LG and Samsung Working on new LCD display panels

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Both LG and Samsung are to launch new display panels based on types, sizes, formats and curves. The dates provided below are the expected dates for production of the panels themselves, so there's n...

LG and Samsung Working on new LCD display panels

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Really wanting a curved 3440*1440 screen! Hopefully a GTX 1070 FE will be enough for it :)

3. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    The sooner this curved fad vanishes, the better.

I had heard Samsung were not even making them any more!

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    What's up with curved dude, thought they'd make my gaming experience more immersive!?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can live without it, but it is still nice feature to have. nVidia has FOV hack now. But it does not eliminate comfort of curved screens.

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    144 hz 1440p sounds intressting hopefully its glossy and sharp.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Add passive 3D (FPR) into mix and you'll have king of screens.

8. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    Most people I see complaining about curved monitors have never actually tried one. Don't know if this is your case.
    Anyway, if you don't like, just don't buy it. There are people, like me, who enjoy it: I have a 34" curved Dell and just love it.
    Saving for a new 34" curved IPS GSync +120Hz.

9. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    I wonder when we can expect 4k, 120/144hz panels :banana:

10. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i own samsung 65" curve tv series7 (JU7500)... and dont see much different compared to flat screen...

its more marketing gimmick and for consumer, more money to burn as its about 200~400usd price different compared to flat version

it said improve contrast... reduce reflection... give sense of depth on screen etc. etc.
    but those contrast is more to panel quality ... reflection still there especially samsung using glossy panel (non-glare-coating?)
    depth on screen well if you pointing out you might notice it, otherwise u wont notice any difference

the downside for sure, the best experience narrowed to center view ... people watching on side will see bad color accuracy

so for me personally, it just looks more stylish over anything else
    if i can pick bigger size for same price as curved version (ie. 65" flat price same to 55" curved version), i pick bigger size

11. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Still waiting for 4K 120/144hz

12. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    I would like to see 40" curved with G-Sync. I don't like the 34" screen because its physical height is much lower than on regular 27" screen which is ridiculous. It just makes the screen feel way too small.

13. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Boo, want 27" VA panel with at least 3000:1 contrast, 2560x1440, and Gsync...doesn't need to have high refresh though 120hz would be nice as it's good for both games and video/movies, dividing into 60, 30, and 24fps source material.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Probably the same time we get a video card that can run the same fps. :nerd:

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    8k4k eh??? and 14 ms gtg?? if we had GPU that coould feed 8k4k which we dont and wont for years to come I might be interested in that, then we have the the other panels with 14ms gtg?? no thank you my eyeballs cringe at 1 ms gtg.

One of these year we might get those OLED panels that arnt 3-4x the cost of LED/LCD. really want those blacker then blacks and CRT response time they been going on about for 7+ years, I have seen these OLED HD/UHD TV and they blow away LED/LCD panels, but there prices blow up your wallet.

I say in 3 years time we still want have cards that can do that 120+ atlest not cheap ones,

I seen them and have tried them, and I dont like them being curved and even if I did it would have to IPS panel or something similar that wouldnt kill the color cause of angles. And i dont like IPS cause response times are horrid. which why I still use TN, color repoduction mean nothing to me if it just muddy up by IPS panels response times causing blur

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    On modern IPS panel the response times are far from horrid. I will never ever buy TN crap, never.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to me 5ms vs 1ms GTG it is and see the difference which is what most ips are, to each his own

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    +1000
    The problem is, they made quite an amount of panels/tvs, so they have to push curved or they have to write them off.

I see limited use for gamers, when it comes to monis, but for tvs its a waste of money.
    Watch some football/soccer/tennis and have fun with curved lines (that are supposed to be straight).
    Not even talking about the "waves" u can see on the glass (from making the screen curved), since the use 3-7 sections to bend the glass, so you will never see a smooth surface on curved screens.

Plus, it still doesn't improve anything like response time/color/detail. Which is where i will spend my money on...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I like the sharpness of glossy as well but it's too much of a pain to keep clean and there will be glare even in low lighting. I couldn't stand the graininess of the matte finishes but the later ones are far less offensive. I'm using a Dell U2713H right now and the graininess is completely negligible compared to earlier models which were horrendous. It's a huge convenience, due to its surface a bit of skin oil on it won't create a viewable smudge and the anti-glare effect is nice too.

As far as monitors go I'm just waiting for something with true blacks that's not AMOLED, is 1440p, 144Hz+, with FreeSync, has a fully adjustable stand, and costs less than 2 pure souls and 40 liters of virgin blood.

In other words I'm waiting for what won't exist for a while to come. Though I'd be okay with an AMOLED display if:
    1 - They dramatically increase their lifespans.

2 - They make them with a true RGB stripe pattern rather than this Pentile Diamond BS they use on smartphones to falsely advertise resolutions.

Never forget that the resolutions advertised on AMOLED displays are lies. They have 1/3rd less subpixels, share subpixels, and who knows exactly how Samdung measure the pixels on the X & Y axis. For comparison that makes their "1080p" have the same number of subpixels as 720p. Even with their improved diamond pattern the subpixels can be seen on flat colours at "1080p" on small 5" screens like my S5.

Here's a reminder of what pentile vs a standard RGB stripe pattern (Super AMOLED Plus) looks like:
    [​IMG]

And I'm pretty sure this image was originally from Samsung's own website, way to shoot themselves in the foot. Now that AMOLED is cheaper for phone panels than IPS panels more companies are converting to them, all using pentile. I was about to order a OnePlus 3 until I found out it uses an AMOLED and therefore pentile display... that and has a crap battery in order to make it thinner while having a bulging camera. :bang:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016