Back on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Cyberdyne, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    So I recently made a thread about how I suffered though a year of a mechanical keyboard only to come back to a rubber dome and finally be happy again.

And after a year of suffering Windows 10 I'm back on Windows 7.

Any sort of soft-tweaking seems to render Windows 10 update permanently inoperable.
    I got sick of that crap "Stub bad data" error.
    Preventing updates I don't want is an absolute chore, and doing so risks breaking getting future updates. Esspecially if you mess with anything relating to telemetry (aka MS Spyware), boom Windows update dead forever.
    Suffering god awful UAC to let apps function.
    Issues with the Windows store not downloading apps.
    Apps not launching.
    Issues with logging into my Microsoft account.
    It seems simply looking at the desktop to sternly causes Windows 10 to suffer most of these issues.
    From RTM to Build 14361. 4 fresh installs.

I've never had to deal with this. Even Windows 8 and 8.1 were totally fine, toss Classic Shell on, tweak and mess with it all you want, rock solid. Something broke, you could easily fix it or revert it without a clean install.

I used Windows 7 on release and had the same installation all the way till Windows 8 and 8.1. Also used 8/8.1 on one installation till Windows 10.

So I'm just done with it, done waiting. Figured why waste time with Windows 8 when I don't need the apps at all. Might as well use good ol' Windows 7.

So much happier now. No worries.
    I might have to wait an extra 5 seconds to boot Windows but it's a fair trade off.

There you have it. Rubber dome keyboards and Windows 7 have made me a much happier enthusiast.
    Worse case scenario I'll put Windows 10 on another partition if and when games I want to play require DX12/App store.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I must admit i run windows 10 on my second rig and after a year of use i can't really say i'm totally convinced.

Welcome back on windows 7 and have fun with it like i do until it ends in a few years.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can only hope they sort it out by 2020. Asking to be as stable as windows 8 is not asking much.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anything past 10586 is going to be full of bugs, it's beta / preview until July 29th

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I honestly only tried other builds out of desperation, I would have been perfectly content at the time if things like App and interface related things break maybe... but maybe at least the CORE functionality of the OS was fixed.

Exact story on that is;
    installed Threshold 1 Public Release, had major issues.
    Reinstalled TH1 again and just let Windows Update be dead once it died (didn't take long).
    Once "Current Branch" 10586 TH2 came out I did a third fresh install, same issues. (and actually I remember installing TH2 a second time, to that's 5 fresh installs if my math's is correct).
    So, out of a final act of desperation I downloaded an ISO build that came out before 14361 directly from Microsoft. Fast ring updated me to 14361. This is when I, yet again, had the "Stub bad data" error on nearly anything I attempted to open the first time.

Trust me, I feel like an idiot. But, c'mon, it's not like I did anything to destroy the OS, I promise. If I use a desktop why can't I simply get rid of the preinstalled Apps, get rid of Maps, turn off geolocation, ect ect. I use these on my phone not my PC. I hate UAC, so now I need to endure that too? And even when I try to just let Windows 10 do what it wants simple things like Primocache break Apps from launching.
    Meh, that's just scratching the surface. I hope you get the idea.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That bad stub error likely isn't Windows 10, not on it's own anyway, don't think anyone got to the bottom of it yet, but it was looking like a combination of certain nvidia drivers and other things

Some people getting it, others not, no obvious differences in setups, there's a load of posts about it in the latest drivers thread

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I just use a local account and screw any apps or windows store and not a problem. :)

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm just saying I'm content right now. Tired of dealing with it. If I don't login I can't use Apps or the Store, and if I don't play any DX12 games... in the end what is the point of being on Win10 right now considering the issues.

They got 4 years to sort it out.
    But I will be still dual booting, just for the odd DX12 games and apps. It's interesting though... even when Vista came out I didn't bother dual booting XP. Maybe I'm simply less patient now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'm definitely less patient, there was a time when the latest broken beta would be my main OS no matter how broken

Now they get 5 mins in VMWare, if that

I just want a stable working machine now

10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well I might return to w7 too, but I just give this w10crap try.
    So far so good, after disabling telemetry and WU seems stable.Ugly but stable. Sometimes default programs like browser appear as problem, but...

Only w10 and dx12 app I use lately is Warhammer Total War, so...if I finish game reason to use this system vanish, besides gains aren't so huge...

