AMD Gives Statement on the PCI-Express Overcurrent Problems

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2016.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

it is a P7P55-LX LGA1156../ 6 years old

Edit: Clouseau^ beat me to it...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Hit me over the head with a brick, apparently on the ignore list.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am sorry but this was recipe for disaster and AMD should test this to make sure everything is right. this not the kind publicity/issue amd needs they having enough of issues

For the price those cards are nice, but not if those card kill boards cause they pulling more then 75 watts from the slots kill boards that cost just as much if not more.

4. Finisterre

Finisterre Guest

GPU:
    NV
    Prototyping, hardware testing and a platform for driver development.

Next to a Founders Edition we now have a RX480 Fumbled Edition.

5. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    I read this and just instantly respected it.

I always feel the same way generally.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm curious if this is limited to the 8GB or is the 4GB affected. Every instance of "proof" I've seen is 8GB.

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    good man

im really starting to wonder about all this.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Alright. After reading a few articles on this matter, I have realized a few things.

1. AMD intentionally tried to skirt pci-e certification and hoped no one would notice

2. Didn't test the cards or knew about the issue and decided to send the cards to reviewers anyways

3. Has incompetent engineers.

4. All of the above.

I honestly don't know which is worse. I find it funny the response they gave made it seem like they were just as surprised about it as we were. If I had my tinfoil hat, i could really have some fun.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I agree. I think it was a high resistance on the 24 pin plug to socket interface that was the issue.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Good Question I was wondering about that myself. Also it might be possible that 8GB versions of the card might need more power to support the extra 4GB of VRAM.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It should only be a few watts difference though.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I wonder if there are any modern boards such as Z87 and above that have suffered from the save overcurrent of the PCI-E slot as the older boards from the 1st and 2nd generation Core i series cpus. Plus I wonder if there were any higher end AMD boards such as 970 and 990 that suffered from this same problem I know the one YouTuber said that he had an older FM2 board with an old AMD athlon x4 6xx series CPU and it suffered from that problem.

In reality how new of a board do you need to purchase to avoid this issue?

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Man, all this backseat electrical engineering is amazing. It's wonder you all don't all work at AMD already with all this knowledge.

Guys, AMD themselves said they've found the problem and that they will fix it. Why are some people in denial still? Man, the way some people are arguing here is like a religion, where there bible story can do no wrong:

[​IMG]

Seriously, these are complicated as hell objects, bugs and problems are bound to happen, and it does:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug
    http://wiki.osdev.org/CPU_Bugs#Intel
    https://www.techpowerup.com/222895/...edition-owners-complain-of-fan-revving-issues

**** happens, stop freaking pretending it doesn't exist; it's childish.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is also the chance it's none of the above and simply the auto-voltage regulator was more zealous than it should. It seems like it's not a global isse after all.

16. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I actually cancelled my order just to be cautious and wait on the sidelines until everything is cleared up. If the driver/firmware update does reduce performance then I'll simply order the 4gb version.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Who's pretending the issue does not exist? I have said from the beginning that one needs to wait for AMD's response. Then I stated that they addressed the issue. The hanging squad kept going. Follow the conversation all the way through. Did you miss the fact that I said the issue was a dead horse already? Did you also miss, why this conversation was still going on, what good will it do? To what avail? Only person(s) it appears that has/have an issue still...

Coming in in the middle of the conversation without following it all the way through and think one has a handle on it is a recipe for disaster every time.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Have you met vase?

19. Jak Crow

Jak Crow New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Some manufacturers, like Gigabyte, also provide a PCI-E power connector on their motherboards to provide additional power for demanding graphics cards, so I don't believe this is really a new issue.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im Still thinking that this can't be fixed at the software level aka drivers but I think there could be a workaround in a form of a BIOS update. Re-tweak the Power limit so it has more voltage if it needs it. I have read other postings where some other Guru3d members flashed their cards with a BIOS that had a voltage tweak for higher overclocks and maybe this could work for the RX 480 by increasing the amount of voltage of the card.