980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try gpu 1450mhz/ vram 1900mhz and cpu OC 4.7ghz (cpu score ~13400),

m sure this will pass total 9K mark :)

----------------------

I did a quick racing "oldies" games test @ default 1418mhz boost / 7220mhz (bios modded)

To be honest I was quite shocked with results. Last time I benched it was with OC'ed 1215mhz 780GTX and 4K was really giving it some difficult time..

Dirt3 @ 1080p Ultra 4xMSAA & 2160P same settings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grid2 @ 1080p Ultra 4xMSAA & 2160p same settings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also notice how HBAO gets better "finer detail" at 4K, I didn't expect that either:nerd:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Just a quick question regarding fan controller.

My card has a really unstable fan controller.. even when i set it to fixed speed in AB, it will have dips in speed every now and then. It's annoying to say the least, and i'm wondering if there is any fix for this. ?

3. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Same here, particularly at high rpm, it doesn't bother me though, we're talking ~5% fluctuation

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    interesting, I'll have to check that myself.

5. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I'll poop MSI AB logs next time i test

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    When I was researching which 980 Ti to buy I saw that this was a problem with the Zotac card. Last I heard their engineers were figuring out if they could fix it with a BIOS update so you could look into that. That fluctuation is the reason I went with the G1 over the Zotac.

7. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Will definitely be giving my CPU an OC over the weekend and see how that goes.

Not sure if I can get the core to 1450, previous attempts have shown some instability :(

8. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Unfortunately i didn't check that when i ordered this card.
    I am running the stock bios( June 2015) that came with the card, and i see there is another bios availible from september 2015 which is the final one for this card as far i can see.

This card is also supposed to stay idle when surfing and stuff so the fanst shouldnt kick in before it hits 60c or something.
    But that's not the case since the fans will spin up for 1 second and then back to idle. And it does that all the time.

I will try out the latest bios later tonight and see.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 175W
    Off topic, does your CPU bottleneck that 980 Ti?

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Depends where, it is a little for sure.. Even I can be in certain scenarios, but I already have idk over 100fps in that case so im not really bothered by it.

I think your main issue will be now low system ram.. 16GB will be better.

I was worried my card with Omega bios was "affected" too, it was actually even older bios then the one by Extreme.

Well in the end it was just monitor Refresh rate "bug", maybe driver too a little..
    Only 144Hz had "pulsating" issues, 120Hz or lower is ok in idle. At least that's what they said back then ~9months ago (overclock.net).. Been quite a few drivers since then. Also Zotac released 2-3 bios since then.

Do update to the very latest bios.

11. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Well i'm no expert but from what i see im pretty sure it does.

Here i ran Valley for a short time:
    [​IMG]

And here i ran the physics and combined test in 3DMark:
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of AB while playing GTAV.

[​IMG]

Yes, i will try the latest bios for my card, thanks for the input. Hope i don't do anything wrong in the process. :nerd:

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Same for me too, but I'm pretty sure it's just a monitoring or sensor problem.
    The rpm reading you see is based on the voltage the sensor detects so variation in voltage passing through the sensor would show as variation in fan speed.

The sensor doesn't actually "measure" the true speed of the fans but it's calculated based on the voltage.

For me fans are fixed at 75 % / 1500 rpm and AB shows peaks as high as 3000+ rpm meaning it can't be right.
    The peak reading is out of spec for the fans and they would be very loud at anything close to that speed.

13. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah but I can hear the fan, there is some fluctuation occasionally. It's not so much fluctuation as it is that it slows down then revs back up every now and then

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ ok that's different then, I can tell by listening and/or watching the fans with side panel open that they run at more or less stable speed.
    Or at least don't change speed by a detectable amount.

Btw is the fluctuation constant or does it seem to happen around a certain temperature?
    Could be the temperature hovers around a threshold value of the fan curve so the fans keep spinning up and down.

If this is the case you can try countering it by using a custom fan curve in AB and enabling hysteresis, set hysteresis value to 3 - 5 C.

This means the fans won't speed down before the GPU has cooled by at least the amount set in hysteresis from the recorded temperature at the moment (when GPU started cooling down).

15. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    It's only when I'm benchmarking at like 90% fan that I notice it. It's like it slows down to about 70% then goes back up every now and then.

When I first got my card one of the fans was actually malfunctioning, it wasn't spinning as fast as the others and when you try to spin it with your finger there was much more friction than the other two. I ended up giving it a shot of lubricant and it's much better. Maybe it's related

16. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    So I can get another 980ti ASUS or MSI brand new from my supplier for cheap about the 1070 price here in South Africa. I'm thinking of doing SLI but not really sure if it's worth it or if I should just wait for 1080ti. I do struggle in some games but I think not even 980ti will be enough to run my games 1440p 96hz max details. I hear a few bad things about sli and from past experience sli and CFX is not that good. You get many games that doesn't scale well or give you bad frametime/framerate/stutter.

17. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Ok so now i was just in contact with support from where i purchased my card and they told me to send the card back to them for testing. If they find the same problem as i described to them, i will get a full refund.

18. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Got mine up to +117/1521 @ 1.212 v 3DMark, I can go farther but temps are cool, stays below 80c, so just keeping it there. I got memory up to 8000/+498 for 3DMark but just put back to stock with 384 bus don't need it really. Hey does anyone know what the LN2 bios is set up like on the classy?

19. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Ive just done it , after all the issues i had with sli years ago i swore id never do it again but i got the chance of an exact card cheap and went for it , Ive come across a few issues , but for the most part im glad i did it (apart from the temp thing ive got an extra 15 degrees on my top card and you could heat the whole house on the heat thats getting exausted out the case :D ) Newer games like the division , tomb raider (sli doesnt work in DX12) BF4 , Witcher 3 , battlefront all have a very nice increase in fps with good scaling some games need a tweak and some older ones your better off with sli off , also im having issues with doom being 34 fps unless i turn shadows down from nightmare to ultra (which is odd because i could run it all maxed out with one card at around 60 to 80 fps) I play everything at 1440p some games like bf4 and battlefront i reckon would play well at 4k

I have not noticed any of the "micro stuttering" ive heard about but it sems some people are more prone to noticing it than others.

And it looks cool ;) https://postimg.org/image/f9tduseg7/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  20. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I am also enjoying 980ti Sli and on he most part it works great this is my 2nd Sli rig only worry for me is Sli in DX12