6-Core Intel processors going mainstream in 2018 with Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 21, 2016.

1. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Intel just need to stop changing sockets every 5 minutes. I miss the days of LGA775 because lately if an intel motherboard fails after 2 years you have no hope of finding a decent replacement board because the high end chipsets are discontinued so quickly. Sneaky way for intel to force a CPU replacement more regularly and stuff their pockets :banana: AMD have the right idea with providing compatibility throughout a memory generation.

2. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Why not just i3 4 core, i5 6 core then i7 6 core with HT?

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Or i3 2c/4t as is now, i5 4c/8t and i7 6c/12t.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's a little strange that nobody has read between the lines of what this news actually means. Intel were meant to be releasing i5 and i7 based Cannonlake processors in 2018, based on a new process (10 nm), and likely also architectural changes but not as much as being classified as a new architecture. However, it appears now only the lower end, low clocked processors will be Cannonlake, and this new Coffee Lake is simply the second refresh of Skylake, and will be on 14 nm.

The question of how the 6 cores plus (supposedly) GT3e graphics will fit on the chip is an intrigueing one. Does it mean yet another new socket? If it fits into the current socket, what's the excuse for not doing 6 core so far? I think the 'E' processors answers that one!

So, the two details people have overlooked is that they are:
    • still having issues with 10 nm and Cannonlake, so it is only suitable for lower clock speeds
    • seriously worried about the 8-core Zen processor, hence the release of a standard 6-core.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I have no interest in buying Intel unless they offer an overclockable 6-core without HT. I'd also much rather they stop shipping i5s and i7s with IGPs and then sell them for a lower price. I have never known anybody who intentionally used the IGP of a desktop i7 beyond diagnostics.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't know, CPU timeline frozen since Sandy Bridge was released. (yay 2500k :banana: circlejerk :banana:)

I owned core2duo 6600e before switching to sandy, actually owned it for same span time as I own sandy now.

Back then I was desperate to overclock core2duo to get playable framerates for Bad Company 2. I was so desperate, I blowed it up once I reached 50% OC.

I never thought I would be able to own same CPU for more than 5 years and still be happy with it, and there just no need to upgrade (not even overclock).
    Modern Graphical API makes better usage of CPU idle cores, games are still heavily GPU oriented.

So... back on topic. I actually like they mentioned it for mainstream. Mainstream means cheap (around $200).
    So if intel manages to deliver a cpu with 6 cores and performance per core better than current model, I am sold. Its actually good.

i7 is always overpriced and I don't see a reason for common gamer to purchase it.

7. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Good to know I have 2 years to save for a replacement for my 3770K.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well this is indeed good news. Here is what I am thinking with Coffee Lake. i3s the same as they always been 2C/4T. The K based i5s 4C/8T Yeah Im thinking that high end i5s will have hyperthreading. The i7s will be 6C/12T like mentioned before.

I am interested if Intel will be making a 6core moible chip for laptops? Since they have moible quads now.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's not really how it works. Each product is named based on features like instruction sets; they don't necessarily correspond to performance brackets. That's why there are i7s that range from 2 to 10 physical cores, yet I'm not aware of a single desktop i5 with HT.

I also wouldn't keep hopes up for a 6-core mobile chip. It's hard enough finding true quad cores (with the exception of Atom-based models).

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's getting real hard to keep track with Intel's generations/names/sockets/etc.

I just hope Zen will hit them in the nuts, so that price/performance ratio will come back on decent levels and that multi-core support will take a bigger role in the coming years.

Personally I plan to hold on on my 5820K for as long as I can, because as things are now, it's still an overkill for gaming, and should be even more so if DX12/Vulkan picks up.

11. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Not saying you're wrong, but you're wrong. :p

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Still using Westmere 32nm myself... and that already is 6 core since 2010!

...getting a bit sick of the bull**** money making scheme that is change motherboard/memory etc by adding a few pins to new CPU.

13. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    The end is near guys. We are reaching 5nm barrier.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I believe this is in response to Zen. Make Intel chips minimum 6 core and that might mean no Zen 4c 8t because maybe only the Zen 8c 16t will match Intel's 6c 12t i7 or even just a 6c no t i5.

So i5's will get a boost by 2 extra cores but no HT.

In gaming a multi-threaded title loves cores and 6 seems like a sweet spot so i'll be watching out for those 6 core i5's with a lot of interest.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    The below is a possibility too imo:

i3=2C/4T

i5=4C/8T

i7=6C/12T

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Joo. En tiedä kumpi on pahempaa: kusi vai kahvi.

17. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    You are going to wait forever because there are always cool new features coming out.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

So people still are focused on the 6-core that they are overlooking the fact Cannonlake is a failure (low clock suitable only)? Be interesting how well the second Skylake refresh overclocks with 6 cores.

20. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Is it just me who thinks they will keep the current i3 2c/4t,i5 4c/4t, i7 4c/8t and just add an i9 6c/12t to justify keeping the same price on the others and introduce a slightly higher on the i9?