No SLI for GeForce GTX 1060 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2016.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    And if you buy 2 at launch they'll probably cost more combined than a single 1070 or even 1080. So why would you ever do that? When the need for more power than it delivers arises, it'll probably be outperformed by some other much better priced new contender, like RX 485 or 1060Ti... So, SLI, kind of dead, these days.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt it funny how AMD is trying to improve and encourage multi gpu systems while nvidia is doing the opposite. Giving up on 3way sli on 1070/80 and now disabling sli on 1060.

3. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    The only reason why AMD are promoting multi GPU is because they can't release a single GPU which can fight with NVIDIA's flagships. If vega was ready and was as good as 1080 I am pretty confident they would be saying "if you want performance, buy vega, not 2xRX480".

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well seeing after so many years since the introduction and people are still having problems with it , it totally makes sense :p

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD PR encourage CFX sells...

...while Raja Koduri itself say they will only work (drivers) on CFX profiles for games with low FPS in single GPU and the rest must be in hands of DX12 game devs (explicit DX12 mgpu mode).

I think Nvidia PR position is more realistic for consumers final gaming results.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ....that...thats a good point.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    More than two cards is hardly for gamers, so Nvidia just doesn't care for cheap bitcoin miners or password crackers. For serious applications you can pay a million and get a rack of professional cards.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I don't know but rumor is that the 3g card will not support it but the 6g card will.
    so no mix and match....like why would you want a 3g card in sli?
    and whats this card 196 bit bus? I thought 128 like the 960....u ever see 960 sli? barly keep up with a 980 yo.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    SLI is kind of dying out, and multi-gpu support in general is not going in the right direction, software wise. Now it seems nvidia is coming out with this situation hardware wise as well.

But yes, for 4K /1440p 144Hz+ there is no single card solution available, so it's needed. But you wouldn't SLI two lower end cards for that anyway...

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Bit coin miners and password crackers don't use SLI bridges.

MDA also doesn't require a SLI bridge.

The bottom line is this is Nvidia lowering costs on the 1060 (less complex) and preventing it from cannibalizing sales of the 1070 and 1080.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    192bit=marketing.
    All we know thats a cut from normal chip.Will see if this card will have 2.5GB or 5.5GB,like Gtx 660 2GB 192bit.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    @sammarbella i know, wasn't blaming you, sir.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's not marketing. That's why it will come in 3/6GB configurations. NVIDIA won't pull the 970 thing again. Not so soon at least. The card will have 192GB/sec bandwidth, with three 64bit controllers connected to either three 2GB chips, or 6 2GB chips.

As a whole the package sounds more underwhelming than even the 960 to me (hey, anyone remember that one? :p )

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I see, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

15. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Two 1060s would not rival one 1080 at all. I can confidently say that without any benchmarks because what's you're saying is absurd.

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    people need to understand that

encouraging multi-gpu doesn't neccessarily mean encouraging SLI or CFX.

if raja says in the latest livestream: multi-gpu will be getting more and more important.
    he doesn't mean CFX.

if nvidia removes SLI functionality for certain cards.
    it doesn't mean they say multi-gpu will get less important.

the fact that multi-gpu soon will be realized without CFX/SLI technology mainly seems to have passed by many people unnoticed.

17. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    If this was the case they would not of bothered with the 1070 / 1080 SLi ability + High bandwidth SLi bridges.

I think its more a ploy to stop people buying 2x 1060 instead of spending the money on a 1080 - depending on how much the 1060 is priced at

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, both multi gpu solutions ware not perfect (far from it) but sli is known to be somewhat better than cfx with its more frequent profile updates.

Now disabling sli completely on a mid-range cards is a very strange move from nvidia.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Or perhaps they made the lower end cards SLI compatible over the PCIe bus instead

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Explain then why 1070/1080 would not be compatible via pcie bus as well?