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    WinRT is built ON Win32. You literally can't remove Win32 from Windows.

Tim Sweenie is starting to sound the way he looks.

[​IMG]

i.e: A conspiracy theory nerd with a bunker.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He didn't say they were removing it from windows.

6. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    It has been years since that information first came out.

And it is the Intel compiler that takes a purposefully slower branch when it detects that a non-Intel CPU is being used.

Not sure if it has changed in the past 10 years, but that is how it used to be.

7. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    The problem of viruses and malware aren't just some convenient excuse. Many of us around here or that frequent other tech sights have at least a power user level skill set and mentality. Our knowledge and habits tend to keep us out of that sort of trouble. We are however the minority. Many of the things they change aren't with us in mind, but the larger demographic of end users.

As a person who's done end user support since '98 across multiple platforms (and currently SysAdmin), a lot of these thing make sense. Walking up to machine with a consistent unrestricted internet connection chocked full of malware and over 200 updates waiting to be installed makes little sense. Since the introduction of UAC most malware started being built strictly for userspace, as opposed to looking for system wide access. UAC had to become thing because changing the typical behavior of the user would be too large a feat. Us more advanced users might look at it as an unneeded annoyance/speed bump (and subsequently disable it). Most legitimate software under the current framework wants/needs you to be admin to install it, some to even run properly. The mindset of always being admin is then shared between developers and users alike. Its been that way forever, and people hate change.

Basically every other platform out there runs some sort of central digital software distribution framework, and this is the generation basically being programmed to expect it in some capacity. App/iTunes/Play stores. Physical disks for console gaming is basically optional, as it is on PC. Various Linux distributions and their own package management solutions. It makes a lot of sense for MS to not only provide something similar but also make it fundamentally more secure than the old way. Promoting it toward being the default behavior will help to drive out old habits.

8. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    So after all the other unfair competition and whatnot, ms would try something like deliberately breaking other software?? Make PC Windows a closed platform??? If ms wants to guarantee their demise, I say go for it, ms. Gaming consoles, phones, and tablets can be closed platforms, but do that to PCs and it's the end of desktop Windows for sure.

(Of course, even if there was a hint of truth to this, Valve would certainly be able to work around any problems, let alone the wonderful hacking--err, I mean, programming community.)

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Slow news day? Probably the largest piece of bull**** I have ever seen on the main page.

10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, it's as likely to happen as MS actually making competitive MS store, that people would like to use.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I feel like people are reading this and viewing it as actual news, rather then some random guy with a tinfoil hat saying the world is ending

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Everyone seems to miss the part where, having another OS, isn't as simple as just writing a GUI. I also has to work with a vast array of hardware.

14. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    That's why I think Nvidia, Intel, AMD, Steam, GOG and anything else PC (what about gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, PNY and so on all just club together) should put the money up to develop a new GUI. Why not? They have the cash. The problem is if they don't M$ will control everything. And this is bad for future gaming on PC....

15. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    So M$ never muscled out another potential PC OS? Never bought other companies out? LOL! M$ already controlls the games out there with $ony!
    Why do you think PC components are getting better and we are getting more and more dated games? Other than to keep the console nerds sweet?

VR, 1080 (my baby), SLI/Crossfire never really took off the way they promised. Potential for two CPU's the list goes on and we still don't have a huge number ogames that support this! It's becoming a strange world out there these days. Money first, quality last!

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Ha! Tim Sweeney isn't the only one to voice his opinion about Windows 10 as of late, anytime something like this comes along the guy over at Tweakguides usually writes a column about how he hates it too. Kinda crazy as that site used to be good, now it's only good for the occasional download of new software updates, as he usually provides direct links to the updates. These same people are going to eventually have to either move to Linux and not have an easy time gaming, or 2. accept Windows 10 as is, and get over themselves. The hate train is getting rather annoying. You hate Windows 10, we get it. We don't have to hear about it every two seconds.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just bought some shares in aluminium and i should make quite a nice profit from all this. lol

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    PC/multi-platform games are designed for the widest market. A large part of that market segment, does not run on the latest wiz bang hardware. You end up with compromises with games that can run on older less capable hardware. This includes CPU and GPU limitations.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The YouTube video included in that article of Phil Spencer giving a demonstration on the UWP functionality does a pretty job itself of putting Tim's claims to the ground.

20. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    If you go back to the 90s and look at how many developers there where and how innovative the games we now call classics are. It was wide open. Today is just two companies that basically have the final say. Now they want PC go the same way. But still no vast library of PC exclusive games. And all the while a bunch of multi plat games which don't take any of the new tech for PC in consideration. If the tech is there why bother with it? Since not one game out there can fully utilise PC.

To use the word compromise is not really something you can say for star citizen. They have done what the elite money making machines have failed to do and make a huge universe that is only available for PC. It's cost a third of GTA V and blows it away. Why can't EA or rock star or ubisoft do this. OK it's not out yet, so will have to wait see how it plays, but it brings up serious questions how crowd funding is the only way to game on PC. So you have to come to the conclusion that it's you know who. If people buy PC instead of console for its exclusives that cuts their profits. They can't have that. You buy we tell you what to do is their moto...

How many times has any one seem a PC demo and the console kids crying its not possible? Using crysis and the witcher as an example that PC is on the same level of consoles because of the bad ports and low fps games that are basically the same as console.