What to do with old GPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rumpus01, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I've had an EVGA GTX 285 lying around for a few years. Can anyone advise on what to do with it? My work does recycling for electronics, so I was thinking of just doing that or throwing it up on CL for extremely cheap.

The version I have has a lifetime warranty - I'm wondering if I should try RMAing it to EVGA to see if they send me something new. I would throw it in an HTPC, but it's so large and such a power hog compared to low end modern cards.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    try RMAing it, that should be interesting, let us know what they do ^^

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Does it still work? Can probably get something for it on eBay...

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I would start a Thread an offer a ( Freebie) to one of our members that can most use it. I mean that is what I would do if I had a xtra gpu laying around.You could make someones day with that.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Indeed.

Giving away someone on this forum who can needs a card. You can be generous when you want. There are still plenty of games than can be played on such a card.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Try RMAing it, and you would be surprised how many modern games it can play at reasonable settings. If you have spare parts make a smaller PC and give it/donate it somewhere.

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Find a company that takes trade ins for GPU I used to do it in my company was a hit for my local customers I dunno if there is a larger based style company online.

8. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    That the problem with power hungry, older video cards. They become nearly worthless as anyone with the power to run them is going to be running something better. I see these selling for $20-$30 these days. Tragic, considering the initial cost.

My old GTX260 lives in grandmas desktop. I always overbuild even our basic rigs so it had a beefy PSU.

I found someone to make use of my old 8800GTS a few weeks ago. I gave him all my old Core2Duo stuff and a few video cards. Felt better than just tossing it. :)

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I would just give it away to someone here on thread, You obviously arent going to use it anymore but there are people who could make good use of it or some kid just getting into gaming 4 example.

On a diffrent thread i wont mention any names a guy gave me a code for windows 7 pro, I was like in total shock. Nobody ever gave me anything before for free so in return I gave some old parts away to a few members.

Its your stuff tough I dont wanna force anyone LOL. :)

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  12. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming

Dont give this guy anything, ill give away my 970 in august after i pay my daughters tuition

My family has been here in one part or another for 350 years, last names Klinger Eisenhart Henderson Broscoe Fallen Arnest and De la Torre. This is an international forum and this why i love being here. I dont want the base racist attitudes to grow on this forum.Black white purple brown yellow, were all brothers here on guru3d.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Not sure I understand your what nz3777's comment has to do with racizm, I'm a bit confused... :confused:

OP, I like to keep all kinds of all hardware for my collection, I never sell any of my used hardware, don't like the idea to sell them dirty cheap looking at the fact most of that HW way quite expencive when it I bought it new. But still over the years I've found a good use for it, here is my quote from another thread here at G3D, this is just an idea what you could do:

14. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming

It's from a different thread, sorry

15. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    I think it is a joke that people think they can RMA something just because it is old!