Nvidia Fast Sync Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vbs, May 28, 2016.

1. 80T

80T Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTS250 1GB
    Just try using DXtory to limit your FPS to 60 or whatever refresh rate your monitor is and make sure your game settings are lower than what your card can handle at any given time for 60 FPS to eliminate 99% of the micro-stuttering or if you're lucky even 100%. Failing to lower your settings to something that your GPU can render constantly at more than 60 FPS at all times will make your game stutter every other second/s. Basically you're aiming for just-in-time (JIT) rendering, pretty much what consoles are doing for years. So... as I've said two times already, lower your game graphical settings up to a point where your GPU can actually handle it without an issue. One frame that takes more than 16.6ms to render will grant you a micro-stutter. Consoles usually get away with JIT rendering just because this very reason. Every single frame in a game is though out beforehand to never exceed the desired rendering time. So, if you want the benefit from lower latency and no tearing at the same time, make sure you are ready to skimp on visuals. Anyhow... you'll still have a slight performance/"stability" upper hand since your GPU will be less stressed, thus it would maintain higher boost clocks for longer periods of times (if needed), and your CPU will also have more "down-times" between frame end and new frame, so it would be better able to cope with various loads like background processes and even the game logic itself.

Oh and don't forget to set maximum pre-rendered frames to "1"... you wouldn't want the game engine to mess up with your "JIT rendering". Some games are very sensitive about this setting (Tomb Raider 2013 for ex.)

For other games, like Alan Wake, you would also want to check "Disable Delay Processing" in DXtory.

I've tested this with Alan Wake & American Nightmare, Tomb Raider 2013 and few other games. Working pretty much flawlessly and with lower latency than standard V-Sync. Yes, it really works even for 60 FPS! The thing about "X" times higher FPS it's just to further reduce latency and not having to deal with frame pacing, since there would always be at least "X" frames to chose from in the 16.6ms interval. With 60 FPS only, things start to be more finicky since you must make sure that not even one frame is ever going under that 60 FPS threshold so, no frame over 16.6ms or you're stuttering.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Does for me as i get no Tearing in any of them.

3. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    this works wonders in Overwatch, Super smooth! using 368.25 drivers and also have my fps limited to 120fps

4. mr1hm

mr1hm Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super XC Ultra
    tried it out on CSGO and Overwatch earlier and it seemed smooth for the most part.

however, i did see some noticeable stutters on a few occasions (sometimes it was just bad, other times it was acceptable), especially during moments when FPS would rapidly change from my monitor's refresh rate (144hz).

this was on 368.25, haven't tried 368.22

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If you are on windows 7 8 10 windows mode already has it versions of vsync from aero/ desktop composition it just dont have lock to the monitors hz speed. which why notihng windowed/windowed fullscreen tears to being with less desktop composition/aero is disable, it can be disable in win 7 and 8 but 8 is more complicated to disable and dont think it can be done in 10

if fast sync worked in windowed mode it would override the no hz limit and if game could not do 120 it would only do 60. cause that is exactly how it works in swtor in fullscreen exclusive soon as switch to windowed/windowed fullscreen the FPS is no longer locked to 60 cause desktop composition/aero take over.

Pretty much everything in window 8 and up have aero version of vsync applied to so there is no tearing in windowed/windowed fullscreen there is just no limiting to the monitor hz. and this can not be turned off. win7 is only OS it can be done on, which why i ask for some on win 7 to disable aero/desktop composition and test and see it it works? which i wouldnt be surpised if it dont work cause forcing any kind vsync via nvcp or any other means with aero/desktop composition disabled in window 7 resulted in tearing no mater what you did. and if it does work in windowed mode when aero/desktop composition is disabled unlike trying to force vsync when it disabled in win7. it does no one any good in win8-10 cause it cant be disable it has to override aero/desktop composition, be of use in windowed mode for win 8/10. which it current dont on 368.22

Anyway I just tested it again in game I know can hit 120+ DX HR

In fullscreen with fast sync it does 60 fps or 120 fps with a FPS in between for few seconds when it transition between 60 and 120 with no tearing.

DX HR in windowed mode EVEN with vsync in game DISABLED which does nothing cause dont disable vsync, because aero/desktop composition controls it and applies it vsync even if fast sync is enabled, IF fast sync overrided aero/desktop composition, the FPS would be 60 or 120 with few seconds of fps in between 60-120 during the transition. it is not tho it just displays as many FPS as it can all times.

I would of liked it to work in windowed mode cause I play swtor in windowed fullscreen and the mouse is laggy in fullscreen exclusive with fast sync the mouse lag is gone, in windowed fullscreen and fast sync mouse lag is there. along with fact it dont cant do 120 cause engine wont allow it so it will never do more show more the 60fps with fast sync, which holds true for fullscreen exclusive but windowed mode it just 114 fps max or the max fps the engine can muster at all times.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. blackroseMD1

blackroseMD1 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 4090 OC
    I don't think so. With V-sync off and Fast Sync on I'm hitting up to 580 FPS in lockpicking scenes, and usually 100+ FPS in most areas aside from Boston.

7. dynamez

dynamez New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 980ti SLI
    weird thing is, it locks my fps to 60 like vsync. I'm using SLI, maybe thats why?

8. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    setting is redundant for me, caused massive microstuttering

.........../...../...../...../......

basicly like that every second lol not worth the hassle imho.....

9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You should probably not judge a feature before its officially enabled in the drivers without manual hackery :)

10. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Silk smoothness could be linked to fast sync?
    And what about Pre Rendered frames? It needs a bit of experimenting to see how affect input lag and stutters

Personally my favourite setup until now was adaptiveVsync + 1 or 2 maximum pre rendered frames to reduce input lag.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmmm wonder if I should try it too.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    my personal experience playing overwatch with it, has helped massively with my input lag on my mouse, and tearing i was experience. my monitor is a 4k60hz and i have locked my fps to 120fps in frame rate limiter and have fast sync enabled and it has done wonders in overwatch.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well as I've read a bit into it, I set my rig to render 110-130 fps iG, and I'm running a 144Hz Gsync monitor... not sure I'd still get anything out of it, input lag or not. But I can see it being a good addition for anyone driving a 60Hz monitor, be it 4K or 1080p (or even lower on laptops!)

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hmm it doesnt seem to work on halflife 2 , still maxed fps when enabling this

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Your FPS should be about the same as without Vsync. So it sounds like it was working fine, if you were also experiencing no tearing.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    No it didnt work for me.
    I found out there is a conflict in the profiles. I had to delete the halflife source profile for the settings to be effective.
    I understood fast sync wrong btw, it was also because when i enable it , the fps gets locked to 60fps for me but it does feel smoother then normal vsync somehow. dont know if its placebo or not lol

17. Zoson

Zoson Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 2080
    I don't need this because I have GSYNC right?

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Fastsync will only do MORE then 60FPS if 120FPS and multiples of 60FPS can be hit with 1 or 2 seconds of FPS in between those multiples IF the GPU or Game Engine cant hit those multiplies it will only show 60 FPS with Fastsync,

Fastsync dont work in Windowed/Windowed Fullscreen (borderless) games, it Fullscreen Exclusive ATM in 368.22 which is the behavior i just described above

If it doing Max FPS that isnt multiples of 60 fastsync and it dont have that 1-2 second of FPS in between those multiples isnt working.

it is supposed to complement it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Fast sync will work for you in the same way as for others when you'll go above the maximum gsync refresh rate.

20. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    In all the games that I could test, fast sync causes stuttering.