3dmark TimeSpy scores

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by spectatorx, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Lacking SSE support for PII and C2Q CPU's.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well mine crashed too 2nd and 3rd time when I tested max gpu oc.. driver kept reseting in a loop lol

*Got 6120points at gpu though.. not that bad considering async is off atm.

I passed gpu but as soon as it tried to run cpu it ctd and then tdr.

Edit:
    Core2 has sse4.1 at least newer 45nm models :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I thought Intel introduced sse4.1 with Nehalem...or that was sse4.2, idk even know anymore.

4. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    With an 1160/1600 overclock: 8% increase overall, 10% graphic increase

[​IMG]

6. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    An Interesting Read for Ya :book:

As for 3D Mark Time Fly... See concurrent vs parallel execution. All of the current games supporting Asynchronous Compute make use of parallel execution of compute and graphics tasks. 3D Mark Time Fly support concurrent. It is not the same Asynchronous Compute.

[​IMG]

Concurrency fills in gaps which are in the execution pipeline. Parallelism executes two tasks at the same time.

Notice the context switch involved?

If 3D Mark Time fly were using Parallel executions then there would be synchronization points between the two contexts (Graphics and Compute). There would also be pipeline stalls on Maxwell GPUs. Both the pipeline stalls and the flush required for a synchronization point would add latency thus leading to Maxwell losing performance when running this variant of Asynchronous compute. We do not see Maxwell losing performance under 3D Mark Time Spy. We see a tiny performance boost. Thus 3D Mark Time Spy is not running Asynchronous Compute + graphics. You see parallel executions = Asynchronous Compute + Graphics. Concurrent execution = Asynchronous Compute. They are not the same thing.

Quote:
    With DirectX 12, GPUs that support asynchronous compute can process work from multiple queues in parallel.
    They can but that is not what 3D Mark is doing.

Quote:
    In Time Spy, asynchronous compute is used heavily to overlap rendering passes to maximize GPU utilization. The asynchronous compute workload per frame varies between 10-20%. To observe the benefit on your own hardware, you can optionally choose to disable async compute using the Custom run settings in 3DMark Advanced and Professional Editions.

That is from 3DMark and can be found in the PC Per review. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Looking-DX12-Asynchronous-Compute-Performance

Yeah... even PCPer went a step further and attacked "AMD Fanboys" when in reality... PC Per do not even know the difference. Tech journalism.... :bang:

What is concurrency?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_computing

Quote:
    Concurrent computing is a form of computing in which several computations are executed during overlapping time periods —concurrently— instead of sequentially (one completing before the next starts).

So yeah... 3D Mark does not use the same type of Asynchronous compute found in all of the recent game titles. Instead.. 3D Mark appears to be specifically tailored so as to show nVIDIA GPUs in the best light possible. It makes use of Context Switches (good because Pascal has that improved pre-emption) as well as the Dynamic Load Balancing on Maxwell through the use of concurrent rather than parallel Asynchronous compute tasks. If parallelism was used then we would see Maxwell taking a performance hit under Time Fly as admitted by nVIDIA in their GTX 1080 white paper and as we have seen from AotS.

[​IMG]

GCN can handle these tasks but performs even better when Parallelism is thrown in as seen in the Doom Vulkan results. How? By reducing the per Frame latency through the parallel executions of Graphics and Compute Tasks. A reduction in the per-frame latency means that each frame takes less time to execute and process. The net result is a higher frame rate. 3DMark lacks this. AotS makes use of both parallelism and concurrency... as does Doom with the new Vulkan patch. See below...

If 3D Mark Time Fly had implemented a separate path and enabled both concurrency and parallelism for the FuryX... it would have caught up to the GTX 1070. No joke.

If both AMD and nVIDIA are running the same code then Pascal would either gain a tiny bit or even lose performance. This is why Bethesda did not enable the Asynchronous Compute + Graphics from the AMD path for Pascal. Instead... Pascal will get its own optimized path. They will also call it Asynchronous Compute... people will think it is the same thing when in reality... two completely different things are happening behind the scene.

[​IMG]

See why understanding what is actually happening behind the scenes is important rather than just looking at numbers? Not all Asynchronous Compute implementations are equal. You would do well to take note of this.

Where are the tech journalists these days?
    Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1605674/computerbase-de-doom-vulkan-benchmarked/220#post_25351958

Now you know why i don't benchmark $_$ my GPU's -> Gaming is better.
    Lies and mislead is there becouse of $$$.

8. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Is this some kind of joke? Then what is that benchmark good for?

9. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
  10. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64

11. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I am rather happy that all this is being revealed ... everyone who is able to use his brain may now form the right conclusions. Sad on the other hand that it has come that far already...

12. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    5820k @ 4.5
    2x290x @ 1207/1610

cfx dont work i dont know why !!! any ideas ;;

[​IMG]

13. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
  14. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    One thing i noticed is how well your AMD CPU is doing in this benchmark.
    You score higher than my Intel i7. Absolutely creaming Intel.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Take a look again. Where do you see that his using an AMD CPU?

16. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
  17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Sorry, was looking at his specs by his profile.
    My bad.

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
  19. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Yeah... mayb i left something running on the background.

20. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    Weak benc