About to blow my head off

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nemesis44, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Okay, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I am really frustrated right now and I wondered if anyone has some advice for me.

I have an EVGA 780ti graphics card, which I'm very happy with. Unfortunately, I keep having crashes with it under Win 10. I have the latest drivers (I always do), using DDU? to clean the previous versions.

I check the reliability log feature in Win10 and the culprit always seems to be an NVxxx driver. For a while, I had no crashes and games which had issues performed perfectly. Something has changed with either this last driver, or maybe the one before to make it unstable again.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? I'm not a newbie to computers, but I've never had such trouble with a hardware/software configuration.

Many thanks, in advance.

2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    When is the PC crashing? In game only? At desktop as well?

What error shows in your event viewer?

Which nvidia driver are you using?

Have you tried rolling back to your previous video driver?

Is your CPU and/or GPU overclocked? If yes, have you tried setting things back to stock?

How old is your PSU?

3. diddly

diddly Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8
    Please post GPU temperatures at idle & load. Make sure the power connections to the motherboard, CPU and GPU are ok.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Did you just upgrade to Windows 10? Clean install may solve such issues.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    First thing I would do is as suggested above - Clean install of Windows 10, combined with BIOS update to latest version for mobo / GPU, install latest set of drivers, and latest WHQL driver from Nvidia making sure its for windows 10 64bit.

6. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Thanks everyone for your answers so far

@chinobino

The PC crashes only in games. Can be older games such as Bully, but also in Project Cars. Witcher 3 has never crashed.

I will check my event viewer when I get home for the exact error message.

Neither my CPU nor GPU are overclocked, both are stock clocks.

Nvidia driver is 368.61. If I roll back to the driver I used to use, Doom crashes out immediately. With the later drivers, it runs fine.

My PSU is not a Seasonic, as per my profile, it's actually a Sirtec. It's three years old.

@diddly

I am at work, but when I get home I will get the temps for the GPU. I know my CPU runs at around 50 degrees when under load and the fans are going full tilt on the GPU, but I will get a proper reading when I get home.

@Asiju

I first upgraded from Win7 64-bit to Win10 64-bit and it was horrendous - crashes all the time. I then performed a clean install and everything was fine, for a while, but the last month or so, it's gone back to crashing all the time. I don't know if Win10 has pushed through an update it didn't like or what.

@cryohellinc

Performed a clean install, but BIOS update is a possibility, although I'm not keen on doing it unless I can rule everything else out. I know BIOS updates are a lot easier these days, but even so......:)

UPDATE: I'm on the latest BIOS, there doesn't appear to be any more after 1.0.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Have you tried to run earlier, older driver versions? E.g. the last one that did not crash with your system?

8. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Hi,

If I go back to my old drivers, Doom crashes. It might be a compromise I'll need to make if I can't find any other resolution.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Duel boot windows 7 or 8.1 and see if the issue pops up inthere.

Your card may be faulty. My 580s started doing something similar when they were on their way out.

Actually roll back to 314.xx as they were the last soild set of driver nvidia releaesed, imo. Try that first.

10. You're either overheating or your PSU is overloading. The graphics driver will not crash your entire system. Post your ingame temps- "I know my CPU runs at around 50 degrees" sounds like you haven't actually checked temps in years.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ok.

Like suggested the GPU or the PSU may be about to fail. Or the GPU may be overheating.

Monitor temperatures during gaming using Afterburner and report back.
    You could replace the thermal paste on your GPU anyhow as if it's still original it's very likely hardened and not very effective anymore.
    Clean the cooler too while at it (and the rest of your PC if not done recently).

12. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    I've had a look at 314.xx release notes and it doesn't show the 780ti as a supported chipset.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

I will do some more research when I get home :)

13. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    What happens when it crashes during game? Does the game crash to desktop or does the system freeze or reboot?

That would be great - just to confirm that the nvidia driver is the problem.

Ok, well that makes things a lot simpler, we can rule out overclocking.

Have you tried 368.81?

Have you tried changing the "Power management mode" in the nvidia control panel to "Prefer maximum performance"? Your 780ti could become unstable when changing p-states.

Which model exactly?

How many watts is it rated for?

How many amps can it draw on the 12V rail(s)?

Have you tried running a few loops of Unigine Heaven Benchmark to test temperatures/stability?

14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Run OCCT with error checking enabled. If you get errors then your GPU is unstable. It may be that the crappy thermal paste from factory has dried out and needs to be changed. (Does not void warranty on most GPU's). I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught. F'uck Arctic Silver. Pure mediocrity.

Use these settings when running the test.
    [​IMG]
    Go for 300 seconds, keep MSI afterburner open in the background to monitor temps, and GPU-Z open to check for any perfcaps (which you will likely have because stock bios is sh!t).

You're probably missing out on 15-20%+ performance by not overclocking and using a custom bios. Once the stability problem is solved that would be the next thing to work towards.

If you think it's a system instability (could be RAM actually) you want to run Realbench Stress testing for at least 1 hour. If you BSOD or fail it's almost certainly a hardware issue - one that may require either an RMA, or a tweak in bios settings, or needing to correct temps.

15. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Also stress test using OCCT in power supply mode, just in case its anything else in your system. Best to monitor with HWINFO64 sensors while you do this.

16. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
  17. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    check ram.

18. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Thank you so much, everyone for all your suggestions. I did some testing last night and found the following:

@crazybaldhead - there's a small variance between cores on the temperature front, core 2 is 54 degrees, the others are 51. This is while running Unigine Heaven for over 30 minutes.

@AsiJu - Using GPU-Z to check, I'm getting temps of 83 degrees, which I thought was insanely high, but apparently, according to Guru3D, that's normal for my card.

@chinobino -
    1 - Usually my crashes are CTDs, mentioning NVxxx has stopped responding. However, I've had it where it is completely unresponsive, couldn't bring up Task Manager and had to reset it through hardware.

2 - I have saved my event viewer log, but not sure how to post it on here? Also, shamefully, I'm not sure even how to interpret it.

3 - I have now changed the power management profile to "Maximum Performance" - it was previously on "Adaptive."

4 - I misspoke earlier - my driver version is actually 368.39. I will clean with DDU and install the latest driver, give that a go.

5 - My PSU is actually a Novatech 750 Black, which I have read is apparently a rebranded Sirtec. That particular model is discontinued by Novatech, so I'm not sure what the specs are. :confused:

@bishi - Thank you for the pointers - I will install and run that tonight.

@cookieboyeli - Thanks for the dowload links, I will be getting those tonight.

@snight01 - That's something that I hadn't thought of, but it wouldn't surprise me. My system is really old in places and the RAM is the oldest.

Can anyone recommend a RAM test I could use?

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed, your help is much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  19. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Use the built in windows memory diagnostic (since win 7)
    or
    HCI Memtest (to test within windows)
    or
    Memtest86

all are free

20. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I used to have a similar issue back with an old card. What actually seemed to fix it for me was increasing the TdrDelay in the registry. Worth a try anyway.

1. Open Registry Editor. You can open it by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit.
    2. When Registry Editor opens navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

3. See if there’s a DWORD called TdrDelay available. If it is, go to the next step. In case there’s no TdrDelay DWORD available, right click on a empty space and choose New > DWORD and set its name to TdrDelay.
    4. Double click the TdrDelay DWORD and change its value to 8 (it should be 2 by default).
    5. Restart

Also as far as Windows 10, best drivers I have used so far were the 359.06's