High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio-...095252?hash=item41a4c2aa54:g:JdgAAOSwuYVWnwPR

This is brilliant value for money DAC for what it can do :)

cheers,
    RagDoll.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Out of curiosity I searched, but only could find RCA analog input to optical/coaxial digital output converters. You could use this, it apparently comes with some good recording software. Do some research on it, it sounds like something you could use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tDescription_secondary_view_div_1466672200732

If not, then it looks like you will have to invest in an external phono preamp with USB out. Music Direct has Rega Fono on sale:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-80657-rega-fono-mini-a2d-demo.aspx

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
  4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Not in my opinion...

cheers,
    RagDoll.

5. robbiesd

robbiesd Guest

GPU:
    Dell Optiplex 9010 ?

6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    got a bit bored today :p

[​IMG]Music Nirvana by Tony, on Flickr

had it for almost 2 years now? still brings a smile to my face every time i put it on and listen to music :)

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just wanted to share something I'd learnt recently, and it isn't a new toy.....sticking to my vow NOT to buy anymore cans (thought the Focus Elears is mighty tempting).

I'm usually in the habit of playing games at relatively low volume on my speakers. Recently, I have the whole place to myself so I could cut loose on those speakers. This led to to discover that I could hear a watery, crackling sound from my speakers. I was told that the power supply to my place is rather noisy. I wwas told some magnetic filters/chokes would help, so while I was at the local tech mall yesterday, I snagged a few pieces of these =
    [​IMG]

I'd then clamped them on the power cords of my Gustard H10, X12, both Rokit5, even my PSU. Seriously, I was surprised at the result, the watery crackling noise I'd heard whilst playing UT3 and Serious Sam was gone! Surprised the heck outta me, I'll be getting a Schiit Wyrd and Weiduka AC8.8 to furthjer clean up all the noise and EMI.

8. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Beautiful cans :)

9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks gridiron :D

did you ever get a chance to get your hands on a pair of the new e-series drivers in the rs-1 or ms pro? would still love to hear your thoughts in comparison to the older i-series drivers

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Bought some stuff....a Virtue One Class T amp, chose it because it's small and cute (I'm known to be superficial at times) but is pretty powerful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got a 6m length of Canare 4S8 cable (has 4 separate cores/wires inside, so I can do bi-wire....and I did. Got a bunch of screw on type banana plugs, on the right are some heat shrinks I'd gotten and the metal links from the Jamo Classic 4 speaker ports (didn't need 'em as I'm running bi-wired cables to the speakers.
    [​IMG]
    A pair of Jamo Classic 4 larger than normal bookshelf speakers....
    [​IMG]
    And though I'd sorta sworn off buying cans, I saw an ad for a used Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohms going for ~75USD (local $ converted to USD) and I couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

11. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    No I have not....I am rocking a set of semi -vintage RS1 at the moment and I think I am going to stick with them...I like them a lot.

Maybe I will try an "E" series driver some day though....but I much prefer the lighter headphone cable....these cans are pretty much as light as they get for the sound that you get out of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    So i'm thinking about replacing my JBL satellites cause i think they don't sound that good, highs sound muffled.

I found a couple of bookshelf speakers from B&W, DM303 and DM302.
    I've heard the DM302's are better.

Wich you guys would recommend? keep in mind these are used speakers but still in top condition.

EDIT: Bought Eltax Universe 5.0 speakers, 2x 3-way floorstanding, a 3 way center and 2x2-way small rear bookshelf speakers.

Haven't hooked them up yet, just the rears for now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  13. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I know this is a 'high end' thread, but those (the 250ohm version) are still my favourite headphone ever I think :)

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I agree, I have a few high end cans, yet the DT990/600 Premium (used at $125USD) and DT770/250 Pro (used at $75) are such wonderful sounding cans and jell well with all my DAC's. ;)

I wanted that slick all black look with those black Beyerdynamic pads, but surprisingly, it affected the sound quite negatively. Gone was the nice punchy yet tight bass (NOT anywhere near basshead level) while treble became quite harsh and grainy. Swapped back to the original DT770 pads and the bass became punchy yet tight while the treble, while still sparkly, is clear and not sibilant, the harshness I'd noticed with the black pads was gone too.

This sorta reminded me of the change from stock pads to the Alpha pads on my T50RP. With stock pads, it sounded a fair bit grainy with bass lacking impact, a swap to the Alpha pads made a world of difference. For my DT990/600 and DT770/250, I've ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic replacement pads for them, I'm sticking with their worn out stock pads for now till the replacement pads arrive.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Ok i'm doing it, buying a Klipsch R-12SW!

Can't find a good punchy sub, this JBL ES150P is so bad. My older 8" JBL 200/230 has so much more punch to it but not enough to my satisfaction.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Ordered two pairs of earpads from Amazon, and these took a rather long time to reach me after a failed delivery attempt on the 26th. Only received them about two hours back (it was about 9:30 pm here). I had almost given up and was gonna ask for a refund....
    [​IMG]
    Almost immediately, I got to swapping out the old pads with these badboys...gonna set aside some time during the weekend for some serious listening.
    [​IMG]

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm looking at a R112SW to replace my 10" jbl I have currently. The 10" still works good but I have a Klipsch reference premier home theater speakers so I want to match them.

18. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti

Nice!

New pads are always fun times.

19. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Nice!

I been doing some pad rolling myself. It all started with my gaming headphones the Audio-Technica ATH AD700X's. Was looking to replace the oem pads, they were getting worn. I order a pair of Thick Velour and a pair PU leather Ear Pads off of e-bay from China. Both are 110mm in Diameter to fit Audio-Technica's. Tried the PU 1st, wow so much bass, but lost all the positional air that they are know for. Ended up using the Velour, not as comfortable as oem pads when new, but after break in, they are better, and don't change the sound of the headphones that much. Also ears don't touch the driver housing like they did before. :thumbup:

So, for the fun of it, tried the PU pads on the HiFiMan He-400I (ended up buying another pair, along with an AKG K-612 Pro). Had a spare set of HifiMan velour pads, and stole the rings. Wow, the bass was overwhelming! It actually hurts after a while. The pads creates such a tight seal, that it felt like I had a toilet plunger attached to my ears when something called for heavy bass, lol.

After that experiment, I ordered a pair of Brainwavz non-angled Hybrid and angled Hybrid pads (did not order their angled leather pads, since I tried them on a friends pair of HiFiMan 400S, did not like them, made the bass loose, very hot, and lack of treble compared to the stock velour).

The angle Hybrid's turned the 400i's in to a v-shape sound. Gave more bass, and treble, but made the mids sound congested. The non-angled hybrids flatten the 400i's to my liking. Increase the bass but not boomy, as well as made the mids more forward, but retained the crisp treble. Keepers over the Focus pads. Sound stage is still the same.

Now for the AKG K612's. Had a spare ring from cheap pads I purchase. The angle pads, stole the sound stage, upped the bass to much, reduce the mids, and treble. The non-angle, were perfect. Upped the bass just a little, and maintained the mids and slightly reduce the treble. Tried both pads without the foam inner ring that is under the oem pad, but prefer the non-angled with the foam ring. A little lost in sound stage.

So, the 400i and k612 have hybrid pads on them. :banana:

20. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have ordered the ZMF Omni.

It will be about five weeks before Zach has them finished....I will report back once I receive them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.