"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Juts to ad I use 1080p screen and DSR 1.75,2, and 4 times.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Strange.

I've just restarted my PC, checked that Windows Store still worked and checked for updates (it did) then opened the NVIDIA control panel and changed some of the Global Profile settings and hit Apply. I again opened up the Windows Store, only now the Check for Updates is just going round and round, and not finishing.

However, Restore Defaults now works at least. If I close the Windows Store, select Restore defaults, hit Apply then exit the control panel and re-open the Windows Store then Check for Update works. (There does seem to be some sort of random bug that adds a per-game profile or two to the Global Profile section when hitting Restore Defaults though...)

Looks like I am unable to change any of my Global Profile settings. I wonder if that is what has been triggering the issue for some other people as well. I'm guessing most people probably like the Global Profile settings at their default settings? :3eyes:

*EDIT*
    Curiouser and curiouser... looks like I can enable DSR without messing up the Windows Store at least, possibly because that setting is not saved as part of the Base Profile (I exported my profile as a TXT file and checked the Base Profile entry against the default one and they have the same three values).

If I change anything else in the Global Profile that *is* saved as a UserSpecified entry in the Base Profile section then it triggers one of these issues, e.g. Windows Store's updates does not work properly and I got a stub error opening up the GeForce SLI Profile Tool to import the default profile back! :3eyes:

Not quite fixed then but I know how to workaround it for now (just don't change any Global Profile settings!).

P.S. This the error that shows in the event log when the Windows Store's Check for Updates gets stuck:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_wuauserv, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d7ba
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 10.18.13.6851, time stamp: 0x57621ddd
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000759d50
    Faulting process ID: 0x3b4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ca66aeb040e3
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvwgf2umx.dll
    Report ID: 8354faff-8fd0-4dd4-aa10-dda37e699de3
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Why are you so super sandy all the time?

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The stub error is random and fairly infrequent anyway. What happens if you open the Windows Store and check for updates manually? Does it finish after 5-10 seconds or does the cursor spin endlessly?

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Win7 Ultimate 64bit;

I had this with my Logitech G500s. I have the Logitech Gaming Software set to just 1 sensitivity and 1000hz rate, no mouse changeable sensitivity so it can't go up and down using the mouse buttons. I also have those 2 buttons disabled, but, a couple weeks back while playing CSGO it would suddenly lose my sensitivity settings and the mouse buttons for changing sense would suddenly work again. While this happened, my mouse was like stuck in mud for a couple seconds. I had to alt-tab, open Logitech Gaming Software and then it would set my mouse again, but, completely randomly it would happen again.

I didn't find a fix. I had another G500s brand new (bought 2) and I'm using it and haven't had the problem since. Old G500s lasted about 2yrs+ before I had this problem. It could possibly still be a windows problem though especially looking through that thread at reddit.

6. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

this is the info you should send to manuelG. if no nvidia coder can figure it out from that then I really don't know what would help.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea just checked that, it just spins endlessly, and while it was spinning, I tried opening event viewer from right click start, and got an error saying there was no program associated with that shortcut

[​IMG]

Put the global setting back to normal, closed the store, ended settings from task manager, opened the store again, checked for updates and it checked and stopped as it should, and event viewer opened fine again

EDIT - Event viewer opens fine the 2nd attempt anyway

Got this error in Windows Logs > Applications from that time too

wuaueng.dll (4432) SUS20ClientDataStore: The shadow header page of file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb was damaged. The primary header page (16384 bytes) was used instead.

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_wuauserv, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d7ba
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 10.18.13.6851, time stamp: 0x57621ddd
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000759d50
    Faulting process ID: 0x218
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1c93cf456bb33
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2umx.dll
    Report ID: db0a614d-6d3d-4fa3-8f48-e3406400a82e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

And a load of Service Control Manager errors in Windows Logs > System

--
    Stopped WU service, cleared softwaredistribution folder, started WU service again

Changed the global settings again, checked for updates in the store, this time it worked as it should, but I got all those service stopped working errors you got, in event viewer, but I'm not sure those services are actually stopping, theme service was one of them, and nothing happened to the UI

So it seems that something in NVCP Global settings is messing with Windows services, I'm guessing the Windows Update service stopping is why the store update keeps spinning, and why I just got a corrupted DataStore.edb error too

-------------------
    -------------------

Looks like clearing the softwaredistribution folder fixes the store update spinning

Change all your global profiles the way you want them, check for store updates, if it hangs, close the store, kill settings in task manager if it's open

Open Services > terminate WU Service > Empty C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder > Start WU service

Check if the store update works again

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Darren try to repair winstore with that windows10manager.. I linked you this once in driver thread, but idk it was like you ignored my suggestion.

About base profile;
    Well sometimes certain old profiles appear in main base profile, happened to me too with COD4 and Dirt3 once..

Since then I stopped importing base profile and skip those that were "bugged" and showed under base profile.

Im importing my profiles with nvinspector.. Think my main base base is since r356 and no issues with this stub..

