Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I think the situation could improve with more customized vrm variant (some aren't released yet), but surely not by so much

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tho that certain 970 zotac amp is pretty much a stock 980 (well the extreme core is, omega falls little bit short). According to g3d benchmarks so 480 is not that far from a 980.

And it costs 387€ at least here. Tho cheapest 970 is 279€. But it is what it is 970 to 980 performance or 390 to 390x performance. Something AMD advertised themselves didn't they :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    AMD claim it matches a $500 gpu in vr, but yes performs as expected, but not as most people expected

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    They said two of them cost tad less then 500$ and match a 1080 didn't they which is true but also false.

5. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Its the 'yes but sometimes no' school of marketing :p

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    They tried in the Polish review but OC's were a disaster. Since this is an official reviewer I assume the are using AMD's official drivers.

http://vi deocardz.com/61512/first-radeon-rx-480-gaming-benchmarks-hit-the-web

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  8. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I think the first...
    The majority of the leak spoke about a 1500 clock with a slight overvolting. But surely the stock cooler it's not great for OC

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes, over-volt is needed to get over 5%. Artefacts are strange: without over-volt it should produce just a driver recovery. That cooler is also underpowered.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    reading that NDA lift is 29th 9am ET

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    :eek:
    a real shocker!

:)D)

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neither OpenGL nor Vulkan are open source. OpenGL and Vulkan have open specifications, but implementations are usually under copyright.
    DirectX specification are shared across all Microsoft hardware partners.

OpenCL is not meant for gaming.

Note also that NVIDIA too opened some Gameworks middleware (free registration is needed to access sources on github).

13. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    I guess you could use opencl to accelerate more complex ai algorithms though, which is honestly the most interesting thing they could do. I'm sick of just graphical improvements, games have stagnated. Where is the flair?

I like to imagine one day we will have survival style games with actually simulated ecosystems you can interact with on several scales, that too is complex ai, relative to today. Ai that is reactive, I'm imagining combining many many variables, some influenced by the player, some by the map that is generated, resource distribution, I forget what they're called... The prey/predator/herbivore chains or structures whatever...

How would it feel to have meaningful effect on a game for once? In my games this race goes extinct, in yours they evolve and develop some kind of societal structure and rule a part of the map. Come on. Who cares about ray tracing, let's make something fresh and exciting

Basically a better, more interesting, and more reactive don't starve

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Let's hope so ... sounds like you might have golden sample based on review sites having problems oc'ing ...

I know at Pcgameshardware.de they could not achieve a 1400Mhz, so maybe you have a golden sample.

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/news-kommentare-zu-grafikkarten/442202-radeon-rx-480-neu-im-testlabor-test-am-29-juni-57.html#post8297454

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not golden at all, the guy is reviewing the card did not reach extravagant frequencies (I am not sure if he will able to public everything for tomorrow). But artefacts should never happen for just some small core over-clock. The correct behaviour is driver recovery if the settings are unstable. If a sample produces artefacts instead of a driver reset/recovery then that sample may have something wrong.
    1400 MHz is a high goal for the reference model imo. I am not sure at all if the reference PCB with just one PCI-E connector and that small heatsink is able to catch 1400MHz without issues.
    Anyway what will be curious to see, how will over-clock impact on final performance. A relative small frequencies difference may impact more then a discrete-high overclock or vice-versa. I do not have all data (though I have a clear idea how the cards behaves and its potentials) , I will see all the result tomorrows as all of you.

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It will be good to see data from all review sites. Collectively it will give complete story. :)

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    LOL they are Trolling :eek:

Now im waiting for Hillbert review :)
    But im not interested in Blower Edition -> so we need to wait for some:
    TOXIC, Lightning etc,

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i doubt sapphire will make a toxic at this price point. way to expensive.

the 280x toxic was $350.

nitro at best.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I want to see two power connectors and how it manages that. Waiting for custom anyway.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Well, I believe he was a bit ironic. In a more serious note, it's a bit of a suicide to get older generation cards now in this price tier.