Some RX 480 4GB stuff leaking out.1080Mhz Clock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I did exactly what you told me:

Cards temperature shooted up to 80+C in matter of seconds.

Super-small cooler = super-small heat capacity = heat builds up super fast, get it??

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    980ti is nearly double the price here still so yeah. Of course if someone is going to spend 500€ on a gpu get 980ti or 1070. But neither of those cost 250€. And that score is same as 1080 on stock, 980ti is strong.

Low fanspeed on a blower like cooler. Now 290/x would have hit higher temps if the stock blower was 44-50% in an instant. The 480 will produce a lot of heat from the really small die for sure no doubt about it, but if the cooler had fan running up towards 70% it would not be hitting anywhere near 87 even in crossfire. My cards were 87 and 90 on xfire, both in single never go above 75 with 50% fan curve (custom coolers in RV01 case where blower would be best).

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Actually no. Maybe you remember that 47% was maximum default speed in 290/X BIOS.

And it took quite some time for temp to build up, you could have ran some benchmarks in the meantime no problemo, because that cooler was not THAT terrible HEAT exchange wise. Vapor chamber, full cover or MEM and VRMs, quite massive etc.
    That cooler was inappropriate for 250W card, and it was acoustically horrible, but that ref. cooler was anything but dinky like this 480 one.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you looked closely it showed max number for temperature NOT fan RPM. It was likely much higher under full load. It's impossible to say what was the maximum fan speed based on that graph. We don't even know if the graph shows maximum temperature wither. We only know what is the max temperature under full load.

Also percentages are completely useless. They aren't comparable at all. 50% for GTX 1070 isn't the same speed as 50% for Polaris for example. They will not run at same RPM.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No it wasn't.
    Look closer at the current fan speed (49%) and then compare it to fan speed during max GPU load. You'll see that they are almost identical.

My point is that cards reached those temps in 20 seconds.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    temps should be ok with the cooling in my case.

plus also have the bracket for holding gpu and cooling it with more fans...........fans........:infinity::infinity:

does anybody know what time of day retailers are releasing. newegg or amazon.

wish we could preorder.....

if its midnight. I hope they have enough stock. because I work the nightshift on the 28..might sneak some time on my phone to purchase...........

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Again, it only showed max temperature (it may or may not be visible in that graph). We do not know when that was achieved. Heck, we don't even know if the fan % curve is linear (it likely is though). But it looks like they are sacrificing temperature in favour of quietness so kinda like R9 290 situation all over again.

Generally one Firestrike run shouldn't make your card instantly shoot to max temps. That has never been the case with cards that I've owned. For all we know that could be the temps after torture test or what ever. We only know the max temperature.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah i guess that's true. but if he wanted to deceive us there are easier ways to fool us.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "A stick is easily found to beat a dog."

And It surely looks like there are around more than enough people who have no problem to take any theory, rumor, fact put it into suiting context (out of context).
    And then it finishes in rabid way.

It is hot around and I can take fan speed to 20% and have fully loaded GPU reaching 60°C. Or I can have it at same 20% fan speed, and again fully loaded and keep it under 40°C.
    Context is what matters. But to some it apparently does not. It looks like only thing which matters is opportunity to bash something.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I was talking about fan speed, not temps. There's no "max" next to fan speed. Just noticed I was talking about fan speed in the first sentence, then temps in the 2nd.

Was meant to be fan speed in both.

As you see fan speed goes higher than 60% on the first pic.

Cooling will be poor on these reference cards, just look at that heatsink, it's pathetic.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You're saying that maybe the guy used Kombustor, Furmark or some other temp virus to cause temps to shoot up?
    And you're saying these programs can cause 20°C delta compared to normal gaming 100% load?
    At least that's how I am reading your riddles.

Or you're saying that even between gaming 100% workloads there can be 20°C delta?

Either way, the answer is no.

You're talking about ambient temp, what...?

12. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Considering the 3dmark scores and a CF multiplier of 1.8, seems quite legit.
    *5700 3dmark Extreme, *2800 3dMark Ultra @custom clocks are not bad results

It depends on the case, CF increase temperature a lot cause the card cannot breath so well VS a single card.
    Anyway fans speed seems fixed at 50%...and surely custom cards will be better :D

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Part of my post which you decided not to quote is pure reason for your bold text. And post in its entirety is not about temperature which is current beating stick.

Not about some guy somewhere potentially faking = or not showing ambient temperature.

It is about what people here do.

I'll use two famous quotes from PoE. What would RX-480 say if it was here and had ability to speak:
    "I walked these halls in my nightmares. My every step watched and hated as now."

"The men here should have listened to their hearts, for their minds were not their own."

14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Jesus christ man, what the **** are you saying? Why does every one one of your posts have to be so garbled and obscure, I have no idea what you're on about. Are you on drugs?

15. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Voltages seem high

[​IMG]

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That could be a good thing. Meaning they didn't get the process/leakage/power management fully under control.
    Lots of difference between samples, which would force them to ship GPUs with same common lowish freq/high voltage.
    But in turn would allow for easy OC, similar to original 7970 situation.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To be blunt. People here are band of lousy, angry, hammer armed brats. Swinging those hammers around glass shop for no other reason than enjoying hurt to anything what's not to heir liking.

You can go and read this thread again. It is nearly miracle for some to even consider alternative on anything they do not agree with.
    And someone writes something they do not agree with and you'll see another 2~4 other ignorant comments and then their circle jerk reassuring each other about being right because they go and spam that in volume.

And no, I am not on drugs. And I am pretty sure you clearly understand that I am again and again pointing out that people in this thread bashing not because there is necessarily something wrong. But because they like bashing.

Same way as you wanted to diminish what I wrote with: "Are you on drugs?"

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    fox, your use of idioms is excessive, it makes it hard to figure out what you are talking about sometimes.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    We just disagree that this gpu will be a godsend. No it's not going to be snapping on the heels of 980ti or 1070. You'll have to use two in cfx for that too happen. This is an 390/970 alternative, nothing more. Let's just agree on that.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    of course not.

i thought everyone already understood this.

its a $200 gpu. It would be unrealistic to think its going to compete with a $450 gpu.

people are still on about this?

geez...