Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm, hard choice.
    Im considering now:
    1070 iCHill 3x 1800Mhz boost ~490€
    R9 Nano XFX ~395€
    Or wait, for something Big like VEGA but this is an Year ! lol
    I need to save some bucks for HDR OLED monitor ;-) (october/december by LG)
    =
    Now i have some time, tommorow first Tests of RX 480 will Hit the WEB !

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Wait for Vega if you are willing to give $350+. The GeForce cards are way too expensive for what they are now and Polaris is really mid range.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    PrMinisterGR - Yes maby it is good idea !

==
    In two days i will have in my house the Mighty Samsung 500GB Pro !
    I have now SSD but its for Cache 128GB SanDisk Ultra.II (yes its Fast ;-))
    But i need now SSD for System+ Big Games like BF4/H etc.

I dont wanna spend so much now -> ZEN is coming lol
    MOBO + DDR4 32GB + ZEN x8/16 it will be at least 650€ ! lol

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Performance will be fine, don't get mad people. Not sure why there is a 4GB version though..

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    YES i think so :)
    If it will deliver 390X performance i will upgrade for sure cuz' the AIBs will be a lot Faster, and will have great OC IMO.
    Besides if you wanna sell used GPU you will loose, the cheaper Upgrade the less you loose :flip2:

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Custom cooler, a little over-clock, a lot of love. Not sure how much can do that Lilliputian heasink..

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Probably to hit the $199 marketing target.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    4GB is still fine at 1080p.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would not want to run my gpu at 88C. Also, according to the Fire Strike gpu score, this is below a 970 OC score. Not impressive.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You cannot directly compare nvidia and AMD firestrike scores and judge the product by that.

Also, 1500mhz 970 is fast as stock 980. Thats where this card stand and cost 200$. If thats not impressive idk what is.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VRAM is not used only by frame-buffers... People should stop thinking about VRAM-size strictly related with screen resolution. Frame-buffers are only a part of the VRAM occupation. A 1-2-4K texture resource will occupy the same size independently of the screen resolution used.

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If there's two variants choosing 8gb doesn't hurt, but vram was always a marketing scheme to sell inferior cards. When 8gb is finally mandatory, the card will be more than obsolete.
    AMD released their top of the line card with 4gb and the lower ones with 8gb :)
    I game at 1440p and 4gb is more than enough.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Rise of the Tomb Raider certainly could use more than 4GB when maxed out. It eats all 4GB and definitely would want more. Mirror's Edge is another game that would benefit from extra VRAM and it looks like that trend will continue. 4GB isn't really enough if you want to max out every game.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If you want 4K texture the size of the frame buffer is secondary. Typical a 4K colour texture sizes (with mips) are around ~10.6 MiB and ~21.3 MiB for BC1 (DXT1) and BC3 (DXT4/DXT5) respectively... But a game does also comes with normals, speculars, displace, procedural resources, models, and many other customized type of buffers, render to texture resources etc.... All those occupy a LOT of memory. And of course finally there are the frame buffers which are more or less strictly related with the screen rendering resolution.

Just because you actually play well on 1440p with 4GB does not mean that every game will never need more then 4GB because you play at 1440p. Most people also ignore that most of games today adopt sophisticated streaming techniques to deal with the VRAM size limits. And of course it depends a lot by the game you are playing. A lot of games today use also a complex dynamic level of detail loaders that actually change the level of detail -in a certain range- regardless the option setted by the user (and this is why certain games are not good for benchmarking, or at least they are not if you cannot change this behaviour).

Finally, please also note that no-application can take the ownership of the entire VRAM pool. Unfortunately you cannot easily compute that value because it vary from hardware configuration to hardware configuration (even if both have the same GPU!). Usually on typical gaming machines when you reach 80-85 (sometimes more, sometimes less) of VRAM usage, then the OS has the complete control and the pre-emption of the rest of the pool (this mean the game/application cannot count on the remaining VRAM except for a very short time).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  15. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol, with 3.5gb ram :p

That being said, this card is pushing for mainstream segment and will be great if these can flood the market so that devs can have a nice starting base.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    He He -> Knowledge Bratan' is POWAH :grad:

Yes i can agree with You, besides 99% of the Nice looking DX11/12 Games don't use real Ultra Size Textures (used mainly for 4k resolutions)
    And for 4K we have texture sizes like: 8k/16k and even 32k (yes DOOM have 32k Texture size in Nightmare, new Wolfenstein can go up to 16k !)
    4k Texture size is rather small and don't full up 4GB GDDR5 for sure, we have AA and other things that will bump-up GDDR5 size requirements.

We have UE3/4 Tweaks that can set it in .ini TextureSize=4096 for example
    And in new Alien we can go even for 8192 !

PS.
    All you have in my Tweaks Thread :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    That was maxed reach with an obvious default fan curve.
    My reference 970 easily hits 83c on stock fan curve with stock boost @ 1.2ghz.
    75% fan speed is not that loud at all and stays @ 75c with 1.4ghz boost.

Still personally, I think the card is awesome for $200 for the 4GB reference card.

Now say the RX 480(X) was barely 970 speed for more then $250-$300, that would be very dissapointing.

18. koniu

koniu Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    It looks that reference fan on 480 need to speed up to almost 4000rpm to keep card ~75c (with full GPU load and small oc). If hope it can be quiet at that speed, but personally i doubt it. Anything ~3500 will start to be noticeable, not annoying but noticeable.

We all need to be aware that reference cards are not designed for oc, they are designed to run at stock. For oc we will have non reference cards.

19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    2 Days to see what this card is all about.

I mostly care about the new tool, its time to get rid of AB.

20. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    For OEMs where 30$ matter, and to get into that 200$ range. But I don't expect very many shops to carry the 4gb, if they do they won't for very long