The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Now that you said that the ACX 3.0 SCmodel is good can you guys give me a template to start with the Overclock?

My goal is 2000 at cores and what i can get at memos, remember that i`ll use in SLI

Any advice/ start template will be thankfull

PS: Will use Afterburner 4.3 beta to OC

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I've worked in manufacturing and it just doesn't work like how you think.

For example; If they made 500,000 thinking that'll be fine for early adopters, then, suddenly get orders of 2million, then, there's no way you can full-fill all those orders. You just have to wait.

It's better than other product launches, like when people were buying PS or ipads and then selling them on for thousands because there wouldn't be stock for months.

Besides, we were told from day one that FE editions would be first, AIB's later on.

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    We were lucky enough to be sent a review sample. The kind folks at Asus loaned us their beastly looking RoG STRIX 1080, here's a quick overview/preview. We'll have a written review soon, so we'll share some thoughts with you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7Jnpce9Vs

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Indeed supply is very low and the ones that do get posted get bought very quickly in a manner of minutes.

I saw on one site, 6 FE 1070's get posted at the same time, 2 from asus and 4 from gigabyte if i remember correctly in less than 20 minutes all were gone, same happened with 3 1080 gaming G1's less than 10 minutes all three were gone.

An 1080 gaming x was posted at 1 AM, that lasted longer, almost one hour before it got bought. Same with some 1080 strixs. So yea,i'm stalking and refreshing major online shops from our country almost every 10 mins so i kinda saw what got listed. Very annoying "launch" indeed.

Almost going mad now waiting for the 1080 amp extreme from zotac. Kinda made a pre-order but we'll see when it's available.

5. Jysoul

Jysoul Guest

GPU:
    2 x ASUS R9 280X OC
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Probably because that one costs over 1000$ on pcgarage lol...

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Think I found the sweet spot for overclocking:
    +85 core +500 mem

This makes the card hover between 2012-2050 depending on the game. The Power usage is still around 70-90% and the voltage goes up and down. No artifacts though I need to test more games cause it can be hard to see.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, at least the artifacts are gone!

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Forget AC on Maxwell 2.0. Something might eventually come out, but, don't buy those cards with the pre-conception it'll happen. Buy them because they're strong in games overall NOW. As for DX12, the GTX980ti is powerful enough right now, the future? Expect all last-gen products to diminish especially if we look 18months ahead and beyond as games get more demanding.

On the other-hand, do expect Vulkan to make a little impact here and there. Don't expect it to over-take DX12 in number of games.

I expect a product like the GTX1080 to be able to just about last 2yrs with most bells and whistles on.

GTX 980ti/FuryX/GTX 1070...these candidates perhaps will start struggling after another 18 months or so with the latest demanding games.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    At least I think so :)

11. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yup, was 950 $ at the time, but still i was VERY close to buying it, glad i didn't though.

12. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Anyone?

Tks

13. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Did you change the voltage % at Afterburner with this values?

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Has anyone in the UK actually received a non-Founder's Edition GTX 1080 yet?

I see that many e-tailers (Scan, Overclockers, etc) have a supply of Founder's Edition cards, usually from Pallit or Gainward but nothing for the non-reference design. Some sites even list these as being available late July!!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's still at max (100%). I've not quite yet grasped exactly what the voltage increase does, if anything.

16. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    my card does 2088mhz with voltage on 0%. The clock really stays pegged when I play games, unless its something like bf4 or hardline, where gsync limits it to 165fps.

I have been itching to water cool it with my kraken g10 bracket, but it seems like these cards hit a wall past certain mhz. a guy on another forum said he gained only 10mhz from air to water.

I also notice my card hits power target limit on stock volts, due to high clock. so would water cooling it not make any difference?

17. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Not unless the power limit is due to the VRMs overheating and reducing current capacity :D

Technically the cooler the GPU is, the less power it requires funnily enough. So two identical GPUs, at identical voltages and clocks, on running at 20c, the other at 80c. The 20c will consume less power therefore be less likely to hit power limits. We're talking about tiny differences though. For all intents and purposes, watercooling will not help

18. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Yep. :) - well, a review sample, if that counts. We have to send it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7Jnpce9Vs

Full, written review coming soon.

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I've heard people have better luck with the voltage curve editor vs the regular voltage offset mode.

<Ctrl> + <F> keyboard shortcut brings up the Voltage Curve editor for Pascal cards.

You need to be running AB 4.3.0 Beta though:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  20. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Can you send me a picture from your Afterburner after the OC?

Just to have a base here when my cards arrive

Thanks