The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    that's typical gigabyte. tiny fans, high rpm, lots of annoying high pitched noise. nothing new here. that's why I also prefer MSI over Gigabyte.

3. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    I think anybody who wants a nice quiet 1080 and cannot/don't want to pay the high price for the MSI Gaming X , i think this Inno 3D GTX 1080 iChill X3 is being severely overlooked.

At £80 / $115 less than the MSI Gaming X , if i hadn't already experienced the silence of the MSI twin frozr i would be all over this INNO 3D card :banana:

https://youtu.be/l_utspofsHI

At the beginning of the video it's normal speed it only spins about 1000RPM and at 11.20 91% fan speed is 1400RPM 13.15 you can see that the card has a Maximum even at 100% fan speed of 1550RPM , thats pretty much a silent card. :infinity:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    The ASUS Strix is the best selling/Preordered card on OCUK , everybody is buying it but it looks to be a noisy as hell card to me , i though the Strix were supposed to be quiet :3eyes:

I've just found this video which compares the ASUS Strix to the Inno3D iChill X3 i've just been talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_utspofsHI

I don't think some gamers realise that you don't have to put up with a noisy fan these days . And that they don't ramp up to very high RPM's during gaming anymore like they did 5 years ago , it's a shame.

If you buy the right card they're pretty much silent all the time even during heavy gaming :nerd:

5. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Ahaha that asus is like a JSF on full speed :D
    I cant wait to get my msi,s soon enough.

6. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    The good things about those loud, high RPM designs is that you don't have GPU sag. In fact, it's probably best to have something pushing the GPU down in case it lifts off

7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I had a g1 gtx 980 ti before in sli there where not that loud, but still a bit noisy, i hope those msi,s are more silent :)

8. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah that's because gigabyte lowered fan speed in bios update :p

Max rpm is 4200

Max on stock bios is 3400 I think

Anyway, msi coolers are quiet but less effective, at least with 980ti it was like this

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You can't compare directly since the fans are different in size. MSI fans at 1500 RPM would equal something like 2000 RPM Gigabyte fans in terms of noise. Still, three small fans is worse, less effective solution than two large ones in my opinion. You'll definitely hear these fans at 2300 RPM.

10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    This is ****ing bs ordered cards yesterday they were in stock, 10 pieces, now i get en email today that they all sold out and new ones get back on 21 june this month what a ****ing joke!

I already payed for them great.

11. qgshadow

qgshadow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI 2560x1440
    You should cancel and wait for better the xtreme and all the other ones not released yet.

the MSI GAMING X one is overpriced for what it gives IMO.

12. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    They reduce my payment if the price gets cheaper when new msi x cards ships.

13. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes theres a tradeoff , that why i'm going with the 1080 Mid Chip this time :)

Thats what i said earlier in the thread , i think the the big pascal is going to have a high TDP especially when overclocked and be pretty hot like the GM100 , thats a lot of power and heat , the really big triple fan - high RPM cards are great in that scenario.

14. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    @ JAMVA lemme know what u have the card :)

15. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for that , Awesome :) :banana:

It's looks like MSI have a custom power limit again like on my 780 (which they factory set to 117%) which causes the card to double boost past what they say the boost clock is . All of the ones i've seen seem to be unofficially boosting to 1936Mhz out the box , MSI never advertise that :)

16. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    You too :p

I only preordered a couple of days ago at OCUK , sent a webnote and was expecting to be 200-300 in the queue :( :-

This is the reply:-

'as you ordered via paypal I cannot see your exact position in the queue, we currently have 74 pre-orders and you are approximately 60th in the queue for the GPU'

WooHoo!! :pc1:

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've read a lot of reviews and here is a small breakdown of the bigger brands:
    MSI Gaming X - Everyone says this is a quiet card even at max load and OCs adequately.
    ASUS Strix OC - One reviewer said it was loud but others say it's not. Normal gaming RPM is under 50% which is about 1800-18500RPM. Highest OC out of the box with some headroom.
    Gigabyte Xtreme - Not very quiet and doesn't OC well.
    Inno iChill X3 - Quiet but hot (since fan RPM is only 1500) which gives no headroom for OC.
    EVGA FTW - Not read any review about this card

EDiT - Named them too.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the summary. Can't wait to see the first custom vBIOSs and eventually tests or reviews with / of waterblocks.

19. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    The one I miss is EVGA FTW :p

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If I only had read anything about it :)