Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even that has to compete with the 470, which is again a laughable comparison. That's beyond the point though, everyone knows that these cards are up against the 1060, which again due to how NVIDIA cores work, would be a bad decision for any kind of investment. The best case scenario for a 1060 would be 1500 shader cores at around 1.3GHz. That card would be eaten alive by big Polaris in any relatively modern game. For the midrange AMD has always been better, since the days of the 5850, I can't really remember any GeForce card to really recommend. For the upper range things obviously change.

I still remember people less than six months ago trying to argue that the 2GB GTX 960 was a sound choice vs the 4GB 285 (they were around the same price).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    pls delete.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I used to own a GTX460, that was a cheap and great performing mid range card.
    It was also small, cool and quiet.

I love how people are so confident at predicting the future, of future hardware.

4. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    AMD isn't 'better at' DX12. Their cards underperform in Dx11.

5. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Gtx 460 and 660/ti where great price/performance cards.
    In general nvidia cards mantain a bit more higher price than Amd but not so much. 960 vs 380 was surely a failture, but the gap it's reduced if OCed.
    If the 1060 it's not enough for the rx480, there will be surely a 1060ti to fill the gap. But surely AMD will dominate that range in the meantime :p

6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Interesting what you expect of others and not of yourself.

Why do you think I have to correct your mistakes in logic? You better do that yourself. You come up with 1070/1080 vs 480 in first place. So you should be intelligent enough to come up with a solution to your falsely derived conclusion as well.

Furthermore I didn't insult anyone. You called me a "dick". So what exactly is your benefit in lying again...

Cool if that makes you happy then I'm all for it, now move along... *talks about fabricating... fabricates that I compared 1080/1070 with 480*

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You talked about US pricing. Here's a 960 MSI Gaming for £139.99 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-pci-express-graphics-card-red-gx-277-ms.html

Seeing as the 480 will cost over £200 (8gb most likely around £250, according to Gibbo from OcUK), it's not even similar. Not sure why you think that 960 is Nvidia's offering in the 480 price bracket. You can buy 970 cheaper than £250, if you want to talk about UK prices.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can buy an MSI OC'd 970 for £209 That being said, the RX480 is the better buy at that price range.

The entire conversation completely ignores how many Nvidia are selling though, which no one really knows except Nvidia obviously. Multiple people here keep saying that AMD has had the better purchase in the midrange segment for a while, which I agree with, but that obviously hasn't stopped Nvidia from outselling them in that same price range, as evident of their marketshare.

9. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Sorry if this has been asked . What kind of prices and performance are with these cards ? Should I consider getting one and letting my MSI gaming 970 ME go ? Also is there an official release date ? Thanks .

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Since their price is according to their DX11 performance, they are indeed better at DX12.

The 460 wasn't the obvious better choice vs the 5850. It is now, if NVIDIA follows through with their DX12/Vulkan promise. The 7870 was always a better card than the 660Ti, and the more time passes the better it proves to be. In newer titles it approaches GTX 770 performance. None of those were as obvious amazing purchases as the 8800GT or the 4870.

There is no way that a card with more than 800 shaders less (no matter how much "better" they might be), will be able to touch the RX480, unless it comes overclocked to the brim. I somehow can't see it happening.

NVIDIA are in a bit of a weird position here. If the 1060 is too fast, it will canibalize 1070 sales. If it's not fast enough, it has no reason to exist.

11. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    I don't understand. AMD is no 'better' at DX12 than NV is, or Intel for that matter. Their cards perform better, relative to DX11, because their cards were bottle-necked in DX11.

Interesting :p So the 1080 with a full 1536 shaders fewer than the Fury X ISN'T faster than it ?

We will probably see the 1060 @ 2GHz very commonly.

Let's say the 480 has 50% more shaders than the 1060. At 1900MHz the 1060 will be clocked 50% faster. As far as flops go, that's a match

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The 4870 was the last AMD card i owned, it was hot, noisy and replaced by the 260 which I much preferred.

The 1060 just needs to be fast and cheap enough to compete with the RX480, it could even be abit more expensive and it would make little difference.

The 1070 isn't competition for either cards.

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
  14. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    I had a GTX 260, it was not loud, it was not too hot, and it's still alive today, but Evergreen totally kicked it's ass. Now I don't remember which came out first (I got the 260 pretty soon after launch) but the 4850 was a better performer in most games as far as I remember, I'm not sure how drivers changed over it's lifespan though, maybe 260 was better at launch?

Then NV released 275 which was much better value, or was it 270 ?

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My comments were about the market, not the actual hardware. AMD prices their cards according to their relative DX11 performance. In comparison to that, their relative DX12 performance is higher, so you get "more" than what you paid under DX11.

Fiji has almost 800MHz lower clocks than the 1080, and a large problem in being "fed". Polaris is newer and apparently more efficient, it runs at higher frequencies and I honestly can't see an NVIDIA card running at similar frequencies with a shader deficit of 40%, being faster. Unless you believe that NVIDIA will actually release a 1500 shader 1060(ti) running at 1.5GHz default clock at $229.

Again, it is a market issue. If the 1060 is clearly faster than Polaris 10, then it canibalizes the 1070. If it's as fast as Polaris 10 under DX11, it will be slower under DX12. If it's just slower than Polaris 10, then why bother with it?

16. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall

It doesn't have to be faster, it just needs to match it and be priced in same range, that's it.

What I find strange is that traditionally lower end cards provide way more perf/$ than higher end, yet the P10 is not boasting a big value advantage over the 1070, not by a long shot. We are talking 10% higher value in the best case scenario

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, certain feature have impact on the driver and the GPU behaviours. Resource heap tier is one of them: MSDN tell it just state what resources can stay together in the same tier, however it affects also affect some internal optimization. I am not sure if I am allowed to speak about this, anyway it's about technical stuffs and some of them could be under NDA. So I will not delivers particular details, but I will say that (Resource Heap) tier1 GPUs (all current NV hardware) are a little more tied to the driver while tier2 are not (Intel and AMD hardware).

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

did you sign an NDA, alessio? if you're unsure what's in it you can always read the contract.
    else: share your knowledge with us :nerd:

Code:
    D3D12_RESOURCE_HEAP_TIER_1
    Indicates that heaps can only support resources from a single
    resource category. For the list of resource categories, see
    Remarks. In tier 1, these resource categories are mutually
    exclusive and cannot be used with the same heap. The resource
    category must be declared when creating a heap, using the
    correct D3D12_HEAP_FLAGS enumeration constant. Applications
    cannot create heaps with flags that allow all three categories.

D3D12_RESOURCE_HEAP_TIER_2
    Indicates that heaps can support resources from all three
    categories. For the list of resource categories, see Remarks. In
    tier 2, these resource categories can be mixed within the same
    heap. Applications may create heaps with flags that allow all
    three categories; but are not required to do so. Applications may
    be written to support tier 1 and seamlessly run on tier 2.

19. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    If you do find you can talk about it I'd like to know more

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I did AS5 on my reference 4870 and it always was around 73c load and was super quiet on default fan.

I loved that card

I preferred it to the gtx 260 because nvidias HDMI scaling with TVs back in 2008-2010 era was total garbage.