Early Batches of Radeon RX 480 4GB cards actually do have 8GB memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting. Reminds me of the old cards from Nvidia and ATI/AMD where you could unlock additional pipelines. I wonder why nobody from AMD's tech division or QA department tested these cards to make sure they were truly 4Gb cards and not 8Gb cards with disabled memory chips. To me if anyone who bought any of these early batch cards and found this out AMD could lose some money on the Sales of the 8Gb version.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The odd thing to me is there is so much conflicting information after the card is released. Sure we had the GTX 970 stuff but that was just a single issue.

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    apart from the different views on prime cost (non-retail) of gddr5 chips.
    the rumour that 8GB cards are sold as 4GB cards has been validated 2 days ago:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5298752&postcount=33

i didnt ask you to perform research for me.
    i already did research enough, i was just offering you to convince yourself of that, if you had doubts.

we're talking 4 chips of 32x256M (as listed on page 7, s/n: K4G80325FB-HC)
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2015/08/PSG2014_2H_FINAL-1.pdf

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Hold on a moment and let me get this right. So when MSI/Asus had slightly different BIOS in review 1080 cards there was a huge outrage from online communities, but when AMD does have different BIOS from retail cards no one says a thing? :3eyes:

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    ?

1.) the outrage about the case you mention was directed against asus/msi trying to improve their benchmark placings in the first reviews the aib cards.

2.) there is nothing to rage against when a company gives you (in case you take the risk of biosmodding/-flashing) a free +4GB VRAM
    or how do you imagine an outrage to look like in that case??!?!
    being curious!

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Maybe he understood it backwards (promised 8gb but giving 4gb)? :D Or else we may have witnessed the worst logic, sense of equivalence ever posted on the internet.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    In Europe they sold 26.000+ RX 480 4/8GB GPUs already !
    LOL That's amazing IMO.

Hmm Hot Cakes? :mhp:

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    If I even gotten that 8GB card by mistake, I would had returned it and demand my 4GB card! :D

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your last five posts have been you attacking Nvidia or nvidia users just because. No reason. Just like your attack on me over my avatar which isn't what you think it is. Look close at it and see if you can figure it out.

That's good. Is this shipped or sold and do they include OEM?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    In other words, nothing on your original link with Alibaba with pricing. I already looked up that P/N and several others with the results of... Your search "K4G80325FB-HC" did not match any products.
    But of course you know that so???

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah with the over current issues before and now AMD accidentally selling cards with a disabled 4Gb which could effect sales of the 8Gb model. The 970 had only a minor issue with the memory and the way Nvidia did the memory with that card but that really effect sales too much. AMD is really batting a thousand right now.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You know actually, this doesn't surprise me. When I was with Philips Semi, the mistakes that were made would alarm the average person. Sometimes you wonder how they make a profit. I remember once having to manually rework thousands of BGA devices because the tool they used to separate the copper lid from its carrier was the wrong size and left tiny slivers of copper attached to the sides of the lid. Each one was over $300 cost to the customer. It would have been a complete loss to Philips because these parts were completely assembled and tested but the customer could not board mount them because of the copper slivers.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Have I been wrong about AMD though. They **** the bed again. Over draw power from the PCI and sell 8GB cards to people with 4GB.

Look I wanted this to be a smooth launch. And honestly in the end this is still a great performing card and after AIB cards will address the power issue this will end that debacle. This looks like a rushed product with sloppy yields. Similar to the first run of Tahiti.

Okay so the 1060 will be out a week and a half after the 480. I was wrong there. But if you could not tell that was tongue and cheek.......

Edit: by the way that edit you pointed out was not removing anything it was adding the tounge and cheek prediction.

14. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    so, your logo is a green troll face with "Nvidia" written at the bottom... I guess that sums you up lol

Oh and btw, I my self am an "NVidia user".

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It is a troll face Nvidia logo yes. If you still only see it as short sighted as you are acting I can't help you.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think they just could have saved in production / earned more in sales if they sold 8GB for 8GB. But it's good for those who get one of the first batches, pretty much the same as with unlockable shaders etc. They have just left out on sales in such a scenario, which usually isn't the way to make profit.

If I may ask, with which cards did Nvidia draw too much over PCIe? I'm afraid I can't remember / haven't bothered at that time.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    1.) users just need to use OC software provided and they'll get same clocks as review BIOS.

2.) yes there is something to rage about, what is reviewed should have same identical BIOS that I get when I buy the GPU. but no one cares because it's their precious AMD that can't possibly do anything shady. another evidence is PCIE fiasco that was quickly swept under the rug and even defended by some hardcore fanboys like it's not a big deal. you are a hypocrite, either reviews are allowed to have non retail bios or they aren't. you don't get to cherry pick which GPUs can and which can not have different bios from retail products.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not that surprising since they don't even sell 4GB cards here in Finland.

19. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Brings back memories of the days you could unlock the disabled shader cores on the old AMD cards to get a nice 40% performance increase.

That being said any idea if the CUDA cores between the 1070/1080 are disabled via hardware or the bios?

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No Nvidia likes to laser cut the SMX clusters not disable in BIOS. I remember getting a 15% bump on my 6950's with a simple modded BIOS.