"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. gwit

gwit Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 4G
    Yeah that's what was so bad in the beginning... all these problems seem like stuff nvidia drivers should have nothing to do with.

I thought some new windows update caused all this until I checked the date I installed new nvidia drivers and saw there was a correlation. Then later saw crashes explicitly blaming nvidia dlls. That it turns out changing things in the global profile causes it (and different things for different users) is still weird. But at least all of us have given Nvidia something to help them debug it.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Weird... I've just tweaked my Global Settings/Base Profile in the NVIDIA control panel using the v368.51 Hotfix driver... set triple buffering to On, texture filtering to High Quality, multi-display to Single... and the Windows Store's Check for Updates DOESl work!

The only other setting that I usually enabled is MFAA and, sure enough, if I set it to On in the Global Profile then it breaks the Windows Store's ability to check for updates (it wass still churning away after 5 minutes). Reset MFAA back to Off though and the Windows Store goes back to working properly.

So it does look like it is just MFAA being set to On in the Global profile that causes all these issues. To be honest, I can live without it for the time being until NVIDIA fix it. I wonder if they made changes to the MFAA code for the Pascal cards that causes issues on previous hardware?

*EDIT*
    Just got a stub error opening up GeForce Experience even though I'd set MFAA back to Off. I beginning to think that as long as the profile does not contain ANY entry for MFAA, which the default one doesn't, then I won't have any issues. However, if I set MFAA to Off then an entry is created in the profile and it remains there even if I turn it off, e.g. it changes from MFAA=1 to MFAA=0, say, rather than being a non-existent variable which means MFAA is off by default (I hope that made sense; it's hard to explain but I know what I mean! :D ).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    He can vent all he like in threads on the topic he's talking about. What he's doing however is just stalking NV employees in every place where they appear and ask them the same **** over and over again expecting what exactly?

Fermi is two times slower than Kepler and Kepler is almost unusable in DX12 titles. I think it's pretty safe to assume that there won't be any DX12 support for Fermi, end of story. If there will then ok that'll be a good surprise. But with the amount of actual issues on the current cards (like the one this thread is about) I very much prefer NV to work on these before even considering to provide DX12 support on a long outdated architecture.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I remember seeing a post from NVIDIA on their GeForce.com forums about DX12 coming to Fermi by the end of summer 2015 and it is now summer 2016 so they really should have said something by now even it is just to confirm that DX12 will not be coming to Fermi. It is a bit unprofessional IMO to keep people waiting and guessing.

That said, DX12 has so far been deeply underwhelming even on my Maxwell GTX 980 Ti card, offering no visual improvements and the same, sometimes lower performance, as DX11. That itself is a huge disappointment after running all those 3DMark API Overhead tests and seeing the massive increase in draw calls in DX12 vs. DX11.

All I can say to siriq is that you really are not missing much and the few DX12-only games that have been released so far like Forza Motorsport 6 APEX and Quantum Break would likely not run will on Fermi hardware anyway due to their lack of VRAM and dated specs. Hell, Quantum Break doesn't run that great on my GTX 980 Ti and it uses a resampled lower resolution buffer!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Why do you enable MFAA globally?
    Only some games support it, so I don't quite understand what you try to archive by having it enabled for everything.

6. Eddie Strike

Eddie Strike Guest

GPU:
    So that you don't have to keep enabling it for each and every game? That way when a game supports it will kick in, and otherwise just use normal MSAA.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Fair enough, I thought it would cause issues with MSAA using games that aren't supported properly.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It actually may as the support is a black list banning some incompatible titles. If a new possibly compatible title will appear and the list won't be updated in time there may be issues.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I can duplicate this every time. Enabling MFAA globally, causes the store update to fail. Turning it off globally, and the store updates normally. Windows 10, 368.39 driver. No reboot or anything. It works almost like a toggle in regards to the Windows store. I also now get the stub error trying to open the event viewer. Weird issue.

10. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    i guess with lower settings and 3gb vram on gtx 580 will be just fine.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sure...if you disagree completely with what he said while you're using a GPU that is completely under powered for the titles he mentioned. Point being adding DX12 would gain you essentially nothing.

12. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Made couple benches and tests with OC and this card giving the performance of gtx 950 OC . If you think gtx 950 is under powered tell nvidia to stop selling it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjqdHsJqu8
    Not to mention the compute power in octane and similar programs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Your post doesn't even make sense. The 950 at stock clock is some 30% faster using less than half the power. Your video at 720p on Fallout 4 with a GTX 580. Ever hear of a CPU bottleneck. Look at the GPU utilization on the 950, it's averaging around 80 dropping into the 70's, Whereas with the 580, it's typically over 90%. Give it a rest.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  14. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I benched here on this forum with one of the gtx 950 owner. 950 not that so fast at all.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How does a firestrike compare 580 vs 950? I remember i saw that thread once and if i recall 950 was scoring higher.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  17. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    950 got like 400 points + , that's . Booth cards had heavy OC.

18. spirit_66

spirit_66 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI DirectCU 6GB
    Driver 368.51 set MFAA to "OFF" and the damn "bad data ..." error is away. Very good finding, thanks a lot.
    Cheers
    Spirit

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    for the 2 opengl titles released per year?

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So don't touch the Global Settings but just change the texture quality filtering and triple buffering settings? Contradiction. Much. ;)

The fact is that the majority of the Global Settings DO work in this driver, it's just one setting for MFAA that doesn't. NVIDIA slipped up. I suspect these issues may be a result of MFAA having been tweaked or recoded to support the new Pascal cards and NVIDIA forgot to test it properly.