Radeon RX 470 Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I wouldn't really look too much into those graphs atm. They might be accurate, but they might not. Let's wait for reviews first I say.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If we entertain the thought that the 470 is within 5% of the 970, this will be tremendous actually. But as you said, we have to wait. I hope the wait means actual availability at MSRP prices this time.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's not just about tuning though, it's about the woods used, quality of pickups, setup+intonation, feel of the neck and fretboard/frets, pick-up selector, volume/tone pots, tuners, finish on the guitar, binding, weight etc.

If you really think it's comparable then I think you don't have much expectations to begin with. Certainly, as soon as you plug a cheapo guitar vs mid-high range guitar into a tube amp you can hear the differences straight away. While a good player will make a cheap guitar sound ok/good, a good player will make a mid-high range guitar sound good/great. It's not comparable tbh, but, that's not to say they don't have a place.

I think even saying that old guitars "play the latest songs" isn't true either. Even guitars have moved onto 7 and 8+ strings. On the other-hand, I agree that guitars last a long-time...providing you have it properly setup and replace parts as and when needed. Both hobbies require continual expenditure. Guitars needs strings+care, graphics cards needs games/software.

4. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    "Test results are not average and may vary."
    Translation:
    "Test results are based on 'best case'(470/480) and 'worst case'(270x/380) results. We also use an 8-core i7 Extreme Edition with a 270x because we thought that was realistic and it was the only way we could get any respectable numbers."

Important to remember that AMD has a tradition of overestimating/overstating what they can actually achieve. I hope it's true, and we see graphics card prices suddenly drop, but I wouldn't count on anything coming from AMD.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Getting lower still for GTX970 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-279-ms.html

I think the price cuts are going to make previously unaffordable last-gen cards reasonably priced enough to be considered along-side the next-gen cards. Goes for both sides.

These Nvidia card cuts though, it could be argued that if we don't consider power-consumption, then, competitors to the RX400 series are already available. The biggest drops need to come from the GTX980. If it can go as low as £250 then it'll be brutal.

6. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Seeing a lot of 980tis between 460-550 euros now. KFA2 Hall of Fame edition at 480euros; 370 gbp, new btw

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    well if RX 370 is better than 380x i will sure buy one later...

8. krugern

krugern Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 SLI
  9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    also the comparison between a graphics card and a guitar doesn't really work as you'll find a high end guitar like a USA made Les Paul or my preferred axe a US Telecaster will actually appreciate in value if it's looked after properly this has yet to happen with any graphics card fact is as soon as you drop your cash on the latest card it's already dropped in value

and you are absolutely right about the quality of a high end guitar compared to a cheap one, my mate just went from an Epiphone LP to a Vintage USA LP and the difference is huge.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I can actually see this happen. 980 at £250 is possible.

11. Moegames

Moegames Guest

I think a lot of people will be in awe how much these suckers can overclock, Even the 480 when overclocked is in striking distance of a 1070 stock clocks...Mark it down, AMD Shock & Awe incoming! The 480 and 470 are the best bang for buck cards in over a decade!! Again...the OC headroom is simply amazing. My older brother was at the two events a few weeks ago and AMD handed out some cards to those in the industry like my older brother. Although I can't say a whole lot..I can say with 100% certainty that the 480 OC's crazy on a reference. A few others that do have a 6 + 8 pin from a AIB partner say these cards are mind blowing in terms of overclockability.

Edit: reading some comments, Some people still in denial lol. Stop it, AMD has some kick butt cards coming out, give props where its due, No need to be immature about it.

Like i been saying for weeks now...the 480 is a monster overclocker that in games is close to a 1070. Game benchmarks will show this once these results start to trickle out in the coming days. Mark it down! People kept trying to compare the 480 to a 970 which was laughable to be frank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Proof?

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    RX-480 has baseline performance of r9-390x stock.

Basically:
    2304SP(144TMU/36CU) @ 1266MHz = 5.8TFLOPs
    vs
    2816SP(176TMU/44CU) @ 1050MHz = 5.9TFLOPs
    Which is practically same texture throughput and compute potential.
    But as both have 64ROPs, RX-480 has good 20% higher Pixel Fillrate. (1266/1050 = 1.206)

That's baseline difference between two mentioned without inclusion of any changes in architecture. But changes must be huge as RX-480 is made of more transistors than r9-390x while having 18% less SP/TMUs/CU and memory controller of half the width.
    (But IMC maybe is not shrunk as much as rest of chip. And so it may actually take more space and therefore total transistor count may not be as big as I calculated. But on other hand, how small can chip to memory connection be if we take in account that Fiji has so many "pins" for HBM into interposer?)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  14. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This year seems like a very good year to upgrade coming from a GTX 570 SLi setup.

15. Moegames

Moegames Guest

Exactly...people can choose what they want but i find it stupid how people still try and spin negativity towards AMD for these Polaris cards when we should all be giving AMD praise for doing this. Not only are we getting very affordable high performance cards in a price range that covers 85% of all gamers by being under the 300 price range but also..it forces Nvidia to stop price gouging which in turn is great for all consumers no matter their brand of choice.

I'll say it again, what AMD is doing right now is going to shake up the PC GPU market in terms of price to perf....it will force Nvidia to be better at prices.

By the way, what TheDeeGee said is stupid, how is AMD "forcing" people to buy two cards? If that ain't some shystie negative spinning against AMD, i dont know what is. TheDeeGee & others like him, try harder.

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Hell you can put me down for 2 x Rx 480s if they really cost $200 a piece, Nvidia is just Milking the market at this point in time/ I dont mind switching to Amd at all. :)

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    As long as you're prepared for the lack of CFX support in quite a few games, it's not a bad shout. I personally would go with 1 fast gpu.

18. Moegames

Moegames Guest

The AIB's with 6+8 pin OC like crazy, you guys will see. I already seen what it can do. When OC, in "games" its in the 1070 area. Now think about AMD's IPC gains for GCN in DX12 games, it gets even more juicy.

19. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Where are you getting transistor counts from? I've seen nothing at all about that.

Baseline performance should be be on par with 390x, but in AotS this is not the case. Memory bw limitation?

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Power connectors have nothing to do with overclocking on a 110w TDP card.

And yeah, sure, AMD are releasing a $200 gpu that challenges $400+ gpu from Nvidia. Seems legit.

Just imagine if they fitted a 480 with 3x 8pin. Jesus, that would beat a 1080, I'm sure.

/sarcasm

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016