PREY (2017) | Prey 2 [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Mar 12, 2011.

1. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Awesome news if it turns out to be true!

Is Prey the most delayed game series ever? The original game was going to be released around the time of Quake 1 and we got that in 2006(?) and now 6 years after it was first rumored it looks like Prey 2 might be back on track again.

Prey 3 in 2025 anyone? :D

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    U Serious?

I think the fabled Half Life 3 will always take the cake..

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Still one of my favorite video game trailers *__*

Please ohh please let this game be made.

4. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    I meant game series, but yeh HL3 is the current king. Although Prey 2 would need to be released for my statement to be true.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Half-Life 3 has never even been announced and never officially confirmed to being worked on.
    I think Duke Nukem Forever takes that prize.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It won't be the same PREY 2 we know.
    The one Human Head were working on... that looked so damn awesome.... is long gone.

If this is true, it'll be a completely different take.

I'm still interested, but, I'm gonna hold out on getting excited until one, it's officially announced. And two, I've seen it.
    I got way excited for PREY 2 as it looked awesome, then ZeniMax screwed over Human Head and canceled the game simply because HH wouldn't let ZeniMax buy their studio.

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I'm listening.

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  9. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Cool, thanks for the post! :cheers:

Are they porting it to another engine... say the engine used with the new Doom? That could be a treat.

10. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    The rumors back when they took over the project were they supposedly moved it over to CryEngine.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Game supposed to be using modified Id4 engine but they probably use id6 if the mentioned doom.

I dont think there was ever talk about moving to any other.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That new trailer is not for Prey 2, Prey 2 has been canceled.

The new Prey is a completely different game and I think it should have it's own thread.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    After Bethesdas treatment of Human Head, I will not support this title or Bethesda.

Eurogamer
    : Ex-Human Head developer attacks "lie" that Prey 2 was only ever "just a demo"
    The real Prey 2

IGN: What Went Wrong With Human Head's Prey 2?

Ex-Human Head developer attacks "lie" that Prey 2 was only ever "just a demo"
    Ive now reached my monthly post quota and will now proceed to disappear into the night. (dont forget to replay Condemned)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ I always wondered about the whole fallout over Prey 2 and its untimely demise. I never actually was aware just how far into development HH got to.. at the same time, I'm not surprised in the least that a larger company like Beth could play bully in this way.

Honestly, knowing this, I will not purchase this new Prey either.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ohh.. so this thread transformed into Prey Reboot now... GG Damien or Moderator xD

The idea for Prey 2 is what interested me, hunting aliens as a bounty hunter, and the funky trailer with Johnny Cash.. just cool..

Well.. the new game also looks cool, but I'm not sure what it's about after watching the trailer :T

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I loved the first game and I'll most likely play this one too. But it always irritated me that they weren't going to continue the same story or at least a similar one. Even the portals from the first game were gone which was an amazing gameplay feature back then.

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    While I will forever be sad that I won't get to play Human Head's vision for PREY 2, I'm aware enough to realize crap like this happens more often then we realize.

I've been saying for a few years now that the reason development on PREY 2 stopped was because ZeniMax/Bethesda tried to back HH into a corner so they could buy the studio, but HH refused as they wanted to stay independent.
    As a few key people from HH stated back in 2014 or so, shortly after Pete Hines was telling everyone that asked that the game "didn't meet their expectations for quality".

It was an obvious line made to try and put Bethesda in the best light possible in the situation. Specially since a ton of people were excited for the new product.

As for this new take...
    Firstly, I do find it annoying to reboot the series after only one game. We'll now be seeing people attempting to talk about Prey and constantly having to make the specification of either the 2006 game or the 2017 game.
    Also, Tommy was one of the most human and natural protagonists to have appeared in a FPS game. His dialog was believable, his reactions and emotions... believable. To see a fantastic performance ignored and a wonderful character continued is sad.

BUT...
    Arkane are a great studio. I've enjoyed every product they've put out.
    Some are saying using the PREY name for this new game is brand recognition. While, in some ways, I can see that... it's not a big enough name that that really seems like the main reason they did this.
    Ultimately, it strikes me as Bethesda wanting to make this completely their own. Not wanting to continue something that 3DR/Human Head started.

While hard to judge from a CG trailer, the concept at play here does look good. It instantly made me think of System Shock. Which, is always a great thing.
    And, they are definitely using the "hunter/prey" theme that was also core in the original game.
    I will probably forever be annoyed that this is PREY. Because it's attempting to whip away a fantastic game, and we'll never see the awesome looking PREY 2.
    But, I also see the possibility for something really fun and amazing here and I'm actually interested... and a little excited to see what Arkane can do.

Conflicted. Much.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    ...I'm so annoyed.
    I'm sure this new Prey will be good, but it shouldn't be called Prey.

20. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Prey: It's like Doom and you liked Doom, right?

I wanted to be a Space Bounty Hunter...:wanker: