Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    of course my friend. don't know why you deny such a simple causation.

a card that supports dx12 is more future proof than a card that doesn't.

for example amd terascale 2 arch vs amd GCN 1.0

one is more future proof than the other.

also a card that supports VR vs one that isnt is more future proof.

so many attributes of a card to measure if it is more future proof than another... API being one of them ... undeniable. yet you deny. funny.

2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

now compare statements and try again. :puke2:

3. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    You also want to have a future proof card mate. Buying a 970 or even 980 now is not wise. I can promise you that the 480 will have a much longer shelf life.

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    no no no, you dont understand him. :nerd:
    he says "there exists no property like being 'future proof' in video cards"

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean you guys are arguing Nvidia vs AMD. Nvidia's newest cards are Pascal and you're posing the question of why would chose one that's worse in DX12, which directly implies that Nvidia is worse in DX12.

Like what else could your statement possibly refer too?

And even if does refer to something else, I think it's pretty easy to understand how I was able to gather what you were talking about from the context, so I'm not sure why you're pretending that your statement was straight forward.

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Lol. What a daft statement.
    480 is more future proof than the 970/980.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Claiming that DX12/Vulkan support is irrelevant because most games are DX11 (now), means nothing. I don't frequently agree with vase, but he's right on this one. If a GPU is much faster with the new APIs, they should be the deciding factor. All the AAA games and engines either are or are going to be DX12. It's really the only thing that should matter, unless there is any kind of catastrophic regression under DX11, which for Polaris it actually seems to be the opposite, with the rumored better efficiency and tessellation support.

Did anyone really gave a sh*t about DX9 when the 6000 series and Fermi were out? Sure, it was a factor, but unless you plan to get rid of the card in 6 months or it has a problem, DX11 performance should be a secondary for hardware purchased at this point.

And for once everything seems to be moving to Vulkan/DX12, much faster than the DX9-DX11 transition ever happened. All the major engines (the Ubisoft engines, Unity, Unreal, Frostbite, idtech, CryEngine) are already supporting lower level APIs. Even smaller engines like the Nitrous engine, or emulators like Dolphin already support it. There is no going back. Is there any announced AAA game that WILL NOT be DX12/Vulkan? There is even a rumor that Vulkan ports are coming for the Blizzard engines (WoW, Overwatch and SC2/Heroes).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I tend to compare cards in the same price segment.
    Or in the same single card performance range.

That's not the case for both categories with the pair you chose to put into my mouth.
    So make another guess which cards i could be refering to.
    Maybe I don't refer to one specific card after all?
    Maybe it is a generic statement about recent AMD cards tending to perform generally better in DX12 then their respective counterparts.
    Maybe?
    Time for guessing has started. Poll closes 11:59pm EST

9. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    1XXX series is based on outdated architecture. It's tweaked, but it's Maxwell. Which BTW performs really good in OpenGL and DX11.
    Just farming money, but those cards are beasts, so it's not excluded that I'll get one 1070 even if it's 16nm, not 14nm like 480X

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Or maybe you can just not be a dick and state specifically what cards you're referring to.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 16nm/14nm divide is really semantics. The ball is still out on whether TSMC or GloFo have the better process there.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The cards you can get for $199-$229 would be a good guess. Which is none. Or the cards that perform similarly under DX11, which would more or less be the 290/290x/390/390x/970/980. I believe that the 8GB Polaris cards are a better purchase than any of these at this point, and they cost at least something like 50% less.

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Which cards do you want me to specify if I don't specifically refer to any?
    I still don't understand.

You were the one laying 1070/1080 into my mouth, and NOW you come up and ask me to specify cards. Are you even listening to yourself?

And why are you insulting me?

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I play the newest and latest AAA releases, all of them bar the 1% (less actually) support DX11.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well said. Did you even check nvidia offerings at that price range? You can get a 960 2-4GB ver. Its laughable.

To think if it someone above said that Polaris is dissapointing. Jeez...

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    oh, sure. But how long you want to keep a card like 480 before it returns unplayable framerates? We already know that it can't even keep 60fps in TW3 at 1080. That's not even maxed.

A year from now it'll be obsolete.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If you really think $154 = $199/$229, sure... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487153

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because you could have quoted my original post and said "I was talking about 480 vs 970" and that would have been it. Instead you dragged it on with a bunch of insulting nonsense. Couple that with your post about Nvidia dropping Fermi DX12 support because of some story you fabricated out of thin air and now I don't like you, well I never liked you, but now I dislike you even more.

As far as RX 480 vs a 970, if someone were shopping between those two, I would think it's obvious that the 480 is the correct choice. But I disagree with the notion that Nvidia is somehow behind in DX12 support. A RX480 vs a 1060 wouldn't be an obvious lean to the RX480 if the pricing was similar.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Video has a lot of stutter even in earlier parts. There are two types of stutter.

1st which is noticeable at all times comes from engine itself as it bumps camera a bit at high rate. (probably stupidly programmed distance from character and character coat moving as player rides bike)

2nd is that usual low fps stutter. Which is very noticeable even through bad motion blur implementation. (lower fps has more blur)

And yes, you can show 10% higher fps value that you actually render at. You can even do software/hardware based interpolation and have double fps shown and not many will realize the difference. Only problem is that it will increase a motion lag.

It is actually incredibly easy to pull off. HW today can capture 4k video in real time easily. And that requires to find motion vectors defining changes between frames. Then you take those motion vectors, cut their length in half and generate new frames in between two original ones.
    (Performance impact is lower than recording video with lowest possible compression and then playing it back.)