Nvidia announces GeForce GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Demand is tremendous for these Pascal cards .... either be patient and wait a few weeks for supply to meet the huge demand or maybe try your luck and order directly from a manufacturers site.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    We are talking about a potential 10-20% performance from the 480.
    I don't see how anyone would buy the 480 if this one delivers the promised performance while being practically the same price as the 480.

What we know about DX12 are still titles which are half-assed. I don't think we should jump to conclusions this early.
    The only title built with DX12 from the ground up is AotS which is basically AMD's pet project. I have massive reservations when it comes to the validity of its performance.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Come on, nvidia cards are never the same price, they are always more expensive. 1060 FE will be 300$ and i can asure you that aftermarket cards that come after will keep that same 300$ price range. We are talking 6gb ver becouse 3gb ver should be avoided.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I do see 1060 if it matches 980 exactly being -12% slower to 15% faster then rx 480. The reference rx 480 that likes to throttle at times quite a bit.

The 1060 @ 2ghz would give something like 14500 gpu score tho (going by the leaked 13400 number @ stock 1.7ghz boost). That is at least 300 points higher then 1380 mhz rx 480.

@ stefan well rx 480 has one disadvantage vs hawaii and that is rops it has 32 albeit pixel fillrate is for stock 40.2GPixels Hawaii still does 60+

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wouldnt worry about tbh. I think id rather wait for when Nvidia sorts out their DX12 issues or AMD stops with the rebrands.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    For the monies, it'll be good for the next 12months. GTX980 is still a good card for 1080p. Long-term, if we assume games won't get that much more demanding due to consoles, then, these cards (GTX1060, RX480, GTX980, R9 390X, Nano etc) should be ok.

We shouldn't look too far into the future using these kind of cards though. I'm certain that the console refreshes will change the playability of some late 2017 games for these cards.

For 2016, most every game will run fine and if you've got a big back catalogue of games, then, all those games will be more enjoyable too.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Well, no. Look at the specs of the new PS4 and XB. When these current consoles came along, we all thought the closer to pc archtecture would ead to better ports. How wrong were we. Hardware requirements went through the roof for console ports.

So with that in mind, i dont see the anything other than the 1080/ti and up lasting that long at all.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats why when you buy these midrange cards you scrap everything you can. Even if 256bit/8GB rx480 and better performance with dx12 api dosnt seem to have an advantage now it might later on.

RX480 = 5.6 trflops
    GTX1060 = 4.6 trflops

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    980ti vs Fury X, 680 vs 7970

10. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    So what???RX480 can't touch GTX 980 with around 4,5 Tflops

RX480 doesn't have any better performance with dx12 api. Just have better performance with Asycshaders games(AOS and Hitman) .
    Rise of Tombraider 2016 is patched for dx12 like Hitman , but don't use asyncshaders, in this game GTX 980 is faster even than FuryX
    So mister....you just be joking, right?

Just wait for the first native DX12 game (not the AOS AMD game) before speculating about how NVIDIA or AMD can handle that games

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

11. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    @PrMinisterGR is the only one who knows his stuff. Spot on.

As far as the flamewars go: "It is the 21st millenium and there is only war..." :p :p

There really is no need in comparing products just for the sake of which one is fastest/better. Both of them are so close that it will matter only on the spot: at the store/webshop selling them. What design do you prefer ? What software/game(s) are bundled ? What promotion is going for some products ?

Do we even SEE or notice the difference ? What if we took 2 PC's with the same game and settings and put them right next to each other ? One runs team green, the other one runs team red. No FPS indicators or anything. Then ask the question: which one do you prefer ?

And as far as pricing goes: it's a hoax. Much like the emissions ratings for cars (eg Volkswagen). GFX card official "advised" prices are much the same. They will always be (a lot) more expensive than they are advertised on beforehand. Little to do with supply/demand. Of course it will influence it to some extent, but not by what we are told.

I just wonder when we'll see the software catching up. 10-15 years ago the fastest card could pull the latest title barely at decent frames without or little AA/AF. Today the 1080 eats everything raw at ridiculous resolutions/AA.
    That is also why GFX manufacturers could lower the pace massively until an almost stand still/crawl by using rebadging over and over again.

Perhaps we all forgot, or some newer kids never knew, that back in the days there was a mere 6 months, 1 year tops in between major gfx cards updates ? The Geforce256 DDR card was introduced end 1999 (November/December), the succesor Geforce 2 GTS, easily offering twice the power, was released april 2000 !!

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think it's the poor ports "on release" like Quantum Break that sours the situation. For the most part the GTX980 will play most games just fine at 1080p. I really don't see things changing that much until late 2017 like I said.

Games like Doom (cross-platform) do balance the situation and show it doesn't have to be the way it is.

Undying: I honestly think RX480 DX12 performance will improve, but, I don't think it'll be enough to keep it going at 1080p@60fps late 2017. Performance is good to playable for 2016 DX12 though.

Tomb Raider: 63fps
    Hitman: 75fps
    Total War: Warhammer: 74fps
    AoTS: 50fps

Additional QB benchmark on a lower-end system than HH's
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-19.html

Quantum Break (medium, no aa): 63fps

25% more demanding games would drag these cards down to well below 60fps. Games as demanding/poor as QB will need to be run at reduced settings for sure as is needed already.

Even in DX11, games like The Division is already maxing-out these cards.

The best thing to do to pro-long the life of these cards is to lower/turn-off AA/AF/AO as needed, otherwise, these are 12months cards.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way, Rise of the Tomb Raider now uses async after the latest patch on GCN >1.1 and Pascal.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Question, when has the 980 been faster than the Fury X? Or are you talking the Ti?

15. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's hard to say though that the 980 is faster than the Fury X, there were a few situations in the benchmark listings where the 980 did trump the Fury X but it was a small difference. In these situations though, when the higher resolutions came into play, the Fury X did end up being faster or matching the 980...

Now I will say, the cost of the 980 versus the Fury X currently, well you wouldn't notice a difference most likely if going for the 980 and you're still saving some money. =]

Oh and props for using the Guru3d benchmarks instead of linking to an outside community! :D

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Tbh, I'd use the Guru3D benchmarks more if I could link directly to the image. I often find myself wanting to use them, but if you copy the image address and link that you get this for example:

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=23385

Which just downloads the image.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You can inbed the image using the image address like this.
    [​IMG]

19. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    Did I ever ever said that 980 is faster tha Fury X overall? I was talking only about DX12 games and Rise of Tombraider

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT