The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Is it an issue? thw possible drop?

And yes i can read the voltages the bottom card has less voltage, if i bump both voltages (synced) a little everything goes ok

Using the cards alone the top one is the best, has the best boost, that`s why i let the better boost one at top

2. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Can someone tell me what score I can expect for a gtx 1080 in firestrike at 1080p and also for heaven bench at 1080p.

My card is going to arrive soon and I'd like to do some quick benches before gaming to make sure it's performing as it should.

There is just too many pages to go through to try and figure it out. But if someone has their own scores for a single card they can share with me, please do.

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Thank you Sir. Appreciated. :) Personally, i'll probably wait for the 1070. £630 for a GPU is mental. Plus I'm poor.

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I got 23.038 graphics score right now in firestrike with GPU@Stock. Don't have haven installed and i'm lazy to install it now.
    What 1080 will you get?

EDIT: That score is with drivers reset to default as well, keep that in mind, having high quality filtering and high AO and supersampling and all that will carve around 1k from the graphics score.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

5. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Thanks for the response.

A Gigabyte gtx 1080 G1 Gaming. It was $50 cheaper than the founders edition, hard to say no. Should be shipping to me today.

So deault settings gets around 23k at 1080p right?

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Nice. Hope you enjoy your card :D

I tested using the normal 1080p preset , not the extreme(1440p) or ultra(4k). And the drivers settings in the nvidia control panel i left them at default. Also as i said, gpu was stock,no overclocks voltage to 0+ and power to 100%. Was boosting between 1964mhz to 2012mhz.

7. grzesiek1515

grzesiek1515 Member

GPU:
    GTX1080 SuperJetStream
    I did some OC at memory and I'm close to 24k now. Core were flowing between 2000 and 2050Mhz for this. No idea why I got 4123Mhz reported for CPU if it was still 4250Mhz. Seems right if I'd had 2100+ at GPU core those 25k would be right there
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9026874

8. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Awesome, thanks.

I was confused by what you meant by the driver settings being at default but I know what you mean now.

The only thing I ever touch in there is high quality rexture filtering which might take a few points off but not much more.

This is the card btw, it looks great

[​IMG]

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yea,lucky you managed to get one considering current shortage, how much did you pay for it btw? ( i know you said 50$ cheaper that FE but with current prices being more than they should, it doesn't say much)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This is very interesting since I always wondered why my card wont go higher than 1.093mV and typically sets around 1.081mV.
    Though I still don't understand why the card doesnt use more mV since it's specified at 1.250?

Actually that depends on the card. I noticed that JC3 crashed a lot and I couldn't understand why since even when I decreased the OC, it still crashed albeit less. I've always run my voltage slider at 100% since I thought just like you that it was the best idea. When I decreased it to 60% the crashing stopped completely. Sure, I lost 12MHz in the process but the game seems to prefer this setup. Mind you, that's the only game that has crashed so far.

I think you should get 24k GPU score at stock.

11. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Well I live in aus where we get ripped off so the cost of the founders 1080 was $1199 and I paid $1149...so not exactly comparable to U.S pricing but for a third party card I thought it was a good buy.

There is australia wide shortages too. I had to pre order one because no stores had stock and I wanted to ensure I got one right away when they come back in.

@Netherwind

Thanks

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Exactly. I remember the first FE OC tests where the reviewers yelled that "omg, we're hitting 1.25mV and we cannot go further" yet here I am with less and apparently that's how its supposed to be? Is the extra headroom saved for 1080Ti so that it will be superultrapowerful?

You mean fiddlin' with the curve? I don't quite understand how it works even after having watched Hilberts video.

The only fact I'm grasping is that the chip needs all the voltage it can get to maintain a high OC. In my case I get artifacts (which still baffles me) at high clocks but the throttling is so strange. It's pretty considerable too, about 40-50MHz almost instantly when the 3D scene is rendered. For me that indicates a shortage of power or too high temps. The latter is obviously not the case since the throttling occurs at 50-55 degrees.

Weird stuff...weird...

I tried having a conversation on the MSI forums about this but they basically blew me off :)

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nobody ever declared that Pascal is specified to work at 1.25V. 1250mV voltage wall was only mentioned in extreme overclocking reviews as stability limit that Pascal GPUs could survide under air cooling with hardware voltage mods. Anything above 1.25 results in immediate crash.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Okay I see.

Could you please explain once again what the Voltage slider does? If I understand correctly it's not like the slider for Maxwell and earlier with specific values that are added (up to the chips capability of course). If my chip cannot handle more than 1.093mV, adding 100% voltage wont make it go higher but...what?

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Please read the link I provided above in this thread and watch video referenced there. I have nothing to add to it.

16. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah my understanding is the voltage is currently limited by the BIOS to 1.09v maximum. And the hardware has a hard limit of 1.25v.

Currently we'll need to wait for BIOS modification tools for Pascal to be able to lift the 1.09v limit. I read on overclock.net someone is working on a BIOS Tweaker app for Pascal. But it might be a while as there are significant changes to the BIOS due to GPU Boost 3.0.

-------------

If the current cards are hitting ~2.0 to 2.1Ghz on 1.09v, i bet even a mild overvolt to 1.14 to 1.18v volts would get people into the 2.2 to 2.4Ghz territory. With the smaller GPU die sizes of 16nm higher voltages would likely require H2O cooling. I highly doubt you'll be able to push ~1.2v+ on air without the thing overheating. This isn't 28nm anymore the voltages will be lower compared to Maxwell if your running on air.

There is a good reason Nvidia limited it to 1.09v. I have a feeling these chips get pretty hot when you push higher voltages into them. I do wonder if cards like the EVGA Classified will have a different BIOS possibly pushing voltage beyond 1.09v??

17. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Guys how are you?

I`m having an issue here with my 1080 SLI

Sometimes, almost always when i launch a game one of the cards do not enter in 3d mode i think, the voltage stay in idle mode and the boost do not happen, i have to alt tab and change some value at Afeterburner to see the card voltage change enad the boost happen

This both images are while in gaming, you can see that one card boost the other one not, sli is active, voltage do not increase as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What can cause this? Anyone with the same issue with 1080 SLi?

Thanks

18. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Well my cards do not goes to 2d mode i don`t know why

But take a look at core speed at voltage, complete different from cards

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Does the game actually support SLI?? Some games will only put load on 1 card only and the other card will drop to idle clocks or 3D base clock.

20. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Yep, it`s happening with any game

Witcher 3, Black Ops 3.... all games with sli support