AMD Zen chipset issue To Increase Mobo Cost

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Albeit a little really. AMD's chipsets for Zen-based processors, which AMD outsourced to ASMedia for R&D, are rumored to be seeing design issues, which will increase motherboard players' costs ...

AMD Zen chipset issue To Increase Mobo Cost

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    God damn it I keep hearing bad things about Zen and its platform.

I hope to god they release something competitive. I would simply love to build a full AMD system again (CPU, MOBO, GPU).

Would be great if the Zen CPU's come out with a minimum of 8 cores 16 threads at around 3+GHz mark to allow for us overclockers to have some fun too :p

Hopefully they have created a scalable architecture too so we see the benefits of the new architecture across the board in terms of SKU's all the way from APU to high end servers.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I take CPU+MB+RAM as composite block delivering CPU performance and features.

$2~5 increase on this entire part is not that much even for entry level parts. But they should ensure that there is no need for more overrides like this. Because $20 on entry level system will be already noticeable and people may go for alternatives. And on top of that, there will be millions of boards made...

I hope they are not dumb and make all problems requiring extra overrides go away with next iteration/revision of chipset.

4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I would assume the Northbridge functions are on the CPU die now for Zen, but it looks like a sad state when AMD outsources the Southbridge to ASMedia.

I wonder where the problem is. ASMedia blaming AMD? ASMedia screwing up and blaming AMD? AMD screwing up?

$5 in parts = $10 to $20 MSRP increase.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

5. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I really hope for Amd that zen delivers they truly deserve it.

6. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Ahhh resistance......But really 2-5$? I cant say its really worth mentioning tbh.

7. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Yes i very much agree. Personally i am very optimistic about Zen. :)

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    from 2 to 5$ mean around 10 to 15$ for consumer... as always lol

it's peanuts when you buy high end but it's +25% of the price if you are poor.

((to be short for us it's just a small bother, but for AMD it's a big issue))

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    let's see when it will be in shop...
    last time i was optimistic for AMD i bought my 1st Xeon...

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm putting cash aside to build an AMD rig in the new year, when vega is ready.

Will go Zen anyway, just to see the difference, and the 8 core /16 thread version.

Routing is always going to be a pain in the backside.
    Why do you think Intel still uses a Southbridge Chipset ?

As i understand it, Zen will have all of the chipset components on-die (NB + SB).
    So everything will have to be routed from the CPU socket area.

Effectively, their motherboards will just be sockets and slots.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Please read the article you are commenting on. The $2-5 estimate is end consumer.

12. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    This is how amd gets bad reputed without any cause. It is a common problem with long circuitry for high speed data transfers. Alot z170 so are also affected I think. But it isn't highlighted ever like this when it comes to Intel. Whatever it AMD? Well it is their fault.. Right??

Can you please give some information. Is there any proof that ES samples of xeon e5 2xxx can be with unlocked multiplier? Off topic though...

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Not too much of an issue, really. I understand they're using off-the-shelf memory controllers, too.

14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This is fine Intel has been increasing prices on cpu and chipsets a long time and everyone buys them.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    To be honest, wouldn't keep me from buying Zen if it's really as great as it's expected.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Is that $2-$5 range for the partners, or for us? If for partners, that increase in production cost can lead to a higher market price for the end user, say another $10-$20 possibly.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yes but that's partially because it's the only option we've had.

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    aside issue that might be a concern to consumer
    the $2-$5 price increase wont matter much in consumer...
    i mean if the news not posted, no one ever realize there is price increase anyway, right?

but different for motherboard maker... just think how much the cost increased by just a single issue like this
    if $2-$5 a board... now if they shipping 1million mobo, its already $2 million lost at least

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really, they will just charge more. They have numbers to hit, I can guarantee you they won't be making a loss on that.

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    wich mean in marketing "don't worry it's not expensive 10 to 15$... oups i mean 2 to 5$"... it has always been like that, why should it be different with this? (have you seen Fury or GTX 10** at the price estimated in shop (exept summer sales etc of course)?

i was verry optimistic with G34 opteron (i was very fan of opty :) ) but once tested... i gave a try with Xeon and until now i am not disapointed (on other hand there is no alternative right now, wich is bad).