GeForce GTX 1080 Fan issues to be solved with driver update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Sunnijim

Sunnijim Guest

I can hear the AMD fanboys already

3. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    May I kindly ask, to those who know better, if a cooler like the Founders Edition blowing the heat in the back of the computer is recommended in a closed computer case situation, like the MSI AERO?

Given that most cards with different cooler might end up at a roughly equivalent maximum OC, maybe the rear exhaust type of these cards are helping the temperature for other components inside the case?

Thanks a lot

4. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    Well, I just heard one fanboy :)

5. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    IMHO a cooler which sucks air from the PC case and blows the heat out of the PC case is much better, than coolers sucking the air from the PC case and blowing the heat back into the PC case. The latter solution requires much more efficient (and more noisy) PC case ventilation.

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    agree
    in my close case (silverstone FT02)
    GTX780 reference is around 43C idle ... up to 80C on load
    while msi GTX780 lighting 34C idle - rarely when over 70C on load

also reference cooler fans is more noisy compared to custom msi fans

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nah, you disagree. He's saying the blower type is better in general while you prefer the aftermarket style which depends more heavily on adequate case cooling. The two models that you compared doesn't mean anything. Stock fan profile on the blower style is ~80C under load.

8. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Thank you for your inputs !

While products like the MSI Twin Frozr or lighting (and other similar) are attractive products, the way they dissipate heat is like: <<I don't care of my neighboring components!>>

I'm thinking of purchasing the MSI AERO OC (1771 MHz) and maybe have the video card hotter but lowering the CPU/Board/Memory temperatures!

What do you think, do motherboards and component stuff really suffering for having hot air blowing on them ?

9. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    Motherboard components tend to overheat after the CPU is overclocked.
    GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC will blow the heat out of the PC case - looks good to me.
    You may also install the air duct, which will supply the CPU with cool air from the outside of the PC case. I made a temporary air duct with cardboard and adhesive tape, and it is still there since 2012 :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  10. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    oh yea i miss-understood what he saying

well i am not reviewer, so what i said based what i have
    not sure why u saying the model i compare not mean anything

basically blower type = reference card... i rarely find custom-card using blower style.... maybe there none afaik
    so if comparing between those not mean anything then what will do?

based my experience, there no reason to get blower type (reference card) over custom cooling card...especially the price is same

the custom cooling card always give better temp no matter how packed you rig case plus more silent (better fan quality?)

the only thing i doubt, is if your rig using passive cooling for cpu with fan-less case (HTPC)... in such cases maybe blower type perform better?
    but if me, i still pick custom, because i find it more easier to cleaning(dust) the heatsink over blower type

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  12. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    O.K.
    Just please note that there are multiply "custom" cards with "reference style" cooling solution. When you look at GTX 1080 from MSI - for example, as Groovy-Music found it - you will notice several versions with "reference style" cooling solution, where the hot air is pushed out of the PC case.

13. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    "Issue" "solved"

Clever wording. More like Nvidia's intentionally low fan speed increased for consumer release. Tech journalists and forum members should not let Nvidia get away with this kind of stuff so easily; its pretty clear what the plan was.

Release intentionally gimped review cards to the websites. Let them show off low fan speeds and noise in their mostly open-air test benches, on benchmarks that don't run for longer than 5-10 minutes where the card can maintain its boost frequency. Then, once its time for them to go into homes, just released a "fix" for the "issue" to bring fan noise up, and give them the performance at a significantly higher sound penalty.

It's been a problem with a number of generations of cards where the fan curve is simply not aggressive enough, and will not allow boost clocks for more than a few minutes. It's not technically a lie, since boost clocks are never guaranteed, but the intention is pretty clear; create a card that runs benchmarks better than it plays games. Update the fan speeds once the reviews are done. Basically Volkswagen.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah dude, it was $3B of engineering. That fan curve was engineered to perfection. The average gamer only plays for 10-20 minutes anyway, not long enough for the throttling to matter according to Nvidia's Geforce Experimetrics™.

Lol -- conspiracy might be a little far but it does seem really stupid for them to overlook the throttling issue. I don't mind minor throttling in weird scenarios (like furmark), but in some reviews the frequency literally drops to ~1650 after 20 minutes in regular games. That's unacceptable. It's like a 8-12% performance loss after a period of time. It's even more amusing that it's on the most expensive variant of the card. None of the AIB custom solutions I've seen even come to close to the FE's throttling, yet they are all cheaper.

Nvidia should just be embarrassed by the FE edition cards. I really hope it's the first and last generation we will see them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    While I agree custom cooling cards perform better, for themselves, they can increase the eat for the other components such as the CPU.
    Now that summer is mostly here, my friend's pc is shutting down from thermal proctection just by playing a light game, due to the heat inside his compturer. His video card indeed is a custom design and does not push the hot air out.

Custom cooling are the only type of video cards I bough for several tech generations and, in my situation, I cannot much leave my computer outside of its desk cubicule due to space restrictions and its closed sides configuration make my top video card of my Crossfire setup to suffer badly from heat, reaching the thermal jonction temperature and throttling if I don't reduce the overclock.
    When games are not compatible with Crossfire and therefore using only that top card, I can overclock to the max since it's not suffering from the heat of the bottom card. Also, the CPU has to endure the heat of 2 video cards.

Since any card that I'm going to buy is going to reach a high temperature, because even if I buy a MSI Twin Frozr that stays cool @ stock, it's gonna represent more 'headroom' for overclocking until at some point, it wont be so cool, and be OC with high temp to the max too... So I'm mostly thinking at the surrounding components this time (not having a open case/test bed style configuration)

If the Fonders Edition is indeed frequently throttling after only 20 minutes... I still might go from another "blow anywhere the hot air we don't care" type of card :O

custom designs are less expensive than the Fonders too

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    So the question is has the new driver worked? If yes then this just goes to show how card death's could of happened with poorly released drivers that cause HW faults or the longevity of a cards life that may be damaged over time.

Luckily people get on to these things pretty quickly these days and that's down mainly to people like us who like to tinker and watch numbers and monitor our expensive machines.

Without people like us these things may slip into mainstream use and cause people to believe the HW is at fault.

17. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    Theories are good. Evidence is better.