Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    I gotta see it as a failure when a 28nm product is about equally as strong yet at the same time use about the same amount of energy. 14nm is vastly smaller, so it certainly seems they did not have the time or the correct competence to make an efficient chip.

It in the graphs we see that Vega is will have a higher efficiency than Polaris, but unless it truly actually happens then AMD's 1070/1080 killer will probably be 250w. And then the 1080ti will probably come and completely demolish just about any Vega.

To me this doesn't seem like a comeback for AMD, they used to be so much better. And with all this all consumers will suffer. The Nvidia fans will not migrate over to AMD, but can instead thank AMD for lowering the prices of 970 and 980. 970 too, which is so easy to overclock, and from the sound of reviews comes with a better cooler too.

At this point I'm skeptical, and kind of wish that AMD is sold to Samsung who could invest tons more into R&D. I just hope that it won't be Microsoft, as they are almost useless when it comes some things.

Still I'll get a 480, but only because I need freesync which 280 cannot provide. And I hope I can replace the sorry excuse of a cooler on the 480 with the one I currently already have.

2. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    "I'm really in favor of the RX 480. But right now, i've another RX 480 lying around that i'm afraid to put into my pc because of the risk of drastically reducing the lifetime of other components. Please understand that this is a very frustrating issue for your customers. A 'well, it passed the tests so...' isn't a statisfing answer. "

:3eyes:

The components will of course last a lot longer than they will ever be used.
    But still, this is the kind of thing you hear in the mainstream. A lot of people will now read that the cooler is not really good and they will refrain from buying the card. A lot will go with the 970 instead.

Meh

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yep, I guess you could. A few things about the 970 though: I bet that the vram amount will start to matter sooner or later, Maxwell doesn't seem to gain anything under DX12 and the RX 480 seems to be faster than the 970 in all DX12 titles tested (correct me if I'm wrong). In DX12 it actually gets at 980 territory on average (and faster than that at times).
    I don't know if AIBs will help with overclocking, maybe a simple 8pin and a proper cooler could do a lot, I wouldn't be surprised by 1.4GHz parts. The findings from the Digital Foundry are quite interesting. It seems that if you OC, it negates some of the clock throttling and the card gains much more on average. With a 4% core OC and a 10% ram OC, they got an average 10% increase in performance, which is kinda great actually and shows that the card is probably ROP/bandwidth starved.

He says that he's afraid of the card pressing too much the PCIe bus or something? Wouldn't it "request" more power from the power connector, since the motherboard is capped at 75W?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Linus did test FS vs GSync. At very low fps (~30) G-Sync has less input lag. But once over 90fps, Freesync has lower input lag.

Basically G-Sync performs same way on all fps ranges while Freesync improves with higher fps.
    And then there is that weird behavior he detected with different V-Sync combination. But I guess that may have been BenQ unit specific issue.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Didn't they change how freesync behaves recently?

6. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    No, the PCI-E spec has no mobo side protection for drawing too much power. The fix should simply be a bios update, a 980ti averages ~ 47w from the motherboard, rx480 86w according to tom's.

86w average >_>

That should go down to 60, and 26w offloaded to 6pin for 110w + 60 = 170

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Can it be fixed with a bios update, or it depends on tracing on the PCB? :infinity:

8. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    bios update for sure, you can modify this with bios tweaker on maxwell very easily

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Aftermarket RX480s will be the ones to look for if you are into overclocking , that Asus Strix RX480 picture posted by Hilbert looks awesome. Better power delivery + better cooling = better overclocks.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have that one on my shortlist as a birthday present for my big bro :) As long as the price is right.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Awesome news for your bro :thumbup: , he will enjoy it very much. Let's Cross fingers about the price of the Asus card bro , good brother you are ( in Yodas voice :D ).

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That ASUS cooler looked awesome indeed. It felt a little indecent to me. I'm so curious about the power connector that I wanted to flip the card and check what's under there :eyebrows:

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't really care about the RGB shroud. I just want a big heatsink with decent fans sat on top of it. The reference 480 heatsink is a joke, that much was obvious from the pre-release pics.

Well, I'll see him in a couple of weeks, after 2 years. I only visit my family once every 2 years or so. But it's his 40th birthday so a new gpu will be one of the presents. He's "rocking" my old Vapor-X 7950 atm, and while it's a decent card, an AIB 480 should be great for his 22" 1080p monitor.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Exactly. Just a beastly cooler and proper power delivery. Thankfully RGB leds cost much less than what most people believe, I hope they didn't cut down on important stuff for that.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    actually, I'm not even that fussed about power delivery. Give me a 480 that can do 1300mhz and run "cool'n'quiet" and I'm good.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The current card doesn't throttle, is quiet and won't transmit any heat in the case. The chip seems to run fine at around 80C, which sounds toasty, but hey that's what most reference cards are around after prolonged gaming sessions.

17. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i'll start using the dialectical rhetoric that most people seem to accept the most here:

non-modded reference 480 will run VERY hot if you don't set a proper custom fan profile.

non-modded reference 480 will NOT run VERY hot if you set a proper custom fan profile.

thank you.

i case of problems with understanding, just come back at me.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    :boob: Bring on the RX490 already!

19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I guess it depends how long until those are available, I really want to get the new AMD in the next couple of weeks!

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    you have a 770 SLI!!! thats fast enough to wait at least one or two weeks more than whatever you planned to wait :p
    i mean 770 SLI is faster than RX480 in single. thats for sure.