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah I mean, that's how I dealt with it for a year, disabling telemetry and WU, not using Apps.
    But it bothers me that I can't even update security wise. Or even stability wise. Automatic updates are kinda important. And after turning those two things off, in my experience it breaks updates forever. Like, you can check for updates, but it would always say I'm fully updated. Which was of course I knew was a lie, at least one update was put out in a 3 month time span lol.
    And then there was that reappearing Stub error. I understand that that may not be 100% MS' fault, but ultimately that's irrelevant to my eyes, it's super annoying.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Disabling telemetry using those 3rd party programs does more damage than anything else

Everything tracks you, Windows tracks no more than Google or facebook or anything else you do, no point breaking the OS over something that's happening everywhere you go online anyway

Just about every site you visit leaves a tracking cookie in your browser, your ISP logs your activities, smartphone, tablet, everything

I started off the same as everyone else, installing loads of things to block 10's telemetry, and eventually got so stupid I couldn't even access Microsoft sites, and half of the OS didn't work

Clean installed, ignored it and got on with my life, 10 works fine and the Men in Black haven't turned up yet

13. dgrigo

dgrigo Guest

GPU:
    TitanX
    After 5 Installs of Windows 10 , i am happy also as after 11 months I am back to my windows 7, I hate the APPS, the menu, windows 10 advertisements on menu and lock screen, DX12 not picking up and just downgrades my frame rates from dx11, the Windows store games,hate UWA that locks me out of my computer and a huge list of reasons I hate in microsoft policy.
    I hope to see OSX go for open source when apple decides, or if google makes a real linux OS and be able to jump ship.
    So many years of frustration at microsoft is enough for me... keep in mind i am coming from an legendary age as my first real Computer (after Sinclair/commodore age) and second was an Iris Indigo and later Indigo 2.. (Silicon Graphics)loved those years and strangely i loved Irix too :p

Best

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @Extraordinary; Yeah I did that too on one of my installs, but that was a install on top of an install so I didn't mention it. Like with the Windows.old folder and such. So maybe that's why Windows update still broke later down the line like a month later. Still weird that it worked for awhile though.
    And I did that as well on the latest build, but after dealing with that Stub error I was just fed up. I can do what I want with Windows 7, do in depth themeing, tweak, mess with it, ect, without worrying about it blowing up.

@dgrigo; just make sure you use Never10 so you don't wake up to a Windows 10 'upgrade' within the next month and a half ;)
    UWA for games NEEDS to not be a thing. Please just die like GWL.
    And you forgot mandatory UAC prompts lol.
    I would love to install Linuxmint as my one and only OS. But DirectX is not going anywhere for the far foreseeable future.

15. dgrigo

dgrigo Guest

GPU:
    TitanX
    @Cyberdyne
    Hehe, thanks .. tho i don't need it as i had placed a copy of my activated windows 7 in a shelf like i knew lol...
    For microsoft I am a happy windows 10 user with an activated entitled copy but i sneaked off and plugged back my trusty windows 7 copy!
    So no more upgrade bugging for me ;)

/wave

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    QFT everyone is a little over the top with the telemetry fear I turn off the stuff you can with the switches and forget it.I don't use the windows store and will never like the apps not my thing.I've had no problems with update turned off driver updates and it's never done any.Zero problems.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @jbmcmillan; I guess technically that was fine for me too, I was doing the same thing.
    But I kinda want/need Windows 10 Update. If I ever want to update and see if issues/features/security updates and builds come out that means I need yet again another clean install.
    That's not OK to me. Especially if this is supposed to be an OS that is constantly evolving and being patched up with things like rolling updates. That really defeats the purpose, and I seriously hope they overhaul that in the next few years.
    I shouldn't have to disable WU, and have it end up inoperable. I should be able to pick and choose which updates I get without using a separate cumbersome tool that I need to download, and install them when I want them completely independent of the rest of the OS. What if an update comes out that fixes an issue, or made Apps easier to use. Again, another clean install. I feel that's a basic OS function that even a serious poweruser typically will at least set to notify. Which obviously is ALSO not an option anymore.

I've even just used the built in switches like you to disable tracking. And I had issues with some of the options being greyed out making it impossible to use Insider Previews until I messed around with gpedit.

Meh, /rantoff. You get the idea. Even the age of smart phones, I can root and tinker with Andriod without it destroying core functionality.

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I meant I have no trouble with update I just turned off driver updates other than that it runs fine.I think turning of stuff with the 3rd party tools is messing up update for you.I have never messed with gpedit because everything I needed worked.I'm using 10 on this machine and an ancient laptop with zero problems I don 't use any new builds until they come out as an actual update I haven't the patience to screw with things breaking anymore.

19. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    You can basically limit it as much as possible by just disabling the one telemetry service which isn't called that anymore and I can't remember what they changed it to and changing the telemetry group policy with gpedit. Removing the search bar from your taskbar will put both Cortana processes into a suspended state until you actually use it (AFAIK). All that's left is the stuff in the new Windows settings dialog some of which gets configured at installation/initial setup time.

I don't get why people even bother with all the third party crap that will no doubt break things sometimes in subtle ways which may not be completely obvious at first.

I would even put third-party A/V software in this category as well. Just don't bother. Use Chrome, learn to like uBlock Origin and dynamic filtering (look for medium mode in the uBlock Origin documentation/wiki) and you'll be many many times safer than doing anything else.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @jbmcmillan ; I guess I still do have the patience for that. I feel that's why it's called a PC.
    Not just the tower itself, but I want to make my OS my own.
    That's why I still theme using uxtheme patching. I even got a Windowblinds licence for the first time just so I could theme Windows 10 without risking breaking it (so much that did).