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry -Tj-, I was not ignoring your suggestions intentionally. The Windows Store is working fine now with the v368.51 as long as I do not change any Global Profile settings (except for DSR oddly). I will try Extraordinary suggestion tomorrow to see if I can adjust the settings without triggering the issues again.

Thanks, by the way, to you both.

10. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    So the moral of the story is don't mess with your Global Profile[1]? Game specific profiles exist for a reason we should use them.

[1] Yes I realize that the root cause is likely a bug in the Nvidia Drivers as well but I still think it raises a good point about modifying the Global Profile.

11. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    No, it raises the grand point of Nvidia finally improving on their poopey control panel.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The global profile is there for a reason. If it wasn't meant to be modified, it wouldn't be modifiable. It's a profile you modify for default settings you like to use for all games, if possible. For those games where these settings don't work, you want to adjust game profiles.
    I sure won't go out and change every single game profile for all of my many games every single driver install just to do what the drivers have always been able to do with a simple change to the global profile.

If you change the global profile with Nvidia Inspector, the same problems arise. It has nothing to do with the control panel (it certainly could benefit from an overhaul, though), the 368.xx drivers/their profile management and their nvwgf2umx.dll file are simply broken. Hopefully Nvidia will fix them soon.

13. jthomas

jthomas New Member

GPU:
    3080ti
    I just got back in town and saw this new thread to focus on the "stub" dilemma, I had posted in a couple of the previous driver threads where you first started discussing the issues. I have the same event log symptoms, have done clean WIN10 installs, sfc is clean, 365.19 works perfect, etc etc.

On this latest fresh install (Insider build, 14367) I forgot to use DDU to block driver updates and Windows "helpfully" just installed 368.20 for me and the frequent stub messages and event log carnage started popping up again. So, I followed what you discovered about resetting the Global Profile to defaults and not changing anything thereafter. It's only been an hour or so, but I haven't seen any stub errors yet, event log is clean, and WU appears to be functioning correctly now (usually didn't for me w/ 368.xx).

I've never imported profiles or use DSR, only profile changes were Texture Filtering to HQ, enabled MFAA, Neg. LOD to 'Clamp' and Power management to Adaptive. I just experimented with re-enabling these four things and the errors immediately returned. I'll try one by one to see if I can narrow it down to one specific setting and I'll edit this post with my results in a bit.

EDIT: I've narrowed it down to MFAA on my system. The other three settings I mentioned can be enabled, no problems, tried several reboots and WU runs with varying combinations, all good. BUT, as soon as I enable MFAA on the Global Profile all the weirdness starts again. Restored defaults: everything good; tried again with just MFAA enabled and problems start. I did this 5-6 times in a row, same results each time. I haven't experimented with any other settings yet as I don't usually change anything else.

For the sake of your data gathering, hardware is to the left and my startup programs are:
    [​IMG]

(although LGS is set to not start w/ windows and IAStor is set to not load into the tray, I'll probably uninstall LGS as I don't need it running all the time)

14. The control panel is but a shortcut to the offending settings, it has absolutely nothing to do with this.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    DSR on (4x, no blurring, sorry, smoothing), Store checks out fine here. Maybe it's another setting, like MFAA? I never enable it globally.

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm. Does Pascal support MFAA? If it is indeed not supported by Pascal, perhaps they simply forgot (I sure hope they didn't do it intentionally) to add it to the driver for older cards, since this driver seems to be created mostly for the 1xxx cards, after all. It wouldn't be the first time in recent years Nvidia would nerf something for older generations of cards after moving on to the next one (the removal of Kepler optimizations upon Maxwell's release comes to mind and only sporadic re-implementations some drivers later only to be left out again, seemingly forever).

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

good stuff. that's how you troubleshoot issues :thumbup:

still puzzling why it only affects some systems. tried enabling MFAA on the global profile just now on my rig, and no issues.

18. Eddie Strike

Eddie Strike Guest

GPU:
    Made an account here just to say I have been having this stub errors too. Ever since the .22 drivers, actually.

It's been driving me crazy. Tried everything imaginable, os refreshes, etc and it always kept coming back. I was about to buy a new SSD because I thought it had become bad somehow.

Turns out it's the nvidia drivers after all. I have reverted all setting to global defaults and there's not been a single stub error yet.

What the hell are nvidia playing at lately? Jesus christ -.- Anyway I'm really glad to finally find the cause and that I'm not the only one with this.

Hope Nvidia can fix it ASAP. :)

19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I think it's become clear that it's not a particular option in the global settings but any number of them, for me it's solely DSR off, everything fine, on and the nividia drivers attempt to destroy my windows 10 installation.

The most important part is it causes the same list of problems for us.

Also got to laugh at the nivdia apologists guru harbours, every page in this thread has someone blaming Darren for the problems caused by the driver, "ITS YOUR START UP PROGRAMS! YOU DON'T LOOK AFTER YOUR PC!! ITS YOUR ANCIENT GAME PROFILES!! DON'T MESS WITH THE NIVIDA CP OPTIONS!!!

utterly pathetic.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Give them a piece of code to diagnose and they soon shut-up.