AMD Reports 2016 Second Quarter Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2016 of $1,027 million, operating loss of $8 million, and net income of $69 million, or $0.08 per diluted share. Non-GAAP operating income was $3 ...

AMD Reports 2016 Second Quarter Results

2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Hey this is good, they're keeping their heads up. Between Polaris' lineup getting completed and Zen + Vega being released later I've high hopes for AMD this year and the next.

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    That's a good turn-around.

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Errrm, where did you see "good" here?
    Losses everywhere, with a 1 or 2 slightly improved indicators. And actually NO strategy for improvement until 2017 (VEGA and ZEN will not see the light of the day in 2016 for masses).
    The only "good" here is that they are not floating belly-up already (which means it is only "good" by the virtue of not being THAT bad).

I am known for my dislike of AMD, but sorry - this time I am as objective as possible.

P.S. I wonder why they didn't say a word about PS4 refresh.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    They made their profit on 480 hype, now that 1060 gets on the market, I doubt there will be any growth in profit for them.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you had ability to remember what you did yesterday and reflect upon that, you would not made such statement.
    Or maybe it is uninformed statement without even attempt to understand AMD's long term situation?
    - - - -
    Secondly, thinking about RX-480 effect. How long it is on market? For what percentage of Q2?
    I'd leave this here:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_480_STRIX_OC/25.html

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Sorry to disappoint you, but as a human being I have such an ability (WOW, shocking, isn't it?), and I still made that statement.

No, I am quite informed, and as AMD's long term situation is NOT in 2017, there's nothing to be particularly happy with in 2016. (re-read my previous post - it is only good that they are not dead yet).

The problem is that RX*** is not that relevant. And now when Nvidia countered it - it became even less.
    I do not say it doesn't bring them money, but it isn't the savior product for them either.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I can see them being profitable for the first time in years next quarter. Q2-2016 wins Q2-2015 so hard.

They haven't seen much profits from the RX 480 yet. And while this card is not going to save anything it is selling good and provides a platform from where to get higher.

9. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    According to Gibbo(OCUK), RX480 sales are even higher after 1060 has been released :nerd:

10. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    That's cuz a lot of people wait and see the competitor's GPU. The 4GB 480's still a great proposition even when compared to a 1060.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Plus they seem to have a supply shortage on Polaris 10. Q3 will be interesting to see.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10509/amd-releases-q2-fy-2016-financial-results

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    If you were objective you'd note they are selling $4-$5 billion of products in a down year in between old-new product cycles. It's typical of the naysayers and doomsters to focus on the $8M in losses as opposed to the $800M+ in sales they had during the quarter. If I had $5 for every "AMD is doomed" post I've read since 1998 I'd be much wealthier than I am...;)

Stupid people to me are people who pay 100% more to get 20% more performance in terms of 3d-game frame-rates, when their baseline is already 60-100 fps. I mean, seriously, if it wasn't for stupid people, where would Apple be today?...;) j/k

Revisit the issue in 6-9 months...and you'll have to start pushing your "AMD is doomed" prognostication out again. Since 1998 I have a track record of being 100% correct on this issue--and the "AMD is going out of business soon" crowd has been wrong--also 100% of the time. You should maybe give that some thought--but I know, you'll say, "But this time it's different, this time they really are going out of business!" The only way AMD is going out of business is if their GPUs and CPUS simply stop working for some unfathomable reason. Uh-huh, sure, that is just so likely [not]. I have some prime swamp property in Alaska you might be interested in, too...;)

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Agree with you that AMD is not in as serious a predicament as the naysayers project. The worrying factor is that the cash increase was mainly attributable to the cash injection from the start up of the joint venture. Debt was flat; interest payments only. Feelings remain...cash flow issues. The rest is just deferral and recognition games. Cash flow is more important because of the previous sentence. Until AMD gets a qualified opinion, and what that qualification is, on their annual audit (10K), business as usual. They still have a difficult road to travel before seeing black.

15. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Fox, don't waste your time. Some people need to learn how to read financials.
    You can clearly see that AMDs turn-round strategy is working.

16. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    They avoid at all costs reporting GAAP earnings. What a blatant accounting makeup.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Just to be fair, all we know is your track record from July 22, 2016. :)

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The article has both GAAP and non GAAP numbers.