New card for my ROG Swift 1440p 144Hz monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jonathanese, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jonathanese

Jonathanese Guest

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 1200/9200
    Hey folks. Been a while since I was on. As in, last time I had a Geforce 6600GT and Athlon XP 3000+ o_O. (The specs on the left should be up-to-date now)

Anyway, I got a new monitor recently. The ROG Swift 1440p, 144Hz monitor. It's the TN model, not the IPS, but I got it for something like $400 so I'm certainly not complaining.

My brother needs a new card (OK, he needs "A" card), so I am selling him my 970 for $200. So I am here trying to decide between the GTX 1080 and 1070. I have G-Sync, so I'm going to be sticking with NVIDIA for a while.

I definitely overclock. I almost always try to flash an overclock with custom fan settings and a huge bump in power target. My 970 STRIX is currently set so its base TDP is about 150% of stock. This gets me to 1500MHz and 8GHz, which gets it running about like a stock 980. So I could definitely use the extra power plugs if possible.

I don't need any kind of 144Hz frame lock in new games, but I do want something future-proof. I now and again see the 1070 STRIX model available, so I am considering that, but I'm also considering waiting on the 1080 STRIX model if they could EVER RESTOCK THESE DANG 1080 CARDS.

Any recommendations on which one I could get? Would the 1070 be worth it, or should I just go ahead and jump up to the 1080? I'm an engineer with basically no major bills except student loans, so I can pay for either in about half a week, though I might need convincing to spend in the $600's on a card.

As far as games?
    - Modded minecraft 90% of the time (SEUS 10.2)
    - Modded Skyrim (custom ENB)
    - Unreal Tournament (new alpha)
    - Crysis series
    - Mostly prepping for Mass Effect: Andromeda
    - Replay all kinds of older games.

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1080 is the card for 1440p.
    1070 is a 100-120fps for a 1080p monitor.

Your cpu "might" hold a powerful gpu a little back maybe.

PS: Someone may say your games aren't that uber demanding, I don't think this way. I think that my gaming system should play anything at its best.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    A 1080 is perfect for driving your Swift :) .

4. Jonathanese

Jonathanese Guest

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 1200/9200
    Yeah, I get that now and again when I mention minecraft.

But between Buildcraft, Biomes O'Plenty, custom Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders, R3D texture pack, and my own custom heightmaps for parallax occlusion mapping, I usually see about 11GB of RAM usage, and the graphics memory pegs out at my full 4GB, usually saying higher due to allocating extra space. I get 30-50FPS with those settings. Skyrim, modded how I like it, gets about 25FPS. LIkely because of the brute-force methods these kinds of shader mods tend to use.

This is on a card that, at 1080p, rarely dropped below 60FPS in Crysis 3.