Radeon RX 480 Performance Benchmarks with 16.7.1 driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    OC should be the same/marginally better, since the power draw switches from the motherboard to the PCIe, which can deliver much more.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Basically means the fix will be done at the bios level in future which is as expected.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    People's equipment IS sometimes that bad. That's the whole point of standards.
    To have a system functioning properly even if some component(s) are overshooting ideal specs by few %.
    Because of the wear and tear, QA, sample variation, because of your cat's hairs, or for whatever other reason.

Yet when AMD entirely misses those standards BY A DESIGN, we have to walk on tiptoes
    in order not to hurt the company which sells their products, or perhaps not to hurt someone's feelings.

What has happened here is AMD has been cornered by Nvidia's superior perf/W. So AMD is forced to push the power envelope, or suffer performance.
    Or... tell standards **** all. And that's what they're doing.

AMD is cashing in on other PC components and their respective manufacturers who are in compliance with standards.
    Hoping that most PCs are over-engineered. Such a ridiculous term to be used for a company that does not comply with basic PCI-E standards.
    If only few other manufacturers of PC components were as standard-compliant as AMD, you wouldn't be able to turn your PC on.
    And if everyone was as compliant as AMD, we'd have entire households burning at the very least. No that's not a joke.

Finally, if you want your RX 480 barely within specs, compatibility mode has to be activated. and you will lose few performance %.
    This is not an out of the box setting. Bare that in mind when looking at the benchmarks - all these RX 480 are out of PCI-E specs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  4. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    It shows how well Amd driver has.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  6. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    seems like Amd always have drive issues.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    All this BS is a none issue to me. Firstly we have to remember that this problem will only effect Reference RX480's and the people that buy Reference(exclude Ref only models) are usually not the same type of people like us whom usually only buys 3rd party cards because we like to tinker.

I would never buy a reference card to mess around with and AMD has released somewhat of a fix to try save the RX480 and they had to do it through driver only again mainly because AMD wouldn't trust Ref RX480 buyers to be messing around with Bios updates.

Even i with over 15 years experience cringe while updating or editing GPU bios. That's why i buy mobos with dual bios and luckily for me now GFX cards can come with dual bios as well. If AMD needed a bios fix then i'm sure they would have had to recall and that would of been even more of a PR disaster.

I'm just guessing here but i doubt very much ref RX480 has two bioses right?

Anyway i'm sorry to anyone whom bought this card after reading anything i said about the card. I said this card would be the peoples champion and i really talked AMD up for releasing a 980 performing card @ a $200 price point which would be a fan favorite for a few years. I still think i was right but AMD seems to think differently.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you know what's big part of Tester's job? To ensure that device which is run out of specs fails gracefully without creating opportunity to kill someone.

What you describe is situation where all people in testing go with: "Well, we did set limit, if you are not within it, you can as well die."

But your damn PSU has certain input voltage in which it works as intended. For voltages below and above, it is tester's job to check that it will not damage everything around and set user on fire.
    Same goes for everything. And that's why AMD's card are not burning.
    If they were limited on something, then it was time budget, because they released RD 480 on test board as you can see on those pins close to exhaust.
    If we ignore GPU itself: From board complexity and components used, AMD makes more expensive card than GTX 1080.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Fox
    So did I got anything wrong?

You're doing the exact same thing that AMD has done:
    Falling back to other companies testers and standards; and hoping no one else has skipped their homework like AMD, and have instead stuck with industry specifications.

AMD boards being more complex and more expensive might sound attractive, but if anything it only adds to company insolvency.
    Any idiot can design an over-kill product, and price it $100 bellow competition therefore winning perf/$. The idea is to struck a balance and make a living out of your product.
    And the fact that some parts are overkill while the product itself does not follow PCI-E spec is beyond irresponsible, and shoots down any advantage brought by quality parts.
    It's what we call an unbalanced design.

11. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Both have a lot, but it is hard to compare because there are no real objective analysis on how much, most of what we read is quite subjective. Personally it seems to me that Nvidia is forgiven for a lot more, and people forget easier. Imagine if AMD required people to login to download drivers, I'd expect just this to cause quite controversy.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Well said and agree 100%.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, nothing at all. I just adjusted that "Budget" into bit other direction.
    It is quite likely that AMD could have had final PCB ready long time before launch. Someone somewhere slept for too long.
    (I am not always throwing punches at people I quote.)

But I still stand with "Failing Gracefully" as requirements in every device. You do not want to die in hospital because someone did not test effect of lower input voltage on device dosing your sedatives.

14. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Once in the hospital I had my morphine pump fail in the middle of the night. Then it started emitting loud beeping noises. Woke up my roommate. She thought it was rather funny, as admittedly did I. Eventually a nurse came with a flashlight but he couldn't fix the pump and did not seem inclined to replace it at that hour. Or even try.

He gave me a shot of something and I don't remember much after that.

My AMD card is yet to emit loud beeping noises.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Trying to understand a possible possibility. WattMan supposedly gives one control over per state clocks, voltages, and temperatures. Would it not be in the realm of possibility that one can get the RX480 into compliance by utilizing this feature and not dealing with this driver fix?

I know one should not have to be even faced with such a situation to configure a card in such a manor. Just trying to understand if this would even be in the realm of possibility.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But, why would you?

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Trying to comprehend just how much control one actually has compared to say AB.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It seems to have much more control since you can control the voltage/frequencies of each state of the card individually.

19. putterman

putterman Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 580 3 way sli
    Wow I guess they had no choice but to drop price. I wonder how much of it was contributed by not going with TSMC? GLOBAL Foundries is making this right?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah now is above 8000pts. in 3D Mark P
    OCed can go up to 8300-8500pts. but this RX 480 is a great performer for Buck
    Well Done ATI/AMD :flip2:
    The 390/x is almost 'in grasp' with some OC...