Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    SMH! DX12 is not asynchronous compute. You are exactly the person AMD hopes to ensnare with this PR campaign. Look at all the DX12 benches even SoA and see that the new nvidia cards are leading. Likely in a few months Vega will match or beat GP104 then you will see GP100/102.

2. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    What's SoA ?

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Lol my iPad auto corrected AoS to SoA (Sons of Anarchy).

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Soa means something entirely different in dutch :p

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm in no rush that is the reason why I am waiting until the end of the month to start shopping around and see what I can find if anything. If not then Some time in July then.

6. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Well that is nice theory, but here a 970 costs more then in 2014. But sure, there was no RX480 around the corner back then.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hi, nice review, im just missing one thing, the rated TDP of the card from the manufacturer. For example is it the same as the stock/founders edition or is it higher, for this is the most interesting part with these custom cards, as the real limiting factor at ocing is the TDP, not the voltage, temps or that the gpu cant handle it?
    As a suggestion for all the custom 1080 and 1070 reviews i would suggest to always give the TDP of it and the max TDP % that you can up for OCing.
    Thanks

8. bitonio

bitonio Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD 530
    I don't think there is much madness into this. If you are a very demanding user, every fps count hence the sooner you can have fun the better. If money is not a factor, why bother.

Considering there's no perfect review, most of the time it doesn't take into consideration the various Quality Insurance and tolerance, it's often hard to make a decision, but you can get close to it. Unless a brand made a significant progress for this new generation, it sounds like the good one for 900 series will be also the good ones to pick for 1000 series.

Personally, I just build a completely new PC, so for me the sooner will be better, I new shortage would be there, I didn't anticipated retailers go so far from MSRP considering I just need a simple 1070 as quiet as it can be. I hope find something not far from $379 even if virtually I could spend twice much, but for casual gaming at 1200p, I prefer keep the money to buy games :)

I'm trying to be wise, and thanks Guru3d for this test and the 1080, I'm new again to this world (my last 3D card was a Matrox Mystique :evil:)

So my short list right now, with the sparse media coverage:
    1- MSI - Armor 8G
    2- EVGA - entry level ACX 3.0 cooling
    3- Asus Strix - not sure about this one

I'm being patient telling myself stock will be there soon, with more supply than demand, some wrinkles will be ironed...

Meanwhile I'm playing GoG on a 6700K rig :ying:

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So that you know how much OC potential is left in the card?
    It's not that simple.

Empirical approach is the best:
    Pay attention to what reviewers and users are getting in terms of OC, and a randomly bought card should fall somewhere within that range.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im personal thinking MSI - 1070 Armor 8G/OC but depend on price, though I think i might wait for 1060 series

11. trajan2448

trajan2448 Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Very impressive. Probably squeeze a little more as drivers mature. The beat down on Fury X was surprising.

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I pulled the trigger for the MSI 1070 OC got it from ebuyer for £415 was in stock ordered today getting tomorrow. Waitied for the 1080GTX Strix overclockers.co.uk took the money on 27th of May and had NO intention in sending them out after phoning and phoning i found out they did have some.... but they where reserved for system builds. So they had my money for over 20 days and refused to honour what i paid for so screw overclockers been a loyal customer for many years but this was total crap. Heck the entire 10x launch has been total crap, over priced almost impossible to get hold off. Who the hell thought it was good for launch, even the main launch was technically nothing more than a paper launch which they did before anyway. I would like to say nVidia should be ashamed but they an't cause with the drop in the 980Ti price people may pick them up to help fulfil the 1070's since they are priced close together right now and at the same time clear their inventory.

13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    @ Dazz, do you really think that a company that renames their reference card, Founders Edition is capable of being ashamed?

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You really can't go wrong with MSI cards for the past few gens now.

15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Anyone got theirs yet? Cause i get coil-whine on mine, i thought with these cards it was eliminated?

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Oh no, mine arrives on Monday. I will update if mine does it aswell. :(

17. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well if you are going to be like me and use Adaptive Vsync then you won't notice it but if you are going to disable it then under high FPS then you will notice it. It was i was playing with it trying to overclock and make it sweat, i can hit 2101MHz but downclocks it's self to about 2050MHz, now of the box mine runs at 2050Mhz anyway LOL so yeah left that at default and overclocked memory from 8GHz to 9.4Ghz got about 2000 extra points in Firestrike with just the memory overclock since the GPU is already flat out.

According to Afterburner i am hitting a voltage limit, power limit is 126% but never goes over 93%, temps never goes over 65C.

Runs very cool too mines 32-34C idle no fans and maxes out at 65C with the fans running at 33% 600rpms so the card is incredibly quiet, in FO4 the thing is running passive most of the time during the game LMFAO incredible really spins up once every 10mins or so for 10 seconds to bring temps down to about 40C before it cuts off.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hey Dazz, what resolution are you playing at? What causes that coil whine? Maybe the card should have been louder, you wouldn't have heard it then. :D

19. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I played at 2560x1080P, with vsync off. However since i perfer adaptive vSync i don't notice it it's just in games like Fallout 4 where you are hitting hundreds of fps (lock picking etc. Since i am using adaptive sync it's a no issue really which i am sure most people will be using anyway. Just reviews say theres no coil whine noticed and since they play with vsync off i would have expected them to have said something.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm up and running, v-sync off, tried a few games like Doom and CSGO, ran Furmark and a load of the other Kombuster demos and I don't have any coil whine on mine so must be luck of the draw. I've done no oc on mine though. I have tested fans at 100% to hear how loud they are, it's not loud at all really.