16.6.2 drivers available from AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Jun 29, 2016.

1. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Anyone try this with elite dangerous?

I've been using the 15.12 crimson software with 16.6.1 driver. Its the only way I can force crossfire on as elite dangerous takes a big performance hit without it. Using the new crimson software removes the option to force.

2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    thanks!

it's really an interesting tech but yeah, my eyes are still good enough to be annoyed by the quality loss in quickly changing scenery :)

3. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Have you tried creating a profile for the game and forcing CF using one the available modes?

[​IMG]

Yeah, we should have known AMD will never be able to fix their broken CF support...

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

Actually VSR from what I've tested (And probably Nvidia DSR too from what I've read.) will require true full-screen for properly scaling the displayed image whereas in borderless or windowed it'll be incorrect ("pixelated" could be a good word for it.) though for games enforcing borderless (For example Unity Engine ones.) you can bypass this easily by setting the desktop resolution to a VSR/DSR one and then run the game borderless or windowed. :)
    (Which can also be used if you want to play a game in borderless or windowed mode with driver downsampling.)

One other issue is that games with a locked max resolutions or problematic scaling UI's will not really be fully compatible with downsampling either because you can't exceed say 1920x1080 or because the UI elements will be too tiny to properly read when downsampling.
    (GeDoSaTo a software solution for downsampling gets around this for some few games via inbuilt profiles in it's software and then user made profile settings for say custom scaling options or mouse compatibility though unfortunately as of yet GeDo is still only capable of DX9 downsampling though there has been some progress with D3D11 and even OpenGL plus it now supports 64-bit too making it compatible with for example some of the later UE3 games which still use D3D9 but make use of 64-bit.)

One other thing that kinda irks me about custom resolutions and driver downsampling is how any explorer.exe open windows are sometimes resized after exiting the game and having the desktop re-size back to the monitors native res but this is more of a OS issue as I've come to understand it and there are various workarounds.

And then there's another issue with downsampling being much more demanding and thus games with stability problems can be very prone to crashes, Fallout 4 for example had a bit of this even causing the display driver to reset with some of the earlier Crimson drivers.
    (Having "only" 4 GB - or less - VRAM can also be a issue in some newer games that can exceed that limit even with a resolution of 1920x1080 or sometimes even lower.)

EDIT: Oh and yeah the max resolution of 3840x2160 / 3840x2400 only being available on GCN 1.2 GPU models (Fury/Nano mainly.) with others being limited to I think it's 3200x1800 for 16:9 and for 16:10 they don't even offer 2880x1800 natively (A 1.5x increase.) limiting you to 2560x1600 without adding a custom res via regedit tweaking, using that same regedit I think the absolute max without the display driver crapping out on GCN 1.1 and earlier is something like 3360x2700 somewhere.
    (AMD keeps citing some hardware scaler as the reason but I'm not entirely convinced of that plus as was shown for a brief time in earlier drivers the 7000 series and a few other "unsupported" GPU models could do VSR at "4k" too.)

(Would be very demanding - as if the so-called 4K resolutions weren't enough of a performance hog in newer games, heh. - but offering at least a 2x downsampling res for 2560x1440 / 2560x1600 would be nice - 5120x2880 - instead of "only" 1.5x - 3840x2160 but it can't be done with the current limit.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

5. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Maybe I am mixing the two modes but based on what I remember from some tests I did a while back, CF works in one of those modes while VSR works in the order, forcing CF users to choose one of these two in many occasions.

I had high hopes for GeDoSaTo but it still needs a lot of work. It pretty much never works in games that are not listed in white-list that is shipped with the package by default.

In my case, ALT+TABing from some games when using VSR breaks parts of the desktop and completely breaks scaling in Firefox. Exiting the game fixes most of these, though.

I think previously, by modding the driver, people had managed to bypass AMD's artificial limit on the HD7xxx series but it is not possible with the new drivers anymore. With registry tweaking, HD7xxx is still limited to a maximum resolution of 2720 x 1530, which is not much different from the default 2560x1440. Apparently, it didn't occur to AMD that HD7xxx CF users might be able to go a little bit higher than single-card users.

6. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=407789&highlight=vsr

The VSR problem I'm speaking about. Was working perfectly fine, until some got messed up and won't work with my screen combo anymore. :bang:

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    "Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

So new driver today? :p

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

Crossfire as far as I'm aware isn't entirely compatible with fullscreen although since it's been many years since I tested it way back with a 4970X2 GPU I'm not sure if it just scales poorly or if it doesn't work whatsoever outside of exclusive fullscreen though hopefully it does work to some degree as that seems very limited otherwise.

VSR does allow you to set the added resolutions even in borderless or windowed mode but the scaling will be a bit messed up so you don't get any benefit from it besides a performance hit, image will still be pretty aliased and a bit pixelated too unless you downsample the desktop first and then run a game over that, hopefully that's something that can be improved upon in some upcoming driver release.

(In addition to Crossfire and VSR I think there's something about power efficiency too but I do not know much about that.)

For GeDoSaTo in my own testing the latest version can be made compatible with nearly any D3D9 game now but it's very picky about settings, some games won't allow forcing certain overrides such as borderless without crashing for example and others need various (currently.) less documented compatibility flags and settings so making a working profile for a problematic game can be a bit well finicky to put it mildly (There's like I think a total of some 30 or so settings in total with many of them not being documented fully.) and that doesn't touch upon games with a hard set resolution limit or other issues where a override profile is needed and those are coded into the source of GeDoSaTo directly (Such as the one for Dark Souls 2 for example.) so it's not as easy as setting some overrides in a .txt file as with normal profiles. (Some games can also be a bit finicky with how newer GeDoSaTo builds hook into the game and changes to that process has also rendered GeDoSaTo incompatible with the SecureBoot bios functionality and newer OS's.)

(Of course unless updated further soon it'll be of little use for any new game releases with D3D11 slowly replacing D3D9 little by little though I'm hoping Durante will have the time needed to improve upon the utility further.)

Hopefully AMD keeps improving VSR and adding features or higher supported max resolutions but I don't know what their plans might be short of the current critical issue with the 480 GPU's power draw being higher than intended, hardware wise I guess they're prepping Vega now for release late this year or possibly the 470 before that.
    (There's a whole range of other bugs too I guess both for the driver and it's software and then the whole issue with Crossfire support being generally fairly slow or perhaps even game support in general but eh I don't know if those two will truly ever be resolved, not all games are multi-GPU friendly after all and working on game profiles is probably pretty complex and slow too both with fixing any potential issues and optimizations unless AMD worked closely with the developer since early-on during the games creation.)

Hopefully, though it might be a 480 series exclusive hotfix driver until they can make a more tested WHQL release plus WHQL certification takes a few weeks in general although I suppose AMD could do a 16.7.1 beta driver too if there's room for more fixes (Well there's always stuff to fix but if said fixes are stable enough to merge into a general beta release driver I mean.) and stuff like Crossfire tweaks or just fixing the RadeonSettings/CNext software, maybe finally removing the legacy part of it and integrating the settings properly into the new software for one thing. :)
    (Expanding Wattman for older GPU's would be nice to see too but that probably won't happen just yet.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would love to know how they'll do that. All indications show that their auto-tuning software for the GPU was a bit overzealous with voltages.

10. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    The second GPU doesn't do anything in that case, it stays in 2D clocks and you get no scaling.

I have experienced two cases. In one, the image is upsampled but not downsampled, i.e., parts of the image are "outside of the monitor". In the other case, the image is downsampled, but mouse position isn't, i.e., mouse clicks register on a position different from where the cursor is.
    You raise an interesting point, though. I have never tried setting my desktop resolution to the VSR resolution before starting problematic games. Then again I don't want my desktop become a blurry mess due to downsampling.

I have tried GeDoSaTo three times so far for three different games, it only worked in one of them. I have tried looking for some walkthrough or document that shows how to get it to work in games it doesn't work with out of the box, but I never found any. Now I'm kinda hesitant to go back again and again, just to be disappointed. ;p