The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I know I said I wasn't going to buy one but I went ahead and pre-ordered an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW from Amazon for £609 (which dropped to £599 but rather than price-match like they normally do I was told I had to cancel and re-order, which I did). Anyway, it has been showing as "temporarily out of stock" since 15th June when I placed the order even though I don't think they have ever had any in stock! This same card is being sold by Scan and Overclockers for £80-£100 more which really is shocking.

I am happy to wait for now but if Amazon still cannot get them by late July then I will cancel it and just wait for the Ti variant as the card would be almost two months old by then and we'll be two months closer to the next high-end card. Part of me hopes that this will happen because much as I want a GTX 1080 the truth is I really don't need it. :D

2. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    My system is rock solid stable but i have some weird things going on while not gaming, sometimes i get TDR,s when i am browsing and watch a video of YouTube or any kind, when i exit it i get like a blackscreen for 3 seconds then it says drivers had recovered.

Anyne else here got similar problems with the latest drivers and a gtx 1080 ?

Its getting more and more now while we speak, i still think its driver related, like i said i can game for hours and hours and have not such problems, never had a single crash ever with the new cards.

It could be also a dvi problem maybe ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Pre-order from NCIX. When they will have them in stock it will be ship to you.

4. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I was having the same problem with the latest HF driver (368.51). Installed the WQHL driver and everything runs fine.

5. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    If it's any consolation, my MSI also has coil whine at high fps and when it's overclocked, especially when it's overclocked.
    On the other side, without manual OC (stock OC Mode set in gaming app) the noise is almost imperceptible.

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I also had it with the latest nvidia driver not sure whats going on, like i said i dont have any problems while gaming lol.

Fix your stuff nvidia cmon.
    My hardware is fine its not defect.

7. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Got a couple of questions.

1. Could anybody tell me if this Firestrike score looks correct? Card was around 2050 on the core +- 10, and 5500 memory. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9096862

2. For some reason, my card doesn't downclock in idle. It stays at 1607mhz. Anybody know what's up? Driver bug?

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X

The score is great, everything is working great on your side ;) Nice card

9. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    1. It's the score one should expected with your system. Great score.

2. Sure? Have you checked form diferent sources? i.e. MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z. Anyway, download and run GPUShark in the link below. In the detailed view it will show you active 3D applications. Perhaps there's one preventing your GPU to downthrottle.

http://www.ozone3d.net/gpushark/

10. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I was totally wrong. Opened case and i can confirm with 100% confidence it's the PSU where the coil whine comes from. It didn't happen with my previous Gigabyte GTX680 wich draws aproximatelly the same power as MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X.

Before running to buy a new one, i want to try to fix it. I have lot's of devices in my PC, i.e. 3xSSD and 3xHDD. I also have the CPU overclocked.
    But high power consumption shouldn't be a problem for my Corsair HX750 (it has now 6 years but it's still a little gem). Look it's efficency and the real max. power it can really supply: 913W with 83,1% efficency

I will plug only the minimum components to minimize power drawn and see what happens. By the way, i would appreciate if MSI GTX 1080 users could tell wich PSU they have and confirmation it doen't whine paired with this card, even at high FPS and GPU OC.

Regards.

11. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2

1. Cheers for the confirmation. I've seen people talking about 25k graphics scores and just wanted to make sure.

2. I've only checked in MSI AB, but I'll try some other apps and GPU sark, too. It's worth noting that sometimes after a reboot, the issue is no longer present, but as soon as I enter 3D, the card only downclocks to stock 1607MHZ, rather than dropping all the way to idle clocks. I haven't been able to find a direct, repeatable cause, as sometimes off a fresh reboot, it stays at that clock, to.

GPU shark looks useful. Hopefully it's not Origin or something causing my card to boost to (non-boost) 3d clocks.

I don't have an MSI card (Inno3d Twinx) but I use a Corsair Rm750x and I get no coil whine at high FPS (300 or so), or GPU OC (mine's not super high, but 2050/5500).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will monitor nowinstock, and I also put in for product notification at B&H Photo, so let's hope theirs actually works unlike Newegg's.

As for NCIX, they are charging a large premium for U.S buyers so they aren't an option.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I bit the bullet and bought a Strix 1080, comes on Wednesday. Before my 980 I had a 690, performance between the two was relatively unchanged in games with decent SLI scaling. So it's going to feel good to finally make a leap.

My 980 was watercooled but I think I'm going to forego watercooling for this one. Might end up selling it when the Ti/Vega drops then WCing that.

Honestly it seems strange but one of the biggest reasons I want the 1080 is for 4K Netflix support. I hope Netflix pushes that update soon if they haven't already.

14. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Congrats Denial on your new card and welcome to the 1080 club ;)

15. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I'm thinking of getting one of these bad boys. Would you guys recommend it?
    Anything i should be aware of? Any advice on which model. Looking at the STRIX.

16. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    still waiting for the asus STRIX cards, been on preorder for over 3 weeks now( think they being released on some sites tomorrow in UK), I have the waterblocks just sitting here... but nothing to use them on, sad times!

here some photos of the waterblocks still waiting on the backplates they should be here next week, both versions (clear and black)

Waterblocks for Asus Strix

17. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
  18. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Well I couldn't resist...

Boosts nice out of the box also at 2025Mhz.

19. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Well... I dunno there it was and I just bought it lol but stock is veeeeery scarce here in the UK so you just have to keep checking various shops or pre order... if you're prepared to commit.

Ran 3dmark11, CPU at 4.4Ghz.

Score: 22979
    Graphics Score: 32831

All in all seems to be running really nice, quiet, and cool.

Unless you have some spare cash or really want a new toy it's defo not worth moving from a quality 980Ti but then I NEW that previously, I went in with my eyes wide open, so I'm really enjoying this card so far, even a few pleasant surprises.

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090