Xbox Scorpio powered by 14 nm Polaris + Zen SoC for 4K gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    From TweakTown source linked in guru3d article:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52577/xbox-scorpio-powered-14-nm-polaris-zen-soc-4k-gaming/index.html

Current Xbox one is only able to sustain (and not always) 900p/30 fps 4 times this power is not enough to reach 4K/30.

It will need to be AT LEAST 5 or 6 times more powerful to reack 4K/30 fps.

More MS statements on the Scorpio power:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-announces-project-scorpio-console/1100-6440786/

60 FPS? Sure...in 1080.

"no-compromise": Tetris 4K 60 will be easy, other games will need heavy graphic downgrade.

4K gaming, easy to say...AGAIN.

MS PR BS about Xbox One on their words, by their PR (May 23, 2013):

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4359450/xbox-one-will-support-4k-output-resolution-and-3d

If we think Ubi$hit PR is pure BS with their downgrades look again at MS ones. :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Back compat with everything from the XB1 has sold me on the Scorpio already, it is a feature i am now taking for granted with my xbox 360 stuff popping up on my xb1 that this is very good news for me.

4. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Microsoft said the original XB1 would be 1080p @ 60FPS.
    But did we get... a console that struggles to 30FPS and some games not at 1080p.

I really would not trust 10 dollars on M$ to tell the truth :)

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I doubt the Scorpio is going to cost 1000+ dollars. Anybody who imagines they are getting 1000+ dollars of performance when buying a 400 dollars device can only blame themselves.

Kind of reminds you of those people back in the day who were all "OMG, somebody's selling their PS3 for 50 dollars on Ebay." And then they got an empty PS3 cardboard box. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't true.

Still, it's going to kick Xbox One's ass easily. It would actually be compared to a whole lot of gaming PCs out there, which is more than Xbox One and PS4 could claim.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    speculating what happens 18 months from now...

I might become the king of Medellin cartel

:D

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Scorpio sounds like the machine that the original Xbox One should have been if Microsoft had not lumbered it with a crappy Kinect add-on. Actually, it's better because the tech did not exist at the time of the PS4 and Xbox One's launch. Shame that it will still have a rubbish Jaguar core; that is definitely going to limit the potential of the GPU just as it would on a PC.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Letting aside my own opinion for consoles or the coming 'upgrades', I hope it means that PC games benefit from improved performance on consoles at least to some extend.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Where do you see that it's going to have Jaguar cores? The title of the thread is Zen SoC?

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah won't be Jaguar as AMD wouldn't made designs of Jaguar 14nm SoC.

Definitely will be a Zen, since that's all AMD is designing now for 14nm.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Most likely it will be a lower internal resolution that is upscaled to 4k. Microsoft is more relying on post processing effects like HDR to make up for this.

The only thing I am worried about, is both Sony and Microsoft are going to have titles that require the higher powered variants of their consoles. They say there won't be, but I don't believe that.

Nintendo titles do this already, and have depending on console. Few games required the extra memory pack on the n64, and their portable consoles like the DS, and 3DS are notorious for this.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    there wont native 4k for console in this generation, because soc not reaching to the point can give smooth 30fps... forget 60fps

upscaling is different talk though.... 1080fps -> upscaled to 4k is possible
    well we see lots 4k TV nowdays and those TV can upscale HD contents, and the result good enough...

they can simply add option/detection code line when booting the game
    if vanilla console -> setting A(HD-medium)... new console -> setting B(UHD/4k-high)
    like graphics option in PC games but user wont see those option, it will automatically select based the console
    thats why there will always same game copy

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I hope that doesn't mean that developers get to be lazy with optimization, although as far as I understand some APIs are on the copy-paste level (almost) for porting to PC.

14. BrimStone101

BrimStone101 Guest

GPU:
    16 gig
    nice