AMD Zen chipset issue To Increase Mobo Cost

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2016.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    You shouldn't listen to anything negative about Zen until after Zen ships. (Of course.) AsMedia is not AMD--it's an add-on chip made by a third party. MSI used it for awhile in some AMD motherboards for USB 3.x support--and I noticed that MSI switched to VIA for that support in more recent AMD boards. But that's because AMD's current core logic doesn't support things like USB3.x and PCIe 3.0. (Yes, it's been *that Long* since AMD has released new core logic!)

I expect that AMD's own AM4 chipset will support all of that functionality directly, and only employ third-party chips for additional USB capacity, etc. At any rate, this is an ASMedia problem, if a problem at all, having nothing to do with Zen and the AM4 core-logic chipset support.

2. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Price difference between cheapest skylake/haswell boards is 15 euros and the only difference between them is USB 3.0 and 3.1. So people already pay extra for 3.1

If this is HSA issue, they can simply allow 3.0 only to keep prices lower for these cheapest boards, and they would sell better then these pricier with 3.1 for sure because people who buys that kind of boards dont have 100+ euros fdd/ssd to make real use of it

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well the response of Asmedia seems pretty clear, but no idea if this true:
    AMD Zen chipset designs have already been finalized and will begin shipments at the end of the third quarter and start mass production in the fourth.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Even my LGA2011 Asus and my previous Gigabyte are using ASMedia USB 3.0 ( 0,96 extensible ) .. )-Asus X79-C600 Intel chispet.. Most additional USB 3.0 and 3.1 are provided by Asmedia .

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Wow. This contributes absolutely nothing to any discussion.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That doesn't even sound like a chipset issue. It sounds like ASMedia will have the USB 3.1 part and that they might (or according to them, they might not) have signaling problems that are correctable.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Actually I live in America and we don't get bent over by VAT. We have newegg selling a EVGA ACX3.0 for $619.99 and EVGA lists a lower model at $609.

This issue is likely costing manufacturers ¢20 and the are going to charge consumers $2-5.

8. KFBR392

KFBR392 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Why does this make so much sense? :massacre:

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    HSA is currently only for APUs.

10. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well from what i read in HH article it's in fact a Zen chipset design limitation issue...:

Sometimes the little details are important, not a good start for Zen.

12. Aardwolfe

Aardwolfe Guest

GPU:
    7660D
    Sh#t, now i can't afford it :'(

13. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I dont think 8Core CPU can be counted as entry level, plus who would miss fast USB 3.1 on entry level system.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You know, there are going to be APUs in very same socket. Just saying.
    And I guess that there will be low clocked, low power and cheap 8-core Zen too.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I think if (zen) is a failure which I hope it is not Amd schould just stop making traditional cpu's and stick with the Apu's -They do so much better in that arena, Intel is just way to strong at the moment and they cannot catch-up iam sorry to say.

What id like to see-Apu with 8 cpu cores and 4 gpu cores (12) core if you will with 1,000 stream prossesors with support for DDR4 priced around $150-$175 Then they will have one hell of a cruiserweight contendor for the crown.

16. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The thing is, if zen is a failure, it will be a failure for the apu first and for most. The bulldozer arch was weak to begin with and even with the steamroller and excavator updates they have been falling further and further back. So even if they give up on "traditional" cpu's, their apu will also fail.

No one is under the delusion that amd is going to beat intel as intel is actually holding back. If you look at their skylake die layout, you'll notice that merely 2/5 of the actual processor is dedicated to the cpu cores. If intel wanted to, they can make a 10 core i5 for their next gen and sell it for 250$ and still make a great profit. Though this would destroy their whole marketing strategy and even kill their server cpu's.

We don't need amd to beat intel, we need amd to bring us a cpu that's anywhere close to intel in therms of performance so to bring them back in the game.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I don't see much fuzz.. I mean look at Haswell and Z87 chipset by rls, C1 had a errata with USB, fixed by C2, but that didn't stop makers selling Z87 rev.C1 with 200€/$+ price tags.

Mine was C1 because I bought the whole set by rls, but I got a FW update later so all is good, didn't mind this issue much since had no USB3 devices back then, even now just 2 USB3.0 keys and it works fine. :nerd:

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You do? such as?

19. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    If it turns out it's an Asmedia chip problem then shouldn't Asmedia pay the price of cocking **** up

20. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Keep dreaming because if Zen is competitive, prices will be much higher than that, specially 8 cores APUs