Radeon RX 480 Performance Benchmarks with 16.7.1 driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Freesync. Now the rumors say that Vega with HMB2 will not even come this year so till that time 480 will have to do, and it will.
    I don't need every setting in games maxed, often they add just about nothing but gives a huge performance hit.

Besides I have a huge back catalogue to play through, a lot of of older stuff. 480 will do fine with those.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You cannot directly compare gcn1.0 vs 4.0 and judge its perfomance based on firestrike. I also have 280X, also hitting a 10k graphics score but there is alot more performance than 20% for 480.

Take a look, 280X vs 380X vs RX480 :

3. terremonde

terremonde Guest

GPU:
    asus amd 6670 ddr5
    love amd but

man i dono how these things get past launch. i honestly have no clue. dont they have there own testers... dont they think this would be negative impact on a launch they hoped would boost there sales. now tainted with this. /sigh:bang:
    ill still buy one though :cheers:

4. cocopipi

cocopipi Guest

GPU:
    strongest
    Just try those benches yourself ... that kind of channels are supported by manufacturers. One word - lobbying. Witcher 3 - 30fps ??? Never got under 50 ...

5. cocopipi

cocopipi Guest

GPU:
    strongest
    And testers often compare old driver scores with recent ones. HH's FireStrike score of 7970 GHz is 6825 for like forever :) Don't trust everything you get served ... try it yourself and you will see. They just don't have time to test old HW again and again when new drivers are relised.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Your gpu is stronger then mine then. Since that witcher 3 with all maxed out is not easy to run over 50 fps.

7. cocopipi

cocopipi Guest

GPU:
    strongest
    Just read comments under that video (270x user is confused about fps ... he is also getting 35 - 50fps outdoors and 60 indoors). Just weird :(

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Good job AMD. You should be able to do some mild overclocking now if you have a decent mobo (which you should have before considering any overclocking anyway), but I'd still suggest getting an AIB Rx 480 for Overclocking (also generally a good principle irregardless). For the moment at least this remains my top recommendation for the average gamer on a budget (aka, people that don't ever read tech forums etc...).

11. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Unfortunately the card is still out of spec .... in worst case scenario approx. 12.7% based on PcPer choice of games for analysis. All games tested were out of spec ....

Edit:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's not as bad. ATX 6 pin connectors can handle much more than 75W.

13. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Rumors where? I was kind of hoping for an early Vega release so I could put my Nano back in my second computer and have it quieter in here.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I don't think it was blown out of proportion, if only 10 people were effected then that's 10 people too many.

I still think it was a PR disaster even though the actual issues where Sort of fixed with their driver it should of never happened in the first place and shows really bad electrical engineering.

I'd say this card is slightly crippled because a 3rd party card with a factory overclock will be closer to 200w than 150w.

3rd party RX480s will be really good budget cards, it's just a shame the RX480 name was dragged through the dirt by it's own company.

Remember it took 3rd party people to find this issue and force AMD to try fixing it but to me that means either AMD has really poor testing methods or they knew about it and thought they could get away with it.

We all have our favorite card makers but AMD/Nvidia is not one of them and we all know why that is too, unless you have no choice in this regard. TX for example which i'm assured was much better made than usual Ref cards which isn't a surprise with the cost of TX on release.

15. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Yep, it just doesn't pay for CPU/GPU manufacturers to try and get away with this kind of crap. With the testing methods used nowadays, you will be caught.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Since pci-e slot is 75w but in reality 66w amd is out of spec. Well damn.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    A step in the right direction. I wouldn't say it's solved, but, this driver does give a little peace of mind. I hope this is fully rectified at the bios level for "2nd batch" cards.

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    how do you think a rectification at bios level is any different from what has been done now / what rectification do you think of?

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I wonder how did this never come up with cards using more then 75w without a 6 pin connector. Like the 750 ti. Couldn't find any radeons lately w/o 6 pin damnit that exceed 75w.

And if the pci-e slot is 75w I consider it 75w so they did that.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I expect it to be fully fixed. Period.