Tim Sweeney Outs More Win10 Concerns - MS wants to Break Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I don't know about the whole breaking win32 stuff -- Microsoft has done similar before but breaking win32 would put their entire business market at risk.

That being said, I do think they will favor UWP going forward. Most of the new features will be centered around UWP apps and they are going to do everything they can to retain control over UWP. IIRC you're going to be able to get UWP apps through the steam store though -- so I'm not sure it would end up mattering anyway.

Regardless Epic's new UE build can publish to UWP now, came out like yesterday. So I'm sure Tim Sweeney is having a bit of a mental crisis right now. He's contributed so much to gaming though -- if he wants to go off every once in a while I think people should just tolerate it. Unreal Engine pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

That's just one example. That's why I kind of find it funny that people make it sound like it's so far fetched. At the time Netscape Navigator had a huge marketshare, like 80%. Then Microsoft used it's monopoly in other products, like office, to break the view on netscape. They did the same thing with Active X controls. Which basically forced people to use IE for compatibility. It's pretty much identical to what tim is saying here -- although breaking Win32 is a little more of a risk then breaking office the way they did.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Pretty sure that if this actually was a thing or got in any way bad, that Valve could take MS to court, and probably win. Problem solved. Wouldn't put it past MS though, big business bottom line and all that. What if people worked together instead of trying to f*ck each other over, sounds good to me.

3. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Well its gamers fault aswell for jumping in win 8, later on win 8.1, and now on win 10 as soon as possible.

Its like, their current os is so bad they must get that windows 8. And now they must leave windows 8 because its suck soooo bad, they must get that windows 10.

Personally, i have 0 idea whats better in windows 10. I mean, directx12. Thats it. And there is a handful of negative things.. So, should I "abandon ship" and jump in best thing ever which is win 10? :D lol..

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    LOL this is BS. And no I don't mean them making steam "run worse". Which is ludicrous of course...I mean the entire article is BS.

People will believe anything thesedays

6. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    I'm not sure how Microsoft could "phase out Win32 apps" Since that is still 90% of the software running across their OS's. I'm gonna have to say this article is false lol.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it's pretty clear that they are pushing UWP as the main app model going forward. Pretty much every new feature in Win10, their dev environments, etc, is all aimed at UWP. They are unifying UWP to work across phones, desktops, xbox, TV's and Hololense. Obviously I don't think Win32 is going to vanish overnight, neither does Sweeney, but it's essentially going to stop being supported by them -- and unless UWP becomes more open, it will cause some issues. I don't think it will be at the level Sweeney is describing, but yeah.

8. Forebode

Forebode Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    Sure, if it happens it would break steam. Wouldn't it break nearly every other type of software developed by third party and previous Microsoft releases? Doesn't appear like it could be done silently without legal problems.

In reality, it seems likely that it could be OPTIONAL.

The motivation being that they want to protect against viruses... Seems misdirected. Most infections I've seen in the past years have been user driven. Users doing things without reading/thinking.
    users that:
    -think they have to download a video play for internet "videoes"
    -type in FREE games into google and go to every link
    -that aren't in the accounting department and get messages with macro laced excel files.
    -that get emails in broken english and think its their bank telling them to install something.
    -that enter a new website and a popup appears from an AV, they don't have, asking if they want to scan the computer.
    -the list goes on.

9. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Who's really the bad guy?

I have steam and I use steam but I don't like steam. I want to purchase, download and own my game, on my machine, that sits on my computer and runs without internet or any other service when ever I want to play that game. I don't care to register with this account or that account or load this bs app or that bs app to connect in order to play my game. Both Steam and MS suck.

10. qqryq

qqryq Active Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGeForceGTX970 OC
    Just another ridiculous master plan from Micro$oft...

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Sweeney has been incredibly nearsighted since he dropped the PC as his primary development platform years ago--he sees *everything* through the prism of consoles--his universe is tiny and cramped. Developers decide what platform(s) to sell their games on--not Microsoft. UWP sucks, frankly, as most people know--nobody with a gaming PC is going to be very interested in running cell-phone graphics on his PC--only some dummy @ Microsoft might think otherwise. Quantum Break was truly an ugly game--really, really nasty looking--a blur fest. UWP is a bad idea and it has no legs. Sweeney is wrong--again.

Microsoft hasn't stopped supporting Win32 and has no plans to do so. And copying Apple is the worst thing Microsoft can ever do--I think the company learned that through the Win8 & Win Phone fiasco. Microsoft can't successfully "copy" Apple any more than Apple can successfully do what Microsoft does. Sweeney--the same guy who fifteen years ago said, "In 20 years the GPU won't exist." He's simply trying to draw some publicity towards himself, now that consoles have been absorbed by the x86 PC platform. The x86 PC has won the gaming platform wars and Sweeney is all sour grapes because of it, apparently. Very unprofessional behavior on his part.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    UWP has nothing to do with the way a game looks.

He said in 20 years GPU's wouldn't exist as they do today -- they'd become more programmable similar to CPUs. And they definitely have. With Compute Shaders, IF, advancements in CUDA/OpenCL -- they definitely became far more than just graphics processing units.

13. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    COULD NOT AGREE MORE. except that I refuse to even use steam. I buy the game and then download the "pirated" version (since it's legal when you own it) so that I can bypass all the B.S.

so sick of third party vaporware being shoved down my throat, everything going to the cloud when hard drives have never been bigger (and growing exponentially), and the mass abandonment of legacy software.

do we make new art museums and refuse to let "legacy" culture exist inside the new model? as an animator and avid retro gamer, this practice makes me sick. you know what's a really old game? checkers. ten thousand years old. we should not stand by while greedy corporations inject their BS or abandon altogether digital art. using the excuse of viruses. wtf is a virus? I haven't seen one of those since college circa 2005. not every legacy software is going to be able to jump through all these new hoops because many of the production companies don't even exist anymore. we can't just throw away our culture...

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    pfff what a bunch of bs...

since the start, Steam (despite being popular) is full of bug without any Microsoft action...

i don't think that Microsoft will spend time doing Steam bug... Steam already do it very fine by itself :) lol

Also Steambox OS run not so good... doing a cause/effect to this anouncement is maybe too easy...

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    We sorta knew this would happen though. Of course MS wants everything to run through their own app/store and the best way for them to do that is to slowly get rid of Win32 programs and make it all run through their Universal Windows Platform BS.

They use the Virus excuse to justify it, the problem is that a lot of people won't use the Windows store and will never use it. We have already seen them back track with some games and once Devs realize most people won't use MS store then they are forced to use Steam or GoG or Whatever site to get their games.

The idea is to rid the world of Malware/Viruses but the more they push for this type of system the more people will be forced to find ways around it and that means Piracy/Torrents will only increase and Viruses will only be spread even more than now defeating the purpose that it set out to fix.

I worry that if Hillary Clinton gets in power she will be terrible for Internet related stuff and all those privacy issues and government spying will go through the roof, not because of pirates or trolls but because we need saving for all those evil terrorists.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, I wouldn't put it past them.

Wasn't it only relatively recently discovered that AMD cpus were being held back by compiler? That might've been intel, but, still...

17. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    Utter disgrace!

This is the time when Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Steam and a few other PC companies should get together to phase out Windows/Microsoft on PC altogether and make their own OS!

I really hope Steam is working on an OS with Linux... If they did I'm so going over to that.

Thing is how do the other companies who manufacture our components feel about this?

But this is the proof, most of us have suspected over the years, that they really don't want PC to push forward and advance technology.
    They just want to make more profit...

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

It's pretty limited.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    rockunpuncture, you don't have to worry and the hardware companies feel nothing as it isn't true, it's the rantings of a madman.

Can't believe you missed the existence of SteamOS though??

20. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    What I ment was an OS that people can have on their machines when buying a new PC. They don't have the option if you go to say, PCworld or Currys and buy a PC with SteamOS on it... You have to have it with Windows! Yes I know about Steam OS on Alienware but it's nothing like a standard PC you can upgrade all day long and such from what I've seen. Unless Alienware have PC's that have the OS and I can put in my 1080...