Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I was able to play ROTR with an Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.5ghz in DX12 with a R9 290x on ultra @ 1080p and avg 40 fps. It DX11 it was barely playable around 30 fps and was a stutter fest.

It helped alot as well on my server rig with an X5670 @ 4ghz

2. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    So DX12!
    Well it's new architecture. Not only new Videocard for 1K$ :wanker:
    Hope AMD will promote this API and Vulkan like was in the past with DX11. Hope some devs will update their engine(where is vulkan for DOOM?). But not updates like was that Mega Patch for Crysis 2!

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    every new AAA title since DOOM, Hitman... will feature either vulkan or dx12.
    even older titles provide dx12 patches.
    so yes, it will matter for all the cards we own right now or in the next months.

new deus ex: mankind divided, ark, watch dogs 2, battlefield 1, doom
    name me any high demanding game which is currently in the making that won't have either dx12 or vulkan.
    there are no performance hungry games being developed for dx11 only at this time no more.
    and the fact that dx12 was implemented via patch in bigger titles such as tomb raider just shows that even if a game wasnt planned to support dx12 during early dev-stages it's not big issue to add the support afterwards.

vulkan will be the main API for independent, valve involved titles & sequels to former OGL titles

dx12 will be the main API for w10 store games.

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People here are guessing DX11 vs DX12 performance, where the 480 will performs better in DX12.. Well, that's not hard to state they are right I guess. On the opposite it would be quite unrealistic to see huge improvement on the DX11 driver.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You named 5 games. Not to mention Doom. Most people already beat the game playing under DX11. Also, Vulkan of course isn't DX12. We don't know how AMD vs Nvidia peformance is there.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Doom is OpenGL mate.
    But most will have beaten the game already and wont care about Vulcan too much at all in it other then being curious about its performance.

But arent OpenGL games from now gonna be purely Vulcan anyways?

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is still time for many DX12 games to hit the market until Vega start showing up. It will be a huge deal for AMD and its higher segment of cards.

I believe this time with Vega and HBM2 can be a win for AMD all around. Until then Polaris should take some market share back.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Fox2232 -> look here (exactly when dude change res to 4K)
    In lower resolutions this occurence is less visible.
    Look into Frames with Youre Eyes first then look into FPS !

He He, the GPU driver work is interesting there:
    1. When you benching nV in WEB sites it will be way better in Average than Radeon counterparts !
    2. For my eyes -> barely hit 20FPS there, but FPS meter in AB shows us +/- 50FPS !

WTF? I watched this video cuz' im interested to play WD on my New & Shiny.
    Just another eye bubbling lie? It means to be benched for sure :bang: Where is the truth?
    Hmm tell me it is possible to trick FPS measuring programs (in Driver) to show something different than actual FPS/Scores etc. ?
    And it is possible to do some tricks in Driver to show something better than actualy is? (FPS smoother or something)

Watch Dogs GTX 1070 OC | 1080p - 1440p & 2160p Maxed Out

I think i will pass the 1070 iChill then :thumbdown

PS. I think that Tips&Tricks&Tweaks are personal choice for gamers not enforced by Drivers to Boost FPS in bechies, but it's only my opinion :rolleyes:

9. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Doom will recieve a vulkan patch, and vulkan is pretty much Mantle from AMD sooooo...

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i dont care about amd vs nvidia performance.
    you said "by the time dx12 matters"...

DX12 is all that matters right now in game dev and triple A titles.

i am telling you that every triple A title that is coming up and has sophisticated 3d graphics will feature dx12 or vulkan.
    so stating those apis still are meaningless with the cards we have now or even with 480 is the wrong conclusion.

i named 5 games. now its your turn to name me one game that is a 3D triple A title with needs for high FPS that won't feature dx12 or vulkan for sure.

and i say there is none.

you make it look like 5 triple A titles is a low amount. but there aren't really more triple A titles released during a time period of ~6 months. just name me one or two upcoming titles that declined dx12/vulkan implementation.

and even a round-based non-fps-critical game like Civ 6 has already confirmed dx12. because it's the new standard already.

you're like saying yeah directx 9.0c has no meaning so far everything in the next releases will be still directx 8.0 when the shader updates from 9.0c was something that developers were completely going crazy for.

basically dx12/vulkan is a field of joy for every sane game dev. because the moment you say "no" to innovation is mostly the moment you lose your job.
    you cant just say nah i am too lazy to learn the new instructions of DX12 so why dont we just stick with DX11... thats not how it works.
    and it's obviously not happening as we can see in the upcoming title list...

so i don't understand why you play down dx12/vulkan still.
    it was played down in the early stage... and now it is still being played down. when will people just learn to embrace and accept the facts?
    instead of coming up with poor logic like "only 5 games"... yeah thx sherlock... 5 games... now how many AAA action games are announced without dx12/vulkan support? tell me

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I care about what matters to me. Would I buy a gpu that performs 30% better in DX12 but poorly in 99% of the other games (DX11)? Or would I take a gpu that performs better in DX11, which is 99% of the games today?

I would take the card that performs best in DX11. When DX12 becomes THE api, I'll upgrade, if needed.

It's like F1. Always be on the right tyre at the time. DX11 performance is what matters to me now.

I'm playing DX12 down atm because for each DX12 / Vulkan game there's a hundreds of DX11 games. Only makes sense.

If you had the choice, purely based on performance, would you buy the FuryX that performs better in DX12 or the 980ti that outperforms it in every game? FuryX owners talk about how it performs in DX12, which is fair, but it doesn't really matter.

I'll be buying a 1080ti or Vega when they're out anyway. Oh and by the time every major release is DX12, the 480 will be obsolete.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    both of you are right.
    he is right when he says DOOM is OpenGL, which it is atm.
    it will get patched to support vulkan soon.

and he is also right that OpenGL titles will use Vulkan in the future.
    because Vulkan is the next generation of the OpenGL api with the low-level codeparts from mantle implemented (that's what you said).

it's maybe said best like this:

vulkan used mantle's codebase to bring OpenGL to the club of the low-level apis

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Upcoming and avaible now DX12 (11.3) Games:

Ashes of the Singularity
    Hitman
    Quantum Break
    Forza Motorsport 6: Apex
    Gears of War Ultimate Edition
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Caffeine
    King of Wushu

Total War: Warhammer
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    NFS 2016 (XboX 1 Only)

Heroes & Generals
    Descent: Underground
    Squad
    Survarium
    The Elder Scrolls Online
    Star Citizen
    Ark: Survival Evolved
    W.N.C: Infantry
    Watch Dogs 2
    Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition
    BF1

14. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    if you are refering to 480... where does it perform POORLY in dx11 ???

again you make it sound like a 480 will only perform good in DX12 and suck in DX11...

what are you trying here??

and... the other aspect:
    if i buy a card now, why would i chose the one that performs worse in DX12/vulkan when i know that all upcoming games are going to be DX12/vulkan?

isn't a purchase supposed to be future proof?
    -> if you buy a card right now, because your old card is too slow for recent & upcoming modern games ... then you will chose a card that performs well in DX12
    because trust me... there will be no going back to DX10 from DX11... its only one direction... and that's low-level API

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not really referring to a specific card to be honest. The best comparison would be FuryX vs 980ti. One has an advantage in DX12, the other in DX11.

Future proof in gaming hardware? No such thing.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Some of those are just poor patched on DX12 supports that don't improve anything. For the rest of the games, sure, that's nice, but I could name loads of games to each DX12 game that will run at DX11.

But by all means, bring on DX12 and Vulkan, I'm all for it and tbh most modern cards support those apis so it's not an issue.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Since when does the 1080/1070 perform worse in DX12?

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    excatly. and we all know that DX12 is the successor to DX11 and the latest triple A titles offer DX12 support, number is increasing.

so the timeline is DX11 -> DX12 not DX12 -> DX11.
    which means if i want to play the newest titles with the newest DX12 graphical features then i have the possibility to buy for example a well priced 480 at the moment.

if i think on the other hand that DX10 will come back tomorrow for all upcoming triple A titles. then maybe a GTX970 is a good buy.... i dont know
    i sometimes hear of a very special group of people who persist on using DX10 in GTA 5 because it gives them the cool cinematic blurry console feeling [/irony]

19. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    ??? please quote source thanks. :puke2:

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Huh?

Source for what? You're the one saying "why would i chose the one that performs worse in DX12/vulkan".