Nvidia Fast Sync on amd ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by realmadrid, Jun 5, 2016.

1. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    i am so disappointing no vsync option on amd why ?? look nvidia the new option Fast Sync is amazing :wanker: i want option like that c'mon AMD :wanker:

2. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Unless your game runs at 120+ fps, fast sync is not just useless but worse.

3. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    it remove mouse lag look this reply

I just discovered this yesterday and I am blown away. Using GTX970 with a 75hz screen. My Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, and also Dead Island Definitive edition became smooth as silk! I could not believe my eyes. Felt like I had got a new GPU.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=407785&page=2

4. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    I know what it does and I know how it works. Again, it is only useful if your FPS is VERY high. By very high I mean multiple times higher than your monitor refresh rate.

If its lower than that, result is actually worse.

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Exactly.

If you are a "ProGamer" with need of 200 FPS in a frenetic quake-like shooter game it's usable for you. For rest of us it's an useless feature.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Welcome to the AMD desert, where new features are added only when we care about our benchmark performance (see the tessellation reduction sliders that are actually useful). There is no way to force triple buffering/vsync with AMD, except with Radeon Pro that has started not to work with a lot of new games.

Fast Sync is more or less triple buffering that can drop frames. This is one of the best explanations I could find:

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    [​IMG]

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Can i have this a little bigger please for my logo?

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Meh, just give me more FPS.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Catch!

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Your fellow AMD user has already used it as an avatar, get yourself your own :D

On topic, where it really counds, multiplayer games, I doubt this will help you greatly, since you're limited by the game's polling rate anyway (which is crap in many cases besides things like CS:GO and mobas maybe).

12. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Why don't people just use borderless window mode on Windows it already does triple buffering.

And its not way more latency like Nvidia's fast sync.

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And what advantage does borderless window bring over exclusive mode?

14. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Borderless Windowed mode, programs render to texture and the desktop compositor presents to the display. True fullscreen mode, the application directly handles frame presentation to the display.

Windowed-fullscreen / borderless-windowed until choices like FastSync essentially offered a compromise between tear-free drawing and input lag.

-The problem is that vsync usually implies an application waits after available buffers have been used up. In windowed, where DWM controls presentation, an application can render at any framerate that it wants (including over the display refresh like with vsync off). But ... you pay a price in doing this unless the game can render at very high framerates.

The price is in frametime-to-presentation consistency, and this can cause more stutter than the perceived vsync-stutter. FastSync is intended to be another middleground improvement, though FreeSync and GSync are obviously superior.

EDIT:
    It's important to understand that every technique has tradeoffs. There's a negative to FreeSync and GSync in that mouse-updates on the screen will match ingame framerate [down to the monitor's extent]. Both also cause display 'flicker' with abrupt framerate changes.

It can look bad when your mouse starts chopping in an RTS, for example, when the framerate dips down... So, even with FreeSync you might still prefer vsync or windowed with a certain game. (full smooth hardware-cursor at all times, even at low fps)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm just asking because I have occasionally tried borderless window, but usally it has inferior performance for me, probably only perceived subjectively.

I've got a XB270HU, so 144Hz and Gsync, and I've always felt that fullscreen mode somewhat works better, don't nail me down on how exactly though :D

16. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Ah, right you are in this case. It's subjective to the viewer and why FPS as a number isn't everything.

-You can get literally an identical framerate in a shooter with windowed and with an adaptive refresh ... but despite the identical framerate, people will still point to the adaptive as looking smoother. (in double-blind comparisons between the two)

There's two types of delays in rendered images from the game. The time it takes for the game, drivers, etc, to produce the frame (which can vary from frame to frame) - and also the time it takes for the frame to be presented after it's produced. The lower that you can keep that discrepancy, the smoother it's going to feel and look.

In Windowed, since the game doesn't control presentation it's at the mercy of when the desktop compositor decides to push the next frame (and can be quite off from the time this happens). -> Adaptive sync doesn't have this problem as long as the game is within a FPS range that the display can handle.

--The only real reason that I can think of to use Windowed if you have a nice screen like that, is if you find a game that flicker is really bad in (such as Planetary Annihilation).

17. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I'm waiting to see what Nvidia will release in the 200€ price range for this reason.
    Before my 660ti, I only used AMD/ATI cards, but once tried NvidiaInspector and all the tweaking and the goodies you can do with Nvidia cards (like Fast Sync or Adaptive Sync and 3dVidion without Tridef) it will be hard to came back.
    Why damn AMD do not copy these features?

Radeon Pro was the only tweaking option and it's without support since years

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Actually I have Planetary Annihilation, but I'm not sure if I played it with my current screen already tbh. At least I don't remember any flickering or such problems.

So I'm still not sure how to treat borderless windows, usually I just hit full screen, turn off vsync, and enjoy what I paid premium price on top of premium price... to have it said, I don't run win10 / dx12 yet, so I might have to deal with it sooner or later (thanks uwp).

19. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I think you have never seen ati tray tools, it makes radeon pro and nvidia inspector look like a poo. Unfortunately program is old and doesn't support anything over hd6xxx series. I was using it up to hd6850, when i switched to hd7790 unfortunately it didn't work with it anymore.

AMD has amd hd3d for stereoscopic 3d, nvidia has better marketing with their 3dvision, that's all.
    Adaptive sync was present on amd/ati cards since ever so another invalid argument from you.

Fast sync is another vsync method, nothing really game changing, groundbreaking, etc. It has some positives, some negatives but this option alone is not worth to change gpu just for it.

20. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I highly doubt most people here are playing with hd6xxx gpus. :3eyes: