Radeon RX 480 8GB reference review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    gtx 1060

2. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    According to Tom's Hardware

80w average from PCI means they do not meet pcie spec. 100w when OC.

**** me.

3. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Hmmm, likely going to sit this one out until the custom cards show up. I know its a bit too early to make and brash decisions, but at the moment its not a clear sale. Might check back in after Christmas see what the market is like then.

4. soryuuha

soryuuha Member

GPU:
    xxx 270 xxx
    $350 usd over here at MY for RX 480 8GB. friggin flipper

5. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well the price is nice but all the performance graphs were extremely disappointing. I would basically being going down in performance if I got rid of my 7990 card.

Only thing going for it is the new tech and less power than mine (which almost every card has ffs)

Would like to go NVidia but cheapest 1070 is still too much (€520)

Cheapest I see it for sale from UK site is £219 which means it would cost €264 at the current exchange rate - but I have no idea if the UK shop uses that exchange rate - very hard to tell what Sterling is doing at the moment...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidia has a chance to really tighten the screws on AMD with the 1060. As long as the price is right and have proper supplies. And no more BS FE editions.

7. blahsaysblah

blahsaysblah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    This. Not only do they exceed the PCIE bus, which is made up of multiple rails, but they also exceed 6 pin which is rated for 75W.

150W is the PCI-E limit for one 6 pin card: 75 W bus power(3.3 V × 3 A + 12 V × 5.5 A) and 75W (12 V x 6.25 A) for 6-pin.

This should have been an 8 pin card (75W+150W) and that probably would be at safe limit for OC.

Reference card is bad. Someone was afraid to tell higher ups or they made active choice to skip 8 pin as bad PR.

All the sites i've read are agreeing on around 165W for RX 480 reference card. They probably actively did that, based on safety tolerance they could get away with from motherboards.

All sites also agree on around 185-ish Watts for the monster GTX 1080.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I wonder what were you expecting actually? 1070 @ 200$? Since that is pretty much the next step from polaris. There is maybe some room for 300$ card there.

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I have heard Polaris will be 490 and 490x. Could be a 480x. The 480 has odd core/shader numbers.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They are in stock at newegg,com at $199 US dollars for the 4GB version and $239 US Dollars for the 8GB versions , awesome price !

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Make sure you order a spare mothersboard because of the PCI-E Lane Wattage it exceeds.

12. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Great review.
    In comparison to the price of competitors - GTX960 and R9 380X, this card efficiency is overwhelming.
    If we got the same improvement in the space of higher value ($300-$450),the future of the gaming will be bright :) Imagine R9 490, 40-70% faster than R9 390, for $400.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  14. nexus_711

nexus_711 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080 Twin X2
    Great review Hilbert but the card is disappointment from AMD.

15. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yes very big disappointment.
    its so loud ... i can hear my neighbors pcs now.
    also 160W instead of 150W ... that power bill of mine is going up into the millions.
    and the performance... lets not even start talking about it. it's slower than a 1070!!!
    and the price... i mean... please... 200$ ... do you know how many gaming SLI bridges i can buy from that???! almost 7 !!

i feel with you brother, you are not the only one who is STRONGLY disappointed.
    i am actually close to suing AMD for the pain they caused me with the results of this release. who will join this class action lawsuit?

16. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    Friend of mine is really disapointed with this card. AMD talking it up like its a 980 or above for 200... If the 1060 for about 250, can out perform a 980. Nvidia has it made!

17. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    It's okay. It's now another day after release and 1080 prices have gone up yet again. Now the ASUS 1080 Strix is joining the MSI @ the $1000 CDN mark! Rejoice! I can go 3-way RX480 4GB for that price AND still buy SLI bridges as tokens of my dead enemies.

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    hehehe... :)
    i mean how else does someone deal with this... i just can't anymore...

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Are you trolling me :3eyes:

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    For a mainstream card this performs quite well. People have a difficult time remembering that. Having a mainstream card perform at High end levels from a generation or two ago is on par.

Power draw, what was one expecting, it is a laptop chip. To get the performance out of it, they had to remove the power envelope restrictions. Hence why it runs hot; not surprising there with a reference cooler. Those reference coolers have always been known to be loud leaf blowers. AIB offerings is the way to go.

Once again, remove the clouding of the argument by looking at this card from the vantage point of anything other than a mainstream card. Kudos to AMD for introducing a new architecture in the mainstream sector; from the start, usually the domain of rebranded high-end cards from the last generation or two. This card performs fantastically from that perspective. AMD has always stated publically that Polaris was to be a mainstream offering. The whole high-end performance for mainstream prices is all marketing spin. High-end performance from last generation yes. Current high-end is Vega.

Thanks for the great review HH.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016