Radeon RX 470 Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk man, It doesn't always have to be bias.

I'm in the market for a new card and I've owned several AMD/ATi products in the past -- 9800XT, X1950XT and the 4770X2. I would gladly go with AMD again if they offered a competitive product that would be an upgrade for me, but they don't have that at the moment and Nvidia does. And it's not that I disagree with their reasoning, or don't see their strategy, but their strategy doesn't benefit me. So why can't I be disappointed about that without being bias?

It's not like cars where there are 10 different companies all building similar products. There are two and one temporarily forfeited the portion of the market that caters to me. Now I'm stuck here either buying Nvidia or waiting longer for Vega/GP102.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yes it is.

520 EUR = £411.62

OCUK also KFA2 GTX1070 for £365 = 458.11 EUR

but, if you insist that £11 is not even close, ok.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's the AMD hype train! They hyped us all up with their claims of 200FPS on 4K at 10W!

Jokes aside, I don't understand the confusion either.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hey, i know. Let's all buy KFA2 1070/1080 becouse we cannot afford any other brand.

Its silly how when it comes to pricing all of you post KFA2 cards. :D

5. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    OK. Fair enough.

On the other-hand, would you agree £411 is close to £400 or not?

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is very common brand. Look around, nearly every 2nd person buys them.
    Ups, no? Sorry.

But to add into thread. I just found a moment and calculated (approximate) RX-480 size + transistor count from available pictures as some are pretty detailed.

GPU is sized: 14.6 x 18.7mm = 273mm^2
    That brings around 6.7B transistors. It is not as small As I expected. And not much smaller than GTX 1070/1080.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think Zero misunderstood. We dont really take prices in GBR but Eur. So whats happening in UK and how much it cost im not familiar.

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    What's you preliminary verdict then? Is that good or bad?

9. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Let me re-word it for you.

Is 505 EUR close to 520 EUR or not?

And yes, I do think he missed the £ symbol in my original post.

10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    What happens on the UE is that not all prices are acordingly translated from one currency (dolar or pound) to €€.

What in UK is 400 pounds, on UE goes over 550€ if not higher, when it should be 511€.

Why, i dont know, but thats what happens XD

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    BTW, this is the problem with the mentality going on regarding pricing.

Everyone wants the cheapest, but, best card for the money.

I myself find such products questionable, well, I and I'm sure others do when they're so cheap compared to the competition that we automatically think there's some severe corner-cutting on components quality.

However, those same people will champion low-cost products like RX 480 without even knowing anything about the quality and just assume it's "comparable".

I firmly believe we get what we pay for, even with the current price gouging going on. There is no magic long-life product that's cheap, but, that's just my opinion.

Even going AMD route, I would much rather trust their higher-priced products than cheaper ones.

12. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Basically, we're getting taxed to death. It works both ways, some stuff is cheaper in EUR than £.

And price gouging is happening before my eyes. OCUK MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X has been price-hiked by another £10~. I bought mine (not shipped yet) at £419, today it's £429.95.

13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    You were lucky then xDD

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    TL;DR: It is not as good as it could have been. But looks can deceive.

1st thing is transistor investment. It is nearly as big as GTX 1080. And since GTX1070 has ~25% cut off, RX-480 practically is bigger GPU than that.
    Yes, GTX benefits from much higher clock. And we do not know how RX overclocks. But this nearly looks like AMD had to score pretty good deal with GloFo to have such low price. Or damn low defect rate is in play.

Then again... transistors. It looks like it has more transistors than r9-290x, but less SP/TMUs. Where did those transistors go since even memory controller is bit smaller? How much more complex and better are actually those parts where transistors went to? I think there may be some hidden surprise(s).

And I wonder about OC potential, because GloFo officially promises clocks up to 2.4GHz. GPUs are different, but nVidia got 16nm ticking pretty high.
    And if we look at Base vs OC and gains... Move from 1266 to 1500 is 18% boost.
    Everyone remembers Fiji "OC's dream"? Maybe this time around they actually left more than 7% room for OC since it is not 300W GPU to begin with? AIB's with better power delivery?

With clocks in mind, some of those slides floating around stated that driver used was 16.1, so I am not even sure if it properly boosted or if Power Management did not do some bad stuff.

As result of above I still think we need to have proper test done by HH or anyone else who actually is able to measure card's performance in different scenarios.
    And if it truly has more transistors than r9-290x. We should expect that drivers may have to catch up a bit even if it looks like they had at least 8 months to tune drivers.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Does that imply that you believe low end nVidia cards are trash? Actually defect rate on High end cards is quite higher than on entry level cards.
    GTX 750Ti is card with one of lowest defect rate there is.

16. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Don't think for a moment I'm fully cool with the situation, I'm not. I think it sucks ass that we're getting rinsed for every penny we've got.

On the other-hand, older Maxwell 2.0 products are coming down in price very fast. £110 drop on GTX 980ti in the last 2 days alone.

That's good for consumers. The pascal situation I have to swallow as an early-user.

I fully expect similar price-gouging when RX 480 hits...if it's a hit. Perhaps they will push £260-280? I can see it happening just cause it's the new thing.

17. BrimStone101

BrimStone101 Guest

GPU:
    16 gig
    You must think the dollar is worth more than the pound.
    from my calculations $400 is £282.43 plus VAT is £338 Not £478
    And at worst its $460 that's £326 plus VAT is £391

So you think the dollar is more valuable than the pound ?

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    My belief is as a gamer that these companies should strive to provide products that are able to give at least a 60fps "PC experience" to the masses at lowest cost possible without making a short-life product. Yes, I know not everyone can afford those products. I do hope RX 480 is a success as it's a great step towards that goal.

Do I think low-end is trash in general? Yes, just like I think cheap power-supplies and guitars are trash. Do I think those products shouldn't exist? No, but, I also believe in "buy cheap, buy twice".

As for higher-end cards failing more, well, there is probably some merit to this in part due to complexity, but, I also think high-end users also expect too much from their hardware and in part they shorten the life of the cards themselves willingly.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think we've already come to the conclusion that currency conversion doesn't translate to actual retail prices.

Also, my numbers have nothing to do with $. Fully to do with £.

This is with the assumption that 1x RX 480 (8GB) will cost £239, so 2x = £478.

Also, from early pricing, we will see some places charging up to £263 per 8GB card like here http://www.xposhop.co.uk/product/details/sapphire/audio-video-multimedia/21260-00-20g/28593626

For Crossfire RX 480 8GB at that price it would then be £526.68. Just about touching cheapest GTX 1080 territory. YMMV.

edit: Just to explain the vat situation in my country. Vat is NOT a one-time tax like it should be. I actually run a business so I can tell you that on goods vat can be paid multiple times. For example, a warehouse will pay vat on their goods, a shop keeper will then pay vat (again) when buying from that warehouse, the shop keeper will then charge customers vat when they buy from the shop keeper. That's a lay-mans example of how it (can) works.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  20. BrimStone101

BrimStone101 Guest

GPU:
    16 gig
    Im no expert but i can compare hardware between countries and currencies to get a rough idea how much these cards will cost in the UK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think your maths is broken and then some.
    I think i will be paying around 170 to 180 pounds for a 200 dollar graphics card.
    You cant argue with these screen shots so pls give up this quest it dont work

and thx for this link.
    http://www.xposhop.co.uk/product/details/sapphire/audio-video-multimedia/21260-00-20g/28593626

We know the cards selling between 200 and 300 this just confirms the 3rd party cards are being made.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016