Rise of the Tomb Raider performance, and troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Pretty much like the TALOS team done it for.
    To show that it works, and that they will work based on feedback that they get from the people.

I would preffer that they release good and later, but i guess they like to hear people screaming.

2. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Every studio needs to learn how to use dx12. Only way to do it, is by testing.

Anyways, anyone figured out what additional effects they added to dx12 path?

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    As far as i know, they didn't implemented any.
    Even the VXAO only works under DX11 (and maxwell only)

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If it's a wrapper, that would explain the suckballery. They probably did it to start familiarizing themselves with it, or on purpose to make DX12 seem irrelevant, which would make sense with a heavy NVIDIA backing.

5. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well i think that might be a wrapper, for having a massive performance lost, its the only explanation.

But i would love to have more feedback from them, not only going there, release that and not even a mention if it is WIP or Beta, because this results are completely OFF!

I used to love nixxes for its ports, but since the last game of Lara Croft and the temple of osiris that was ported by them, i lost some of my respect for them.

And now we have this sort of patches that should be on a beta branch, and not on a stable branch.
    There are plenty of users that now on DX11, the game crashes, some can't even start the game.

After this, people still ask me why do i wait so much and buy the games on sales after 1 year XD

6. maceh

maceh Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC
    ROTR is a game developed to DX11 libraries... since developers develop with DX12 in mind we don't see any favorable result

7. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Interesting VRAM / RAM usage

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

http://techbuyersguru.com/first-look-dx12-performance-rise-tomb-raider?page=1

There's already comments from testers that it's always first run that is slow. 2nd concecutive run in benchmark should be faster.

To sum it up, 2nd run should give better minimums because of memory management (they really need to work on their memory management)

8. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire

http://techbuyersguru.com/first-look-dx12-performance-rise-tomb-raider?page=1

LOL... didn't think I'd see the day so soon when 8GB VRAM is eaten up like nothing at only 1440p...

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    for War Thunder this is a game issue.

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Witcher 3 uses negative texture LOD bias (set TextureMipBias=0 in user.settings, make it read-only and force driver AF for better texture filtering) and has shimmering on Nvidia as well, even without bias.
    I think texture filtering has been that way for quite some time now on GCN, not great but neither terrible.

11. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    7900XTX OC
    I don't know where I read it but I read that the game only use async compute for some lighting and my understanding is most part of the game isn't really using dx12 code. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

For my rig @1440p nothing has changed dx11 /dx12 they're pretty much the same in game. At this stage I prefer dx11 as I can use freesync which helps a lot.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes it don't use it properly like X1 version (which is pure DX12_11.3 Game with Async Sh. for effects like: Snow/some post effects and AA)
    nMilk don't support New H/W Features like Radeon so Nixxes was forced to cut-Off essencial part of the RotTR code :-( and now they trying to revers it to original state. You'll need to be patient 1-2moths and game will be Fixed but in the mean time price drops will occur :bang:
    I'm always buying Games after patches 2-3 moths after release :) cheaper and better :nerd:

13. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    For me dx12 matters a lot, much higher min fps. Also tb vsynced dx12 is much smoother than tb vsynced dx11. Here are some benchmark charts, 2nd run, 1080p, High preset, no vsync.

Framerate
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Frametimes
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Sorry for the necro-ish bump, I'm looking to maybe get this game now that it's been out a few months, since I've liked the older one.

I know there are a few other CF users around here and I'd appreciate some input on how the game performs after driver updates and patches, I know CF didn't work well at release. Basically I'm looking for 50+ FPS at 4K, high-ish settings and no AA. Any idea if I could get that on 290X CF? If I can't I'd rather not bother with it at all and maybe play it later after I upgrade.

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    After some driver updates the game did run quite well, even in the 'cpu bottlenecked areas'.

Before 4K was a stuttering mess, even at 40 - 50 FPS, but after a driver update it became much much smoother.

There are still some small areas that will causes a huge FPS drop, but most of the time it is running fine.

It has been a while since i last played the game, so i cannot say how it runs now.

16. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Thanks for the input. That sounds to be slightly below what I'd like, dropping below 50 really feels noticeably more stuttery to me, even with FreeSync and all.

Not sure if I'll get it. I wish I had an option to test how well it runs, but there's no demo or benchmark for the thing.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i still cant seem to find on the map the lost city of kitezh, i only can find the geothermal valley, i cant find the part where i was breaking the big gates in the city, i'm stuck in the map kind of... any fix thx.

18. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX

You mean where you smash the gates with fireballs?
    if so its in the area where the circle is.

[​IMG]

19. Grabber

Grabber Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 7850
    New patch is out:

How is the RX480 now performing? :)

